Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
Guerrilla puppetry is a blast, and I like for people to see how puppetry works, with puppeteers and arm rods and everything.
You're a boss, Slackbot :smile: I would love to guerilla-puppeteer but I'm not sure if I have the guts, if I'm completely honest about it!

Good to hear about the good numbers in the theater while you were there! :excited:

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
The weekend estimates are out! MMW in its third weekend fell 44.3% to a third weekend estimate total of $6,285,000 down from the $6.9 million estimates, but really it's only like $600,00 of a difference and when the actuals come out it might do better. Right now MMW has gotten a three-weekend domestic total of $42,142,000. Take that people who thought it would only make $30 mil. At the moment worldwide it has $49,642,000, BUT when the weekend foriegn totals come in I bet it'll fly past the $50 million mark. So in all MMW only needs $7,858,000 in its entire run to reach its budget, now tell me if that's not possible?

With Rio 2 comes out next week, the film will be damaged, I expect a sad plummet of about 50% or more :frown:. Here's my forecast of the film.

Weekend 4: $3,142,500 $45 million
Weekend 5: $1,600,000 $48 million
Weekend 6: $900,000 $49.8 million
Weekend 7: WHATEVER GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!!

So by its 7th weekend MMW should be poised to reach the $50 million mark and probably a bit more via. $51 million.
I, uh, don't think the movie needing more than three weeks to break even on a very, very modest budget is something anyone should be celebrating.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I, uh, don't think the movie needing more than three weeks to break even on a very, very modest budget is something anyone should be celebrating.
Uh I think you should read some of the early posts on this thread when people thought this film would only make $30 million in its entire run, even I thought it would wind up with a final total of $45 million. So its not celebrating, because the film over achieved, I'm celebrating, because it didn't turn out to bomb.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Reality check: All of the March films are doing AWFUL. It's kinda strange, and I have no idea who could have forseen this, but all of the March movies are doing rather terrible financially, probably due to the financial and critical success of Frozen and The Lego Movie, still making a ton of money at the box office each week.

Out of the films in March, Muppets is actually doing the best out of them all. Look, Peabody also lost a lot becuase 300: Rise of an Empire was the big-flick, and Muppets suffered becuase of Divergent. The Lego Movie opened with $69 million becuase there was no competition, but yet still makes a lot of money. Muppets are doing well and this movie still has a lot of work to do internationally and on home video sales.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
It's interesting to break down this weekend's North American Top 10. You've got the new Captain America roaring out to the lead (as expected), Divergent and Noah the only other films over $10 million, and then the next four films - including MMW at a respectable #6 - making between $5-7 million each before a steep drop-off for the next three positions, each drawing about $1 million each. Even with all kinds of competition, you can't say MMW isn't holding its own.

That alone might convince Disney to leave it in theatres to the end of the month. I'm not sure who makes the decisions on what movies stay or go, but I agree with previous comments that there could be some ground to make up over the Easter weekend. Let's shoot for $50 million domestically and see how things go overseas.

And hey, look at it this way: At least The Muppets are DESTROYING Schwarzenegger right now!!! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw it at 11:30 today. and the theater was about 2/3 full, mostly families with kids and 1 birthday party. People enjoyed it, although there were two very little kids who vocally wanted to leave; they were bored by the plot-heavy bits and scared by some of Constantine's sequences.

Wanna hear a funny one? Way back when I saw MFS the second time, there was some little kid who was just absolutely bothered by the loudness of the movie and was SCREAMING the entire time before the film. Once it started, he got very quiet very fast and seemed to enjoy it.

Reality check: All of the March films are doing AWFUL. It's kinda strange, and I have no idea who could have forseen this, but all of the March movies are doing rather terrible financially, probably due to the financial and critical success of Frozen and The Lego Movie, still making a ton of money at the box office each week.

Out of the films in March, Muppets is actually doing the best out of them all. Look, Peabody also lost a lot becuase 300: Rise of an Empire was the big-flick, and Muppets suffered becuase of Divergent. The Lego Movie opened with $69 million becuase there was no competition, but yet still makes a lot of money. Muppets are doing well and this movie still has a lot of work to do internationally and on home video sales.
That's what I've been saying. This was a completely weak month of less than 50 million openings (Divergent was supposed to open at 60 mil, only opened at 54... still considered a success because it's Lionsgate, and we have to keep the YA book factories open). 300 did alright its first week, fell REALLY bad it's second. Attendance was down that week too. Peabody had like 20 million and came in first. To say the least of Tyler Perry's thing, Need for Speed, that Ahnold thing... didn't even open up in the top anything. If anything the only films close to hits are Peabody and Divergent.

Lego did come at a time when the only other family film was Nut Job, to be fair. But Lego was a movie that looked like if you didn't go and see it immediately, you were missing out on a cultural phenomenon. What's more, it looked like the kind of movie that grabbed a kid's attention. Meanwhile, Nut Job was a way to get kids out of the house for 2 hours. It did modest at best and was considered a win. But before Cap, Lego was the first huge hit of the year. Nothing even opened close to 70 million. Not even 300.

Sucks the Muppets fell to 6th, especially since Cap was the only movie out. I guess the 2 other comedies felt like a better alternative to Cap... I did see parents taking little kids to see Cap, BTW (long story short, there's 2 theaters owned by the same people, MMW was at the other theater... Peabody and Lego were still there though)... BIG mistake. Think one of them was crying and had to leave.

Seriously.. THAT'S what happens when you put Marvel Heroes on Diapers, people!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also never heard of that movie until the weekend it opened. It was barely marketed. His political life and scandal may have contributed to the film's disappearance, but just general apathy about the film seems to be the more reasonable explanation.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Who is your greatest inspiration?
Kermit- ‘I worked with a great filmmaker and artist named Jim Henson. I’m not sure what exactly he did, but he was always there to give me a lift or lend a hand. He made it fun to be on the set every single day – and he taught me how to ride a bike. Jim is my greatest inspiration.’

Muppet Master

Reaction score
All his movies since he returned from his governor sabbatical have tanked, yet he keeps making them. It's amazing what having a name will get you in Hollywood, even if you're already past your sell-by date.
He should've made his films when he was governor so he could threaten them to watch it.

Waka Waka :embarrassed: