Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

Hayley B

Reaction score
*comes out of hiding because I just saw Muppets Most Wanted* I liked it. It's such a shame it didn't make a whole lot like the last movie. But I felt it was just as enjoyable as watching the old show.

I had something funny in what Fozzie said in the end. But I feel I will be spoiling it here. Also I would randomly like to say 'Good Boy Animal' .
Okay bye!

beaker

Reaction score
Here's the best way I can describe it. There's that episode of Muppet Show where the pigs take over everything and Piggy knows very well that that badly disguised "Kermit the Pig" isn't the real deal. But she goes along with it anyway because she's promised a starring role in the opening number. That is the ambitious Miss Piggy we know. That is ironic Muppet humor. In contrast, having Piggy fooled so embarrassingly by a laughably disguised Constantine isn't Muppet humor. It's more akin to Scooby Doo humor. Or some other low budget '70s cartoon where the script is written in a day because they're under deadline. And hey, I like Scooby Doo. But that doesn't mean I want to see the Muppets paying tribute, lol.
Yes but the writers play with even THAT notion at the end. Don't you remember the scene with Kermit, Fozzie and Walter at the end? "Yeah, it was that bad". They're making fun of the Clark Kent trope of how noone noticed it wasnt Kermit. The whole film is extremely self aware without abusing the fourth wall. Aw I never cared for Scooby Doo, then again I hate anything from the 1970's(other than TMS)

beaker

Reaction score
For me, it's 2.5/3 stars. Not out of control amazing, but really good. It had some good jokes (Constantine was hilarious, Sam the Eagle/Ty combo was great) but there was still this element missing, something I can't really place. The performers were fantastic, as always, the directing was good... I don't know, there's something weird I can't put my finger on that's not here, and it's the same way I felt about the previous installment. But in terms of post-Henson Muppet films, I think this one got pretty darn close to the feel of a classic Muppet film. Maybe it's the fact that they tried really hard to emulate that feeling that makes something ring hollow?

Edit: All that said, I don't know how anyone could flat out hate it. It was a really sweet movie. If I had kids, I would want them to see stuff like this, rather than junk like Mr. Peabody or whatever.
THANK YOU! Yes. " I think this one got pretty darn close to the feel of a classic Muppet film." Now of course it's a darker film, has a hollow fake plot, feels weird with Kermit not being in a lot of the movie/with the main characters, and feels off in the plot. But it's the vibe, look, and feel to me that I love so much. And the humor. I mean even 2011 felt WILDLY uneven. Like, where was Gonzo in 2011?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
My friend just took her 8 or 9 year old son to see the film today. At the end he said "I love that movie! I could watch it everyday, over and over!" I'm sure we adult Muppet fans can agree with that! Am I right? Heck, I'm planning to see it during my spring break! (This will be my second viewing)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes but the writers play with even THAT notion at the end. Don't you remember the scene with Kermit, Fozzie and Walter at the end? "Yeah, it was that bad".
I do remember. And like I said earlier, it didn't feel like we were laughing with the Muppets, but rather laughing at them. And I just couldn't get into that.

They're making fun of the Clark Kent trope of how noone noticed it wasnt Kermit.
It did not play that way to me for most of the film. It felt like they were back tracking at the end to make up for how ridiculous they'd made the Muppets look.

In the end, I don't think we're going to convince each other. Agree to disagree. :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
I do remember. And like I said earlier, it didn't feel like we were laughing with the Muppets, but rather laughing at them. And I just couldn't get into that.

It did not play that way to me for most of the film. It felt like they were back tracking at the end to make up for how ridiculous they'd made the Muppets look.

In the end, I don't think we're going to convince each other. Agree to disagree. :smile:
Well I would say you've convinced me of your point, which I actually do agree. It's just I agree more with Drtooth's take that it was intentional trope playing. Especially the paper thin plot tying Ty Berrel and Sam the Eagle into the plot. For me the performance/cinematography/dialogue of the Muppets is so exquisite that I can look past the agreed paper thin plot AND the improable issues you bring up

Peace

Reaction score
Okay, I just saw the movie. My feelings are mixed. While it's an utter delight to see the Muppeteers (Jim: Muppet PERFORMERS!) back on the big screen, something about this movie felt off.

Honestly, I think it was the celebrity cameos. It seemed less like "Oh, isn't it awfully funny to have these actors interact with these Muppets!" and more like "Hey, if you like the Muppets why not check out our array of marketable Disney-Owned Pro- I mean Celebrities!"

It was like the writers and Muppeteers were trying to do their best DESPITE Disney.

The Celine Dion cameo was ridiculous. It just did not need to be there. That was Piggy's song. We already had her sing all those Celine Dion songs earlier, too. (That's another thing that bugs me. Actual popular songs used in the film. It works on TV, but here it just reeks of contractual obligations. I had the same feeling about "We Built This City" in the last film.) They kept shoe-horning her in there, too. She distracts from Piggy's moment, and then she's up front with Piggy in front of the Muppet chorus, and then comes back AGAIN with sparkles no less, right at the end!

It's like there are two plots going on. The movie, and Disney's marketing department. It's like The Muppets are solely being used to advertise the company's other acquisitions. The Muppets are no strangers to advertisement, but it shouldn't be in a major motion picture. It just gives off bad "Lady Gaga Ambiguous Satanic Holiday Special" vibes.

Apart from those gripes, I think the Muppeteers did a fantastic job and it was clear that they had a lot of fun performing, and they accomplished some nice puppetry feats, too. Constantine was the best part of this movie, and I especially love his character in interviews. (Iyy am Ryann from de Mappet Mindseeeht!) And going back to Piggy's musical, I think Eric Jacobson did a fantastic job. And you definitely feel all warm and fuzzy when he sings "A little pink frog and a little green piggy". It was just adorable, ******!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
For me the performance/cinematography/dialogue of the Muppets is so exquisite that I can look past the agreed paper thin plot AND the improable issues you bring up
Yeah that's what it comes down to for a lot of movies. Whether there's that certain personal something that makes any faults forgivable, you know?