What is your least favorite Muppet Movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I admit, I initially thought I liked it, and there's a few decent segments. But after a while, it sank in and I just really thought it was dark, cynical, and it made the world where Kermit wasn't born look positively saccharine by comparison. Statler and Waldorf are supposed to be funny. In this movie they come across as trolls, not a Greek Chorus of self deprecation.

And there is no excuse for a Muppet movie to be an advertisement for a television show. And I don't mean that cross promotional MTM Muppet Babies fantasy. Fox's hand in the production used to be a mystery, but it was a very not at all subtle commercial for American Idol. That tie in didn't need to be in there. This telefilm clearly was supposed to air on Fox before Disney bought it, and it was clearly meant to tie into their popular show. I mean, it's worse than the NBC crosspromotional stuff in VMX.

Being generous, this could have been a decent project if they gave it more time and had a stronger script, better cinematography and someone who could act. I dunno. Plus, I have to admit, the more I hear about the Hamlet parody film, the more I dislike this one for being made instead.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
At the risk of being "evil-unpopular-opinion-girl" again, Muppets Wizard of Oz at least made me laugh more than once, which is more than I can say for The Muppets (not that it was a good movie, but at least there was that). I laughed once when I saw The Muppets (the barbershop quartet scene), smiled at a few cute scenes, and that was it.
I can at least appreciate MWoO for having the most astonishingly accurate Scooter replacement. Wasn't expecting that, lol. And yeah I didn't laugh much during TM2011 either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If the defenses are "it has Scooter in it" and matter of taste "it made me laugh a little more" you have to admit something's wrong right there. It's nice that it had some old characters, I'll give it that.

MWO has no reason to exist. We had much stronger script ideas flooding Henson after the success of VMX. Even if the script was good, we had someone who could act, and they didn't think they were filming a 1960's episode of Batman, it would still be a classic retelling. That was a step backward. The other 2 classic retellings at least came from an odd necessity of having to work around the deaths of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt, trying to regain its footing. This one just happened somehow. Maybe if it had a round of rewrites and waited to get into production, they could have made it a much more satisfying film.

Taking the Muppets out of the equation and focusing on the Wizard of Oz aspect, this was the worst Dorothy there ever was. Can't act, came off like a Mary Sue. Only worse Dorothy I could think of is the Seta Super Nintendo Game that can't seem to land on a platform.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I like elements of MWO, but it really is quite a bad movie for the Muppets. Granted, a bad Muppet movie is better than most "good" movies, but still... I expect better of them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well I didn't just say "it has Scooter in it." I said it was the best replacement I had heard. I can watch that one scene and enjoy myself. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree to that.

There are characters that try to save this movie, but not to the level of MFS salvation. While MFS is a weak film on many levels, the scenes with Johnny, Sal, Bobo, Pepe, and especially VanNeuter were priceless.

I like elements of MWO, but it really is quite a bad movie for the Muppets. Granted, a bad Muppet movie is better than most "good" movies, but still... I expect better of them.
Taking the Muppets out of the equation, it's the worst Wizard of Oz adaption. Or at least one of them. Even if Ashanti could act, Dorothy was awful in this project. I can't blame the Muppets for it, if anything they make it slightly better than it could be. But imagine if this wasn't a Muppet movie and it was a straight up Wizard of Oz with the same American Idol tie in. On the one hand, every adaption of Oz ever has to be compared to the 1930's movie. And I'll admit, that's unfair. I'd LOVE to see a straight up book adaption of the story someday. But on the other hand, they modernized the story in some very superficial, plasticky ways. I'll give them credit for the CGI the Wizard used. That's sort of in character. But the Wicked Witch filming a snuff film reality TV show and making her like an evil Anna Nichole/Brittney/Jessica Simpson (and whoever else had those forgettable shows). That's even less fresh a reference than the Crock Hunter gag.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'll agree to that.

There are characters that try to save this movie, but not to the level of MFS salvation. While MFS is a weak film on many levels, the scenes with Johnny, Sal, Bobo, Pepe, and especially VanNeuter were priceless.

Taking the Muppets out of the equation, it's the worst Wizard of Oz adaption. Or at least one of them. Even if Ashanti could act, Dorothy was awful in this project. I can't blame the Muppets for it, if anything they make it slightly better than it could be. But imagine if this wasn't a Muppet movie and it was a straight up Wizard of Oz with the same American Idol tie in. On the one hand, every adaption of Oz ever has to be compared to the 1930's movie. And I'll admit, that's unfair. I'd LOVE to see a straight up book adaption of the story someday. But on the other hand, they modernized the story in some very superficial, plasticky ways. I'll give them credit for the CGI the Wizard used. That's sort of in character. But the Wicked Witch filming a snuff film reality TV show and making her like an evil Anna Nichole/Brittney/Jessica Simpson (and whoever else had those forgettable shows). That's even less fresh a reference than the Crock Hunter gag.
I liked the TMS season 1 and Kermit's 50th commercials before watching MWoO much better than MWoO, in fact I skipped the entire beginning portion of the film with Dorthy singing. Another problem with this film. They have an established dog character who was beiginning to be phased in, and then in this they replaced Rowlf as the dog with Pepe. REALLY!! That was the point where I started hating on Pepe a bit. But at least at least this was better than that Gaga death trap. That was much worst than the American Idol/MWoO thing, heck it was a 60-min. commercial to watch MMW and buy the Gaga songs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rowlf would never have worked as Toto anyway.

Also the Gaga thing isn't a movie. It was a crosspromotional thing where the Muppets were added in last minute. I'd agree that it was bad if only the Liberace episode of The Muppet Show didn't exist.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
To all those who disliked The Muppets (2011), I don't blame you. I mean I thought it was a decent film, but it wasn't made for we hardcore fans. The film wanred to re-introduce something, in my opinion, while good, it tryed to much to be hip and new. I can almost see the people making the film

Person 1: Ok, we need to make the muppets all new and like swag, so let's find some celebs that're like totally popular and like hip.

Person 2: Jason Siegel, Neil Patrick Harris, Amy Adams, Whoopie, Selena, and that kid from Modern Family.

Person 3: Perfect, good job, we've finished the film, now let's go get a pizza.

The film was made for non-muppet fans and had some minor throwbacks for we hardcore ones. Then Muppets Most Wanted was made for long time hardcore fans as well as the new fans that the previous film created.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
To all those who disliked The Muppets (2011), I don't blame you. I mean I thought it was a decent film, but it wasn't made for we hardcore fans. The film wanred to re-introduce something, in my opinion, while good, it tryed to much to be hip and new. I can almost see the people making the film

Person 1: Ok, we need to make the muppets all new and like swag, so let's find some celebs that're like totally popular and like hip.

Person 2: Jason Siegel, Neil Patrick Harris, Amy Adams, Whoopie, Selena, and that kid from Modern Family.

Person 3: Perfect, good job, we've finished the film, now let's go get a pizza.

The film was made for non-muppet fans and had some minor throwbacks for we hardcore ones. Then Muppets Most Wanted was made for long time hardcore fans as well as the new fans that the previous film created.
I agree to disagree my friend. I think it was made for hard-core and casual fans. I mean there are several references only true fans get like Bobo and Deadly singing Together Again, the "This is going to be a really short movie" reminded me of GMC, and Rizzo skating in his outfit from MCC, so I have to disagree, but I respect everyone's opinion!