Most Annoying TV Series Ever?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit that NCIS's prerequisite "fake nerd computer hacker that can do things that aren't realistic with computers" character is kinda cute. Other than that, I just can't stand when things that try and don't live up to overly high expectations are looked upon worse than something with NO expectations.

I'll also add, I REALLY used to hate Power Rangers and would mention it here if it was the me from 15 years ago. I HATED that it was the only thing Fox Kids wanted to air, and great, underrated stuff like Mad Jack the Pirate, Spy Dogs, and Toonsylvania always got pushed aside and quickly cancelled to make room for MORE episodes of Power Rangers. But after a while (especially when Fox Kids folded because Disney bought FoxFamily and as a result Saban) I grew to actually respect the series and it's much larger than you think fanbase. Plus, it's a guy in a giant robot suit fighting guys in rubber suits. It would be hypocritical to like Godzilla and dislike that.

Though I still really dislike Digimon, even though I think it's a stronger concept than Pokemon... which I also hate ('cept for The Doronbo Gang Team Rocket)

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Since we're talking live-action shows now, I've always loathed Everybody Loves Raymond. It just seemed so formulaic, every episode had some sort of family dispute that climaxed with the whole family getting together and insulting each other. Funny if you do it once or twice, not so funny if you do it 184 times in a row.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
i thought seifeld was annoying many things about it that made it annoying to me too many to list

Drtooth

Reaction score
Since we're talking live-action shows now, I've always loathed Everybody Loves Raymond. It just seemed so formulaic, every episode had some sort of family dispute that climaxed with the whole family getting together and insulting each other. Funny if you do it once or twice, not so funny if you do it 184 times in a row.
I really used to like it, but I'm not compelled to watch it again. I was refreshing to have such a dysfunctional family com where the adults had all the problems and the kids were barely in focus. I mean, I really hate pretentious kids in sitcoms. But the mother and wife of Ray were both horrible people. The more I watch it, the more I just can't take them and feel that Frank was right the whole time.

On the other hand it's intriguing that 2 members of the cast both played Frankenstein.

Still, that show is nothing compared with ABC's 2000 sitcom line up. Katie Segal and John Ritter couldn't save 8 Simple Rules from being generic, Hope and Faith was deplorable, My Wife and Kids was a sad reminder that Dayman Wayans used to be funny, and According to Jim is probably the most obnoxiously homophobic sitcom I've ever seen. I DID like George Lopez, though... but mainly because of him and his mother. And the episode where he has the Jetsons nightmare was awesome.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Still, that show is nothing compared with ABC's 2000 sitcom line up. Katie Segal and John Ritter couldn't save 8 Simple Rules from being generic, Hope and Faith was deplorable, My Wife and Kids was a sad reminder that Dayman Wayans used to be funny, and According to Jim is probably the most obnoxiously homophobic sitcom I've ever seen. I DID like George Lopez, though... but mainly because of him and his mother. And the episode where he has the Jetsons nightmare was awesome.
It's a shame that 8 Simple Rules was the last thing John Ritter really worked on before he died, since it was such a bland show. He definitely deserved a better show with better material, if only to make up for having to carry Three's Company for all those years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really never got the point of those bland family sitcoms they had back then. I especially wanna know how good of a contract they gave Jim Belushi to keep that piece of garbage on for so many years (the last 2 seasons being burned off in summer). I'm so glad we have better family sitcoms on that channel now.

Well... 'cept for that Tim Allen thing.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
So we're doing live-action shows now? Okay, I have a few:

• iCarly: It's just plain unpleasant, and not funny. The main character is bland (and I don't know who wanted to see that little brat from Drake and Josh in a starring role, but they must have been nuts), her best friend is a nasty little snot (I hate when writers write a character as a tomboy just to give her an excuse to act like a jerk while still being considered a "good guy"; and I use the word "tomboy" loosely, as Sam didn't really do much that would be considered tomboyish (play sports, climb trees, wear particularly non-feminine clothes or even hang out with mostly guy friends); she just acted like a jerk and talked about how much she loved food, but I digress), the only adults on the show are all morons, and of course, the only reasonably sane person on the show (the tech boy who has a crush on Carly) gets treated like dirt by everyone (really, I thought that whole "nerds/geeks are stupid; throw rocks at them" mindset died off at the end of the '90s). And kicking off that (thankfully brief) period where YouTube one-trick pony Fred was Nickelodeon's golden boy didn't help the show's case at all.
  • Victorious: Just another show that glorifies the mindset that "beautiful" people are the only ones who deserve kindness, and of course, the only thing that matters in life is becoming famous:rolleyes: . Any characters on this show who aren't just flat-out unlikable are too bland to feel either way about.
  • Sam & Cat: Yeah, brilliant idea! Take the two most annoying characters from the previous two shows and put them together! And have them run a babysitting service! Aside from the obnoxiousness of the two main characters, all the bad writing in the world couldn't get me to understand how any parents would leave their children in the care of these people. Can Nickelodeon just stop letting Dan Schneider create TV shows? He's NOT good at it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dan's probably got waaaay too much clout on that network anyway. That's probably the reason why they forcefully make all their cartoons that aren't Spongebob (or THANKFULLY not TMNT for the time being as it sells toys) flop, so they have more room for this stuff.

Monster and Robot deserved better.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
"Raymond" is one of the few shows in recent memory I actually like. Even though my wife got all seasons on DVD, somehow when they show up on TVLand, I catch an episode I never saw before. Maybe I'll get tired of it in a few years, but for now, I can still enjoy it.

Oddly enough, I don't like "Seinfeld" anymore. During its prime, I used to stay home on Thursday nights to catch it, and was a little sad to see it end. But going back and watching it now, I don't find it funny anymore, and Jerry and George seem even more annoying now. Oh well, different strokes for you and me.

Princeton

Reaction score
"So we're doing live-action shows now?"
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.* Mine is Big Bang Theory. I have Asperger's, which is a mild form of autism (man, I'm airing out all my demons in this thread, aren't I?). Well, I had a therapist one time who suggested I watch BBT because 'there was a very strong possibility' that the characters on that show had Asperger's. All I can say is if that's ture, then BBT is a big insult to those with Asperger's. The characters on that show are rude and obnoxious and frankly much lower on the autism spectrum than Asperger's.

*Don't think that I'm succumbing to the inclusion of live-action shows on this thread with a smile on my face, because I am in fact FURIOUS with the blatent disregard for the criteria set for this thread by ME.​