The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, that doesn't look that bad, but the animation is still pretty low quality (below weekly TV series CGI quality), and those are some pretty ugly character designs.

The writing could actually be good, but it just looks like an ugly film.

Slackbot

Reaction score

My first thought is that all the characters look like potatoheads, with various features haphazardly stuck on blank faces without much regard for the end product. Seriously, is a single one of those characters even remotely appealing? Sorry, lady in black, wax lips and cleavage can't save you now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those designs wouldn't translate to 3-D if they were Pixar quality. Jimmy Neutron was less ugly. And I like Neutron.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Certainly not Last Flight bad in terms of animation quality, but still pretty icky.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Ah, yes. Glasgow Animation, Castle Urquhart, Saltire parachute, 'Highlands', 'North-West Scaaaaat-land', fishing towns, Sean Connery, Alan Cumming. Geez, just add the kilts, William Wallace, the Highland games and a politician ranting about independence and you got a film fit for the SNP! (On behalf of unpatriotic Scots, I apologise)

Also;
  • Did anyone actually understand what the trailer was telling us about the plot because I got nothing out of that.
  • Since when did Scotland (or any of the UK for that matter) have narrow, cliff roads with no fences or support?
  • Never trust a film that has Glasgow Animations attached to it, as you van clearly see.
  • Sir Sean, you won't come back to Scotland unless it becomes independent, let alone make another movie. Why bother with this film? (According to his wiki, he's also executive producer. Sheesh)
  • Alan, I like you. I really do. You were cool in X-men 2. Please find a decent flick to work on. Just once more.
  • Anyone notice the outline around the characters? Aren't those things supposed to be removed so it looks like the character is actually there?

Drtooth

Reaction score
  • Sir Sean, you won't come back to Scotland unless it becomes independent, let alone make another movie. Why bother with this film? (According to his wiki, he's also executive producer. Sheesh)
Well, that probably explain it. :rolleyes:
  • Alan, I like you. I really do. You were cool in X-men 2. Please find a decent flick to work on. Just once more.
He kinda has a thing for appearing in bad films. I'd say he was not just in the Smurfs film, but also played the worst character in it, but the Smurfy Hollow side special was actually quite good, and they rescued his character from the Scrappy heap, as it were.

Still, this film is strange. I could appreciate the indie international production company aspect, but ... eh... film's ugly.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
So, do you think Legends of Oz should be added on to this list? It probably deserves it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Definitely, but on the less horrible than Food Fight side of the scale. There's not too much worse than Food Fight. Legends of Oz has a Ken Visleman level of complete and utter obliviousness to it. They promoted the heck out of it, it got a comic book prequel series and merchandising, and NO ONE wanted it. It's hard enough to warm anyone up to any Wizard of Oz adaption that isn't the 1930's movie or Wicked. That Disney one from last year was one of the more successful ones, and opinion is still volatility mixed on it. But I've yet to see a Wizard of Oz that isn't either of the two mentioned that has a sizable following. The 30's movie overshadowed the books in a high case of Adaption Displacement.

But let's face it. This was a fifth party animated film. Those don't tend to do very well. If Dreamworks isn't packing them in recently, things aren't looking too good for Summertime studios... which no one has heard of, nor ever will. Not to mention the obvious ick factor from the trailers, making it look like a generic kiddy animated film, and a lame one at that.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Well, Planes 1 and 2 should also be on here, but less horrible than Legends of Oz.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only kind thing I can say about Planes 2 is at least the tired underdog racing plotline is gone. Cars had a race for its plotline, but it wasn't the main focus, even Cars 2's racing plot was supplemental.

So basically they trade the banal racing "you can be anything no matter how illogical and dangerously unskilled" plot for a watered down episode of Rescue Heroes. Sadly, slightly better.:stick_out_tongue: