Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

galagr

Reaction score
Sheesh so many pessemistics 'round here! Yes Disney isn't jumping for joy, yes it's not as big of a success or even much of a success as the first film, BUT AT LEAST IT'S NOT considered a flop!!

He's not being pessimistic. He's being real.

Listen, everybody, I appreciate your positive attitude throughout this, but let's be honest here. This movie did pretty terrible. It JUST broke it's budget domestically, and it probably won't make that much else. It got fairly mixed reviews. Were the reviews for stupid reasons like too many celebrity cameos and not enough Jason Segal? Yes! But that's what some people listen to when it comes to movies. "Oh, instead of going to see the movie myself, I'm gonna see what someone else with entirely different tastes thinks of this movie!". Me? I loved the movie. Probably one of my new favorites. But, not everyone will like it. And you can't hate or disagree with the people that didn't like it, either.

You can tell me that it had a lot of competition. You can tell me March is a bad month for movies. You can come up with any reason whatsoever. I don't care. People are trying to escape the real truth here. Guys, this movie did bad. Not awful, but still bad.

But that doesn't mean we can lose hope, either. People think that just because this movie did bad, it's the end of the Muppets. It's not. I can almost guarantee that some other big project will be announced within the next year or two.

So, instead of checking the box office total for MMW every ten minutes, take a break from all the worrying, and start speculating about the next Muppet project! Yelling at someone over the internet won't make the movie do better. It's time to move on.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I keep saying it was a flop but people around here refuse to see what's in front of them. It's not being pessimistic if it's the truth I don't sugar coat things folks. I loved this film as well but the reality is it failed to meet Disney's expectations. You don't see them announcing another movie now do you?

galagr

Reaction score
I keep saying it was a flop but people around here refuse to see what's in front of them. It's not being pessimistic if it's the truth I don't sugar coat things folks. I loved this film as well but the reality is it failed to meet Disney's expectations. You don't see them announcing another movie now do you?

I can understand why people don't want to call it a flop. Last time the Muppets had a flop, the franchise was dead for about...twelve years. But, Muppets From Space actually didn't make any money, whereas this film made a little bit. Nonetheless, it still did pretty bad. So yeah, I can definitely see why people don't want to call it a flop. No one (including me) wants to see the franchise die again. It would crush me.

I can't see them doing another movie for a while, no. However, if I were the head honcho over at Muppet Studios, here's how I would do things. Sometime this summer, or maybe even next fall, start launching more new Muppet videos on YouTube. I truly feel like those videos were a big part of getting the Muppets popular again. Do maybe two videos a month or so. Keep on doing them until word of a (possible) new T.V. show gets around, then start putting little ten second promos at the end of every video. Premiere the T.V. show, pray to god it does well, and well see from then.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Thank you galagr that's exactly my point. Trust me I was one of those people who didn't wanna admit it did bad I was holding out every week a miracle would happen but when you go and theaters aren't packed well it's not really off to a good start. I absolutely loved this film and I am also crushed at the box office numbers I literally have shed tears over it. It's been three long years in the making. I don't ever want the Muppets to go away I mean their a huge part of our lives as cheesy as that may sound. *No Fozzie I don't actually mean cheese* I am holding out hope the talks of a tv show goes through it's probably the only thing I'm clinging onto right now. But people are trying to put all kinds of pretty words around it saying it's not a flop but in Disney's eyes it is. Once again it's all about the $$$$.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Disney is not stupid though. They more than any other company understand the importance of making money off of DVD releases (or video back in the day). Though the movie did not meet expectations they know there is still money to be had off the DVD release, especially on an evergreen property like the Muppets. Also this seems to be tradition for any Jim Henson related project (Dark Crystal and Labyrinth did not see commercial success at first).

My point to this is that I don't think Disney will shelf the Muppets just yet. I think they will want to gauge how the DVD does. I do think they will be cautious moving forward.

Also I do blame all this on Lady Gaga....worst cross promotion ever.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Fine sheesh, I know it didn't do good, but this isn't MFS! Movies get much worse reception these days. I don't see anyone calling Peabody a flop even though it's got "mixed reviews" (79% ain't mixed), and over $30 million away from its budget. All I'm saying is yes it didn't do great, but it's not a flop, but a disappointment.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
He's not being pessimistic. He's being real.

Listen, everybody, I appreciate your positive attitude throughout this, but let's be honest here. This movie did pretty terrible. It JUST broke it's budget domestically, and it probably won't make that much else. It got fairly mixed reviews. Were the reviews for stupid reasons like too many celebrity cameos and not enough Jason Segal? Yes! But that's what some people listen to when it comes to movies. "Oh, instead of going to see the movie myself, I'm gonna see what someone else with entirely different tastes thinks of this movie!". Me? I loved the movie. Probably one of my new favorites. But, not everyone will like it. And you can't hate or disagree with the people that didn't like it, either.

You can tell me that it had a lot of competition. You can tell me March is a bad month for movies. You can come up with any reason whatsoever. I don't care. People are trying to escape the real truth here. Guys, this movie did bad. Not awful, but still bad.

But that doesn't mean we can lose hope, either. People think that just because this movie did bad, it's the end of the Muppets. It's not. I can almost guarantee that some other big project will be announced within the next year or two.

So, instead of checking the box office total for MMW every ten minutes, take a break from all the worrying, and start speculating about the next Muppet project! Yelling at someone over the internet won't make the movie do better. It's time to move on.
Sometimes people refuse to see what's in front of them and that's obviously the case here. You can say it's not a flop and whether it made budget or not it didn't exactly blow the numbers out of the ball park either. And to say Disney wasn't disappointed is an understatement. Cause let me tell you the headlines I've been reading about the film are anything less then positive and that's not being pessimistic it's the facts. I'm unwatching this thread because it's pointless going around in circles. It's time we move on too I think galagr. Lol