Adults should watch Mr. Rogers

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Well, it's certainly allowed to mention God on television. The point of Tom Brokaw's quote was that, though Mister Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister and viewed his television show as his special calling and ministry to show God's love to children, he never made it overtly preachy or anything. He simply lived out his faith and showed a great example of Christlike love and kindness. That's all I was trying to say too. And I love that.:smile:
Oh I understand my friend...I'm saying at the time the show started it wasn't really allowed, but I agree with you 100%!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Christlike love and kindness. Yes, that was him. He always treated his viewers with respect, regardless of their age. He never talked down to us, never had a condescending attitude, never had to "dumb down" his message. He was able to talk to us on our level, and he instilled that childlike wonder and innocence in us, which is exactly what God wants. So without patronizing to any particular denomination or creed, he still did God's work in a way that could reach everybody.

There was a special that aired just a few months after I was born. Mr. Rogers talked to kids (though Daniel) about the aftermath of Bobby Kennedy's assassination. He explained that we live in a violent world, bad and scary things happen, and he helped kids overcome their fears, and try to help them understand why things like this happen. He didn't sugarcoat anything, but he was as loving, sensitive, and patient as he always was.

If you ever get to visit the Paley Center in New York (I believe there are also branches in L.A. and Chicago), they have this episode in their library. Worth its weight in gold.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh I understand my friend...I'm saying at the time the show started it wasn't really allowed, but I agree with you 100%!
Actually when the show started it might have been more allowed than it is now. I've seen episodes of Howdy Doody where the host talked about the audience going to church or synagogue. It certainly became controversial to mention God on a kid's show, but I dont think it was outright not allowed. I Could be wrong; I'd have to do some research on that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some experts say what a child is exposed to between the ages of zero and five will shape their lives more than anything else. Having been born in 1968, I got exposed to Mr. Rogers, the first four years of Sesame Street, Electric Company, Zoom, Carrascolendas, anything on the PBS line-up was solid gold to me- even the test patterns!

I have to admit, while the cartoons of the 1970's were...kinda embarrassing (with certain remarkable exceptions), the 1970's was a big time of growth for live action children's programming. And that expanded into the 80's, of which I have to say...I miss Reading Rainbow. There actually were some good ones in the 90's, but it felt like playing follow the leader with Barney the Dinosaur (in the cynical, marketing sense). I honestly feel that Boobah was the terrible kid's show event horizon, and things have gotten slightly better since (more now than in the early 00's). I guess they realize that kids are sick of being treated like idiots. I hear that there's going to be a Playhouse Disney show featuring the 7 Dwarfs with various Animaniacs creative types working on the show. That sounds fabulous.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I couldn't get enought of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. I watched it like how Cookie Monster loves cookies (sometimes) but still enjoyed the show. When i saw that our PBS doesn't show it anymore i was pretty mad. Plus the only time i ever saw it on was early early in the mornings. When kids wouldn't even be up yet. I would love to see PBS show some of the earlier shows. I would watch them.

But i think kids now a days needs Mr. Rogers really badly. But I agree with what everyone has said here. Keep the post a going.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also really like how much of a sense of humor he has, what with Eddie Murphy's Mister Robinson on SNL or Jim Carrey's perverted parody on In Living Color ("Mister Rogers kicked my a**!" :smile: ). But one that Rogers wasn't too thrilled about was a Burger King commercial that showed a very close facsimile of him doing something much more innocent: shilling Whoppers. Concerned over his target audience being confused, he told BK to stop showing that immediately, and they did.

I don't blame him for being upset over a parody like that, as clearly no kid is going to get fooled by the other two. Plus, they're broadcast late at night, where fewer kids were likely to come across them on TV.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have to admit, while the cartoons of the 1970's were...kinda embarrassing (with certain remarkable exceptions), the 1970's was a big time of growth for live action children's programming. And that expanded into the 80's, of which I have to say...I miss Reading Rainbow. There actually were some good ones in the 90's, but it felt like playing follow the leader with Barney the Dinosaur (in the cynical, marketing sense). I honestly feel that Boobah was the terrible kid's show event horizon, and things have gotten slightly better since (more now than in the early 00's). I guess they realize that kids are sick of being treated like idiots. I hear that there's going to be a Playhouse Disney show featuring the 7 Dwarfs with various Animaniacs creative types working on the show. That sounds fabulous.
Exactly. Like we've mentioned elsewhere, on Saturday morning network tv in the 70's, there were a few bright spots like "Fat Albert", Chuck Jones' short-lived "Curiosity Shop", and others that strove to be more than just 22 minutes of filler between commercials. But the rest of it was pretty dim.
That's what made the PBS roster in the 70's that much more special. Your intelligence wasn't insulted, and while you were entertained you did get to learn some redeeming lessons. Your parents could leave you in front of the tv for a while and not worry about your brain turning to mush. (And your parents COULD watch with you and enjoy it almost as much as you).

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I have a book called Dear Mr. Rogers, which is a collection of letters written to him and his answers, and it's very interesting. From parents writing for their children to adults writing him for marital advice, it's clear that he was always eager to respond and share his thoughts, and it never comes off as preachy or dishonest. He didn't talk down to kids, he gave them simple and honest answers.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
Here's a great video from Mental Floss with 35 facts about Mr. Rogers:

Man, I miss the days when Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Sesame Street were the only reasons I had for getting up early.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Oh, okay- cool.:smile: