Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

beaker

Reaction score
@Dr Tooth:

Yes! The Muppet Television half of JHH and the Innertube pilot are some of my fave thing ever. The nostalgiatoids can live in 1978 forever, but man do I love 1987-1990 era Jim Henson(Muppet Family Christmas, JHH, Muppet Vision 3d, Cosby Show episode, Tales from the Bunny Picnic, Muppets @WDW, etc) Wish they had made more episodes in that style.

Guys, nostalgia is half the reason Bayformers was successful. Don't discount it. :wink:
Maybe the first one. But by number two(and I literally mean number two...what a piece of dookie), Transformers felt completely detached from the original cartoon in every way shape and form.

beaker

Reaction score
I thought the estimate was supposed to be 10.

Yeah, it doesn't so much seem bad, since this month is one of too many movies, not enough interest. I REALLY hope Peabody and Sherman is considered a success at least...it would suck for BOTH them and the Muppets to be considered failures, especially since Jay Ward Films never had anything remotely successful or well reviewed. There were, like, what? 5 movies that opened this weekend, and Muppets managed to stay in the top 3? Not horrible, actually. I'm sure Divergent and Noah will drop off horribly when Captain America comes out. Hopefully younger audiences will still go see MMW, since CA's a little too intense for them. It'd be great if it domestically made back its budget in the next 2 weeks. Then the dollar theater crowd will just tack on a little more to it.

Still sucks it couldn't get that measly 3 million on it's opening to be considered successful.
Im usually not too taken in by zillion dollar summer action movies, but man...Captain America 2 looks amazing. More excited about that than I was Avengers.

And yeah, MMW is hanging in there. I think it woulda been better to open it in April. Oh well. (Remember MFS opened in March...never a good month for the Muffins)

beaker

Reaction score
It's also a random day in the middle of a work/school week. The fact it's making any money in a random day like that is something. Besides, it would only get matinee ticket prices anyway. It's almost at 34 mil now. Not terribly impressive, but closer to the budget. Noah's going to be blown out of the water by Captain America next week, and it probably cost a fortune to make.
What's funny is the *other* Christian film, God's Not Dead, cost only a million dollars or so to make and is making much more money in the long run than Noah.
Which is to say, it's all about script. And why I wish someday they would make a truly independent feeling(ie: good 'low budget') Muppet road movie. That's how the first Muppet film felt.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It's also a random day in the middle of a work/school week. The fact it's making any money in a random day like that is something. Besides, it would only get matinee ticket prices anyway. It's almost at 34 mil now. Not terribly impressive, but closer to the budget. Noah's going to be blown out of the water by Captain America next week, and it probably cost a fortune to make.
I think its safe to say that MMW can at least make $6 million next week, but then Rio 2 comes out. I hope it doesn't steal too much from MMW, because the first one wasn't really that impressive, so I hope MMW can drop 50% or less that weekend.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Im usually not too taken in by zillion dollar summer action movies, but man...Captain America 2 looks amazing. More excited about that than I was Avengers.

And yeah, MMW is hanging in there. I think it woulda been better to open it in April. Oh well. (Remember MFS opened in March...never a good month for the Muffins)
MFS opened in July, as I believe.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I remember watching MFS for my bro's bday, which is in July.

(just looked it up, July 14)

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score

Too bad God didn't warn Noah what to do when his film "flops" at the box office.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too bad God didn't warn Noah what to do when his film "flops" at the box office.
I'm actually cheesed that it made number one. Son of God quickly faded into the background the second it was released. I guess because Russel Crow wasn't in it.

If only they gave Russel a musical number. Then that would guarantee an audience to stay way.

Edit: Wait... Noah only made, like 40 something million? And that's being called a success? This month hasn't been kind to any movie that isn't about 1950's talking dog cartoons, has it?

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: While Muppet movies aren't box-office blockbusters, I take some comfort that they've fared so well in a cultural landscape that has been increasingly harsh to movie musicals as time goes on.

If you look at the last seven years alone, MMW has already taken in more in North America than Across The Universe (I remain at a loss as to how Across The Universe bombed so badly - it's still one of my favourite movies), the Fame reboot, Joyful Noise and the Glee concert movie.

At its current pace, MMW will also eclipse Rock of Ages (another of my guilty pleasures) by the end of the weekend, should likely finish ahead of the updated Footloose, and even has an outside chance of catching Pitch Perfect.

No, it won't hit Mamma Mia! or Frozen numbers but MMW is continuing proof that the Muppets can still make a movie musical that audiences will enjoy.