Votes: 18 9.9%
  • 2 Stars - Fair

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 1 Star - Poor

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know you guys might be on to something talking about Kermit and Piggy's relationship. I agree with the recent TP review that the marketing for this film missed the mark as far as focus. The Kermit's evil double plotline just isn't that compelling a draw. Especially if you're trying to attract a new audience. Why should kids care about an evil twin if they barely know the good twin in the first place? They should have milked the idea of Kermit and Piggy possibly, FINALLY getting married...except it's not really Kermit! And actually that's where the focus of the story should have been as well, instead of wasting time embarrassing the other Muppets.

In the long run I'm not that worried about the Muppets though. Their ability to stay in the public consciousness goes far beyond any awkward reboot. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got that it was meant to be ironic. But like I said earlier, it felt like the joke was ON the Muppets in this film. We were being asked to laugh AT them, not WITH them. That's not why I go to see a Muppet movie. The writers had a very shallow understanding of the Muppets.
And the ones that do have a general understanding of the characters keep subjecting us to deeply depressed Gonzo. Seriously... MFS, VMX, LTS. He had an excuse in the first 2... but LTS? Why did he turn into Winnie the Pooh from his Christmas special? Being a loner, not being appreciated in another universe, sure... but he's pretty freaking depressed that he couldn't deliver a letter. The first 2 times were character depth. The third was Flanderization. We've had worse cases of character derailment, but I don't want to list them all.

Let me be the polar opposite opinion here, and say that this film actually made me appreciate the last 20 years of post-Henson projects less. There is a missing nuance, no argument there, but it's a nuance that hasn't been in any of the last projects anyway, why is it important this time? Personally, I'm just happy Gonzo's back to dangerous stunts, Piggy's not running after Kermit and Kermit's not responding with fat jokes (like in every single pre-Disney Buy out interview and TV appearance), and the Muppets aren't subjected to a gimmick movie or one where they have to use a pre-existing story instead of an original-ish one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Why do you think it hasn't been important before this time?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
There is a missing nuance, no argument there, but it's a nuance that hasn't been in any of the last projects anyway, why is it important this time? Personally, I'm just happy Gonzo's back to dangerous stunts, Piggy's not running after Kermit and Kermit's not responding with fat jokes (like in every single pre-Disney Buy out interview and TV appearance), and the Muppets aren't subjected to a gimmick movie or one where they have to use a pre-existing story instead of an original-ish one.
VERY we'll-said, dear! Although I am shamelessly fond of AVMMC, I just languished in depression during the time Kermit was so mean to Piggy. I have to admit that this movie has many fine points (especially once I stopped looking at it as totally autobiographical and more as "there is truth here but not ALL of this is truth") and one of the truths of this movie is that even when you love people they can drive you NUTS! Kermit yelling at the hardened prisoners in the gulag as a reaction to remembering his irritating, boundary-pushing (okay, boundary-crossing) friends was a total TMS moment. Kermit being attracted to Piggy but clearly terrified of being out of his depth was classic. Gonzo running with bulls...well, do I even have to say it? And while Fozzie does not get to crack lame jokes, he does show off two of his OTHER well-known attributes--loyalty and bravery.

This one is growing on me, no joke, for the little moments of truth and affection we get to see.

Ru

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Since I saw MMW for the third time, I was SO wrong thinking there was CGI in this film. This movie I felt was pure pupperty and I absolutely adore full-body Muppets. Who doesn't

Constanine in his fullbody dancing in "I'm Number One" is a reference to the Gene Kelly episode of the TMS when Kermit was full bodied dancing on the piano.

There is no such thing as CGI in Muppets. The Muppets are puppets! How hard can that be?

There was pure Muppety goodness and puppetry.