Commercial rant time...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That Truvia one is also really obnoxious in its guilt tripping, too."Oh, if I eat one little bit of sugar I'll suddenly gain a thousand pounds!" Kiss my lumps, Truvia! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but that part of it I accept as the same, lame hard sell for woman focused projects. Anything and everything is conspiring to make you fat, I get that. But these fake geeky sounding songs are giving me a headache. Not everything sung by a woman has to sound like it could out quirky a song written and performed by Zoe Deschanel for Adventure Time.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
THOSE BLUETAX COMMERCIALS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CREEPY! The animation is horrendous, but they make that character Max directly in your face screaming "WOW!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
THOSE BLUETAX COMMERCIALS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CREEPY! The animation is horrendous, but they make that character Max directly in your face screaming "WOW!"
Those are terrible, and somehow Blue Tax doesn't seem legit as a result of:

• Below amateur level of CGI visuals
  • Constantly changing the telephone number/website
  • advertising during local daytime television, usually on obscure channels.
I wouldn't trust my money with them at all, actually.

Also, if I have to suffer that freaking smart phone commercial where they sing about "Gigantic" one more time.......

snichols1973

Reaction score
I've got to admit, a few of these Progressive ads are getting to be rather far-fetched, since they apparently tend to over-emphasize the "perkiness":

Progressive.com Commercial - "Tricked Out Name Tag" - YouTube

As for the "cigarettes are bullies" anti-tobacco campaign, the shabby guy in the white T-shirt and brown slacks that symbolizes a cigarette is like a twisted version of "Simon Says":

FDA TV Commercial, 'Cigarettes are Bullies' - YouTube

Even Lendingtree.com has been known for using a green non-Muppet whatnot "puppet" known as Lenny:

Dummy Puppet - Lending Tree TV Commercial - YouTube

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else think those lame Dish Network or whatever commercials about "ugly wires" are just the height of creepy for creepy's sake, only clumsy?

First off, it implies the guy...well... with a puppet. He has a kid with one, for Glob's sake. They even had a commercial where the puppet essentially asked if she still turned him on! Really. I didn't know there was such a call for hot human on life sized marionette action in commercials. Secondly, I get the old "why bother creating a loveable, memorable corporate mascot when we can just throw a temporary freakin' creepypasta wannabe out there and have people complain about it for word of mouth" trick... but really? Going with puppetphobia here because that's the only wires they can think of? And give them jerky movements to sell that scary stuff home? I'm surprised they went with cute-ish Pixar ripoff designs instead of making them all look like hideous ventriloquist figures.

Seriously, I know creepy mascots like the Midas hand and the Ticket Oak (which as of late, they're trying to make goofy instead of horrifying- and failing at both)... but this is just... well, let me put it this way. I get the appeal of Mad Man. Smart, savvy ad men agonizing over getting a perfect campaign... now we just have "what looks like the most drug inspired piece of crap we can throw together in 10 minutes and get paid for it"

Eyeball

Reaction score
I swear if I see another X hose advert on TV I'm going to buy one and string the guy in the advert up with it!, how many times must they list how the hose doesn't kink and that it can fit in a flower pot?, sorry if my rant may seem a bit pointless to those in the US but over here this advert comes on every channel for like 5 minutes at a time!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Those commercials air here too, especially on my local CBS station during the day. Daytime TV advertising is filled with junk ads like that and ones for stair-lifts and lawyers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, those commercials are a bit annoying. Especially the weird sliding scale of "you're going to die" commercials they have on retro television networks. I mean, you're either in you're late 60's with you're full life ahead of you ("big Plans") or you're thinking about final expenses as you're about to die of old age, and know it's just around the corner. WHICH ONE IS IT?!?! Constantly being reminded of your mortality...ehhhhh... doesn't exactly make watching Get Smart fun.

But yeah, the commercials for mail away products are obnoxious. You think the Pocket Hose one's bad? All the non-stop commercials for plush toys that do something else. They're worse, and there's so many of them. They even have ones that turn into actual clothing.... in adult sizes! And they have to rhyme in every commercial. UGH!

But at least those kinds of commercials have the Kermit the Frog school of advertising. They tell what the product actually does (or is supposed to do). Commercials with a creepy thing floating around for 29 seconds announcing what they're selling at the last second.... never a fan of those.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
But yeah, the commercials for mail away products are obnoxious. You think the Pocket Hose one's bad? All the non-stop commercials for plush toys that do something else. They're worse, and there's so many of them. They even have ones that turn into actual clothing.... in adult sizes! And they have to rhyme in every commercial. UGH!
Wow, I've never heard of the plushes that turn into clothes. That seems really creepy conceptually. Who looks at a stuffed animal and thinks "man, I want to wear this"?

Drtooth

Reaction score

Yeah. Those are a thing.

Cute for kids under the age of 5, disturbing for anyone older. And they totally want you to wear these in public.