Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Uh, more classic episodes?

Actually, that would be something. A compilation DVD of just classic street stories that are somehow connected.
Maybe they could have them themed around classic characters who were primarily in street stories, like Big Bird (it'd be great to see footage from the season 7 episode where Big Bird runs for president, or footage from the "Number 4 Show" besides "I Just Adore Four"), Oscar, and Mr. Snuffleupagus.

Maybe there could be a video about how Snuffy was believed to be imaginary. Select episodes where they think he's Big Bird's imaginary friend, ending with the season 16 premiere where some of them decide to believe Big Bird and then the season 17 premiere.

Or maybe a compilation of all the snow episodes from season 5 (I've got to believe that there are more "snow day" episodes than just the ones on iTunes and Netflix). Maybe even some snow episodes from later seasons.

In recent years, there have been single-disc releases with pre-season 33 street stories (mainly from seasons 30-32), so I guess it wouldn't hurt to release more of those.
See, this is why Shout! Factory would have been a better choice for having the rights to release SS DVDs. They really know how to deal with old school TV shows! Plus, they've had the great honor of releasing The Electric Company and Ghostwriter on DVD- both of which are productions of Sesame Workshop. Then again, TEC made only 2 DVD boxed sets as well as 2 single disc DVDs, while only the 1st season of GW has been released on DVD (here we are nearly 4 years later, and there's still no sign of the last 2 seasons being released on DVD.) I mean, who knows what Shout! Factory could have pulled off if they had the rights to release SS DVDs?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably would have kept the theme song.

Shout would have been a good choice. They do indeed have children's DVD releases along side the season sets for serious collectors. They're not perfect (Transformers Headmasters has no eyecatches or next time previews), but I really don't care much for how WB releases DVD's... especially now their budget "this looks suspiciously like a bootleg" looking menus on DVD's... even movies like The Dark Knight parts 1 and 2.

They've gotten better with releasing things... I mean, they have Flintstone Kids (who asked for that? Not complaining, it's not too bad, actually) and they finished Tiny Toons and Animaniacs (something we didn't think possible). Still, It would be great if they weren't so cheap and made original videos more often. or at least made compilation DVD's with new footage. I'm glad they do still do that occasionally, but it's mostly padding of new episodes.

Though this one has Cookie Connoisseur... so I'd definitely pick this up. I LOVED that episode.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Here's the preview for "Alphabet Songs":

I'm very pleased that they chose to include the late 90's version of "C is for Cookie"! Otherwise, I hope they chose more classic clips besides "U Really Got a Hold of Me".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's going to be a Cookie Monster and Friends release (Muppet Wiki actually doesn't say when it will be released), featuring Cookie Monster's Best Bites and C is for Cookie Monster (makes sense, though that'd mean buyers will get "If Moon Were Cookie" twice... Then again, the Old School releases have many of the same segments multiple times).

If Warner is going to make cheap "and friends" releases for Sesame Street characters, here's what I'd do:
  • Grover and Friends (A Celebration of Me, Grover! and Let's Eat! or maybe Happy Healthy Monsters in place of one of those)
  • Bert and Ernie and Friends (Bert & Ernie's Word Play and Bert & Ernie's Great Adventures... I'd include The Best of Ernie and Bert if it were currently in print)
  • The Count and Friends (Learning About Numbers and Elmo Says Boo!... Maybe also Count It Higher, considering that's all half-hour releases)
  • Abby Cadabby and Friends (Abby in Wonderland and P is for Princess)
  • Big Bird and Friends (Big Bird Sings and Big Bird in China or Friends to the Rescue)
  • Oscar and Friends (Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies and Being Green)
  • Zoe and Friends (Zoe's Dance Moves and Imagine That)
  • Telly and Friends (Telling the Truth and We All Sing Together)
  • Rosita and Friends (Fiesta Songs and Quiet Time)
  • Baby Bear and Friends (Three Bears and a New Baby and Love the Earth)

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
*Face-palm* Is that seriously the best Warner Bros. can do if they're not releasing current street scenes on DVD? As Drtooth just pointed out, they really should stop being so cheap and just making compilations of episodes! It would be really nice if they could do stuff for the nostalgia fans every once in a while...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would be really nice if they could do stuff for the nostalgia fans every once in a while...

Well, they have done stuff for the nostalgia fans every "once in awhile". Since Warner Home Video had the Sesame Street license, we have gotten Old School Volume 3 and Best of Sesame Street Spoofs, plus plenty of classic clips in Silly StoryTime, C is for Cookie Monster, Best of Friends, Elmo's Travel Songs and Games, and Fairy Tale Fun (though the majority of classic clips in some of those had been released previously), plus two formerly-rare (as in we didn't have full copies of them before) classic renditions of The People in Your Neighborhood on an Elmo's World release, and every Pinball Number Count segment as a bonus on the Elmo's Magic Numbers release. I'm hoping that Alphabet Songs has plenty of classic alphabet clips.

I'm hoping that they'll put out something aimed at the nostalgia fans this year, whether it be Old School Volume 4, a special 45th anniversary release, a character compilation, or something unexpected.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
*Face-palm* Is that seriously the best Warner Bros. can do if they're not releasing current street scenes on DVD? As Drtooth just pointed out, they really should stop being so cheap and just making compilations of episodes! It would be really nice if they could do stuff for the nostalgia fans every once in a while...

the "and Friends" DVD is actually part of a larger series they do with their other "kid" properties, like Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo. They're not meant to be anything spectacular.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, in July there's going to be a release called Learning Rocks. From the description, it sounds like another release of two full-hour episodes, but I'm not sure.

No bonus features were announced, but this would be a good release to include Rock & Roll! or Count It Higher as bonus videos. Or a selection of bonus rock and roll clips. I'd buy the release if it had every number from Little Jerry and the Monotones or Chrissy and the Alphabeats (we'll probably be lucky if it's just one clip of either group).