The Clarence thread

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
Why is every show recently making a Ducktales reference?

Tonight's new episode is my first introduction to the show. Am I alone in getting a serious Bob's Burgers vibe from how the dialogue is delivered, among other things?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why is every show recently making a Ducktales reference?

Because cartoon writers are all in their 30's, and actually remember the show from when it was first broadcast?

What really surprised me was the Little Nemo/Tales of a Rarebit Fiend reference at the end. I don't think anyone who isn't a comics scholar or under the age of 80 would get that one.

I love the unifying theme in the show that Clarence just wants to make everybody happy. The philosophy a certain frog exhibits, I might add.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I see what Drtooth means about a lot of kids' cartoons having adult-level writing, and this is no exception. The whole thing is a nice commentary of the value of money and that rewarding people even if they screw up is a bad thing, something that adults need to learn about especially.

Clarence's little Scrooge McDuck fantasy was icing on the cake, though I'd say swimming in paper money would be just as bad as coins thanks to all those paper cuts. :eek:

mr3urious

Reaction score
OK, Jeff is officially my favorite character thanks to his Jon Arbuckle levels of nerdiness. Only he would get excited over a toy-based show about courtroom robots that don't do any physical fighting (unlike the commercials), and keep one of the toys boxed up and never play with it. :big_grin:

I also like the little dig at all those repetitive "reality" programs Sumo checks up on. Looks like the writers are thinking the same thing we are.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really like how we've gotten a view into Sumo's world the past 2 episodes. One of many kids who's family needs to shop at a thrift store. I had a feeling he'd have a level of Kenny McCormack/ Nelson Muntz type low class in his upbringing. Makes a nice contrast from Jeff's sparkling clean world and Clarence in between the two.

The girlfriend episode last week was one of the reasons I'm really loving this show. This always offers something a little different, and you never know quite what to expect.

And nice touch with the Clarence lying sequence. I love when cartoons have that weird different animation style in the middle of an episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show returned with a new episode last night, and there's three observations I have.

Jeff isn't exactly above it all in this episode, and he was willing to join the kids in Clarence's mischief without complaint. Nice to know that someone was a bigger stick in the mud than him for a change (justified... it was that kid's house).

And Chad. It seems that he's not quite Clarence's father, probably the sometimes live in boyfriend of Clarence's mother. I like that as a nice, subtle touch that Clarence's mother is single, but involved. Also, I dig his character design. There's something Tensai Bakabon-ish about it.

Thirdly, while you did get to see the parents of Sumo and the round headed kid, somehow, you didn't see Jeff's parents, nor the parents of the girl with braces. Guess the parents let the kid invite some other friends to keep them out of trouble.

Love how Sumo smashed the artichoke and goat cheese croquette.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like all that time spent with Clarence has loosened Jeff up a bit. I guess having two wet blankets would have been overkill.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone slightly disturbed by the Clarence "Get up and Move" commercials? Clarence has got to be like 7 or something, and you have this kid who has to be 12 at least hanging out with him (because you know, kids love to see older kids in things for some reason). Worse? They used clips of the pilot where Clarence was talking about the fun activities at his sleep over (including breaking wood with a hammer and standing on top of the air conditioner) as actual exercise suggestions. Also have him getting followed by 12 year old kid into the Fast Food place's Play Place.

They couldn't have got a younger looking, more appropriate kid for this?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, the latest episode involves Clarence honking a bike horn to try to improve his communication skills and make himself funnier after seeing an ersatz Harpo Marx do it on TV. It gave me bad memories of the SpongeBob episode "Slide Whistle Stooges", but at least here it's not just Jeff he annoys. Plus, Clarence doesn't make fun of sick and dying people like the ending of the aforementioned SpongeBob ep.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too bad the previews gave away the inspired ending. Now that was a clever way to send off his obsession. That's what I love about this series. You don't know exactly what the show has in store every week, other than the twisted world of Clarence and his friends. Him baby bird feeding his horn was precious.

Still, I wonder 2 things about this series... How old is Clarence exactly? What grade is he in? It seems a might confusing since they have lockers. Then again, so don't the students of Springfield Elementary, especially 8 year old Lisa Simpson. And what exactly is Chad's relationship? Clarence's mother is sharing a bed with him in this episode. He's either a serious live in boyfriend or a stepfather. Something tells me he isn't exactly the kid's father... if he is, he certainly has a very informal relationship with Clarence to be on a first name basis instead of calling him dad or something.