Movies You Like But Everyone Else Hates.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a not horrible third movie out of a trilogy. The third film being good is a rare bird in and of itself, but one that really manages to stand out is a nigh impossible feat achieved only by Toy Story and Iron Man. The third's usually where the films break apart, even if there was supposed to only be 3. When there's a 4th one, that's usually the worst of the bunch.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's a not horrible third movie out of a trilogy. The third film being good is a rare bird in and of itself, but one that really manages to stand out is a nigh impossible feat achieved only by Toy Story and Iron Man. The third's usually where the films break apart, even if there was supposed to only be 3. When there's a 4th one, that's usually the worst of the bunch.

The third movie in a superhero movie franchise also seems to be unsuccessful, even when they are successful at the box office (but sales can be different from opinions). The third Superman and Batman movies were both in the top 5 at the box office for their respective years, but many fans seem to dislike them (Batman Forever is tied with Batman Returns as my favorite Batman movie, and I think there's more Batman fans who like Batman Forever than there are Superman fans who like Superman III) only for the fourth film to be the franchises kiss of death, leaving them out of theaters for at least a decade (and when they return, it's a reboot). Though I've noticed that superhero movies where the third film wasn't successful (X-Men III and Spiderman 3) had film reboots a lot sooner than Batman and Superman did.

It makes me wonder if the next Muppet movie, if there is a next one and if it's directed by James Bobin, written by Nick Stoller, and has music by Brett McKenzie, will suffer "third movie syndrome". Muppets Most Wanted was advertised as a "sequel", hopefully the next film won't be unsuccessful (and if it is unsuccessful, hopefully the one after that won't be the "kiss of death" for Muppets in theaters). Then again, every third Muppet movie in theaters has had a longer gap than before. With The Muppets Take Manhattan, it seemed to be more because Jim Henson wanted to work on so many projects at once (though a fourth movie script was being written and developed during Jim's lifetime) and with Muppets from Space it was because that one truly was a flop. And even if you want to count Kermit's Swamp Years and the made-for-TV movies, there was a similarly long wait between The Muppets' Wizard of Oz and The Muppets (but then if you do count those, there wasn't a long wait between MFS and KSY).

scooterfan360

Reaction score
i like howard the duck i get a kick out of when people say that howard and beverly did you know what when they did not do you know what i don"t care that it"s one of the biggest flops of all time i loved it and plan to add the dvd to my collection

Drtooth

Reaction score
The third movie in a superhero movie franchise also seems to be unsuccessful, even when they are successful at the box office (but sales can be different from opinions). The third Superman and Batman movies were both in the top 5 at the box office for their respective years, but many fans seem to dislike them (Batman Forever is tied with Batman Returns as my favorite Batman movie, and I think there's more Batman fans who like Batman Forever than there are Superman fans who like Superman III) only for the fourth film to be the franchises kiss of death, leaving them out of theaters for at least a decade (and when they return, it's a reboot). Though I've noticed that superhero movies where the third film wasn't successful (X-Men III and Spiderman 3) had film reboots a lot sooner than Batman and Superman did.
It took essentially Iron Man 3 for Super Hero films to get a good third one. Even though a lot of stick in the mud purists thought it was awful that they made The Mandarin a not racist Chinese stereotype, you know... because comic book writers have never changed the race, personality, or aspects of a comic book character ever before. :rolleyes: YMMV, but I also tend to think, while weak compared to it's 2 other films, The Dark Knight Returns wasn't bad at all. It does not deserve the hate it gets.

But yeah, the third one's usually when there's a huge shift in the writers or when the producers get greedy and screw something up. If these things ever get a fourth one, the third one looks not too shabby. I have to admit, I can dig Batman Forever, even though Two Face acts like a surrogate The Joker. And frankly, I think Spider-Man 3 sucked because the executive meddling drive Sam Raimi over the edge, and he purposely wrote a crappy script... then rose his price (allong with the rest of the cast) to make sure a fourth film didn't happen.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
YMMV, but I also tend to think, while weak compared to it's 2 other films, The Dark Knight Returns wasn't bad at all. It does not deserve the hate it gets.

You know, I was wondering what audiences generally thought of The Dark Knight Rises, whether it was a success or not. I haven't seen that one or The Dark Knight (mainly because I was so disappointed with Batman Begins).

Drtooth

Reaction score
People love to dump on it because, as I've said before, mild disappointment= worst film EVER. You can't blame Nolan for making Dark Knight so good that it was an impossible act to follow. While I'll admit, it seems he choked under the pressure, he was able to tie the ENTIRE movie franchise together by the end of the film. A rare feat for a trilogy. I honestly felt it was a better movie than the first one, but some guy picked it apart and everyone agreed with him because they were mildly disappointed.

TV Tropes NEEDS a "He Panned it, now it sucks" page.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
My parents hate Air Bud Seventh Inning Fetch and Air Bud Spikes Back.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
1. National Treasure (Two words: JUSTIN. BARTHA.)
2. The Day After Tomorrow (Cheesy disaster flicks are my weakness, also, hi D'Snowth-who-likes-cheesy-disaster-movies-too! :big_grin: )
3. First Bayformers movie, it was very very fun and I love Transformers so it was a win for me. :big_grin: Also the soundtrack was AMAZING!
4. Fourth Pirates of the Caribbbean movie.
5. Hook. :smile: Greatest movie of childhood.
6. Home Alone 3. :big_grin:

I think that's about it for the moment.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
1. National Treasure (Two words: JUSTIN. BARTHA.)
2. The Day After Tomorrow (Cheesy disaster flicks are my weakness, also, hi D'Snowth-who-likes-cheesy-disaster-movies-too! :big_grin: )
3. First Bayformers movie, it was very very fun and I love Transformers so it was a win for me. :big_grin: Also the soundtrack was AMAZING!
4. Fourth Pirates of the Caribbbean movie.
5. Hook. :smile: Greatest movie of childhood.
6. Home Alone 3. :big_grin:

I think that's about it for the moment.
I LOVE HOOK!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
1. The Muppets - my dad hated this movie
2. The Muppets Take Manhattan - my mom definetely started hating this one after we both saw it
3. Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs; my mom hated this movie as well