Adults should watch Mr. Rogers

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually when the show started it might have been more allowed than it is now. I've seen episodes of Howdy Doody where the host talked about the audience going to church or synagogue. It certainly became controversial to mention God on a kid's show, but I dont think it was outright not allowed. I Could be wrong; I'd have to do some research on that.
I really hate how it sounds like it's a new thing, since we know that the network (and even some of the animators) were on Charles Schulz's neck for the "And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown" bit back in the 60's. Yet, they managed to do oddly biblical stories on Animaniacs. I don't recall any religiously themed Looney Tunes shorts. Weird.

The weirdest manifestation of that is the NBC broadcast of Vegitales. The network wanted to downplay the Christian values segment, which for better or worse (I guess technically) would find common ground on the morality Aesop of the series... if only they didn't wind up airing so many episodes based on actual biblical stories. How...how does that work? If you're hiding the religious content, why would you allow religious stories?

Then again, I remember seeing unaltered episodes of their sister show about Penguins. That's just... confusing at best.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That was incredibly annoying to me when NBC wanted to air VeggieTales. If you're going to air the show, air it as is- it sounds like needless censorship to me to cut out Bible references and tone down Christian content- I mean, the whole show is based on telling Bible stories in many episodes and teaching Biblical principles and values. That's kinda the whole point.
And yeah- the controversy about "A Charlie Brown Christmas" was crazy too- Jesus coming to be born and die on the cross and rise again to provide forgiveness of all sins- to be the Savior of the world- that IS what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown. And if we can air Rugrats Chanukah and Passover specials and Sesame Street can explain about Hannukah, Kwanzaa and Christmas- then I think there should be allowance for open expression (freedom of speech and freedom of religion) to put the content out there on the networks- in an age appropriate way. (And surely the parents can determine if something is going to clash with their beliefs that they don't want their kids to see- or they can watch it with them and talk with their kids about it.)

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
The weirdest manifestation of that is the NBC broadcast of Vegitales. The network wanted to downplay the Christian values segment, which for better or worse (I guess technically) would find common ground on the morality Aesop of the series... if only they didn't wind up airing so many episodes based on actual biblical stories. How...how does that work? If you're hiding the religious content, why would you allow religious stories?
Plus, all those edits were done behind the creators' backs, which was what they were really upset about.

And if we can air Rugrats Chanukah and Passover specials and Sesame Street can explain about Hannukah, Kwanzaa and Christmas- then I think there should be allowance for open expression (freedom of speech and freedom of religion) to put the content out there on the networks- in an age appropriate way. (And surely the parents can determine if something is going to clash with their beliefs that they don't want their kids to see- or they can watch it with them and talk with their kids about it.)
There was even a Rugrats episode about the kids trying to build an ark after learning about the one Noah built, and it strangely wasn't even holiday-themed.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
There was even a Rugrats episode about the kids trying to build an ark after learning about the one Noah built, and it strangely wasn't even holiday-themed.
Really? Didn't know about that one. I'm guessing at least some of the Rugrats kids must be Jewish, given that they've had Passover and Hannukah episodes and learnt about Noah's Ark, as Genesis 6-9 relays in The Bible. (I've never really watched the cartoon except in passing, but I was aware of some of the specials)

mr3urious

Reaction score
Really? Didn't know about that one. I'm guessing at least some of the Rugrats kids must be Jewish, given that they've had Passover and Hannukah episodes and learnt about Noah's Ark, as Genesis 6-9 relays in The Bible. (I've never really watched the cartoon except in passing, but I was aware of some of the specials)
Tommy is Christian-Jewish, like one of the creators of the show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I really hate how it sounds like it's a new thing, since we know that the network (and even some of the animators) were on Charles Schulz's neck for the "And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown" bit back in the 60's.
Oh you're right! Yeah I guess it's probably always been a bit controversial. It's a business and they don't want to alienate audiences. But yeah I do remember Animaniacs doing a Christmas episode that featured the Nativity scene, they were singing "Little Drummer Boy" I believe. There is a way to do these things tastefully without upsetting people and more networks should learn to relax. :stick_out_tongue:

Rugrats' first Christmas special and then later their Passover special were awesome. It was pretty unusual to even have a Passover special on TV and they really did the story justice. I'd watch both of them right now. Unfortunately the subsequent holiday specials were done after the show had already jumped many sharks, heh.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
But yeah I do remember Animaniacs doing a Christmas episode that featured the Nativity scene, they were singing "Little Drummer Boy" I believe. There is a way to do these things tastefully without upsetting people and more networks should learn to relax.
Cool! Exactly. :wisdom:

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Luckily, in the first few years of my son's life ( about 2005- 2010) Mr. Rogers was still on. I remember in 2003 ( when my earliest son was about 3) my wife was crying at the death of him, and my son was all like, " What??" It was a great show, and I wish that he could still spread the message to kids ( even though he would be 85.)

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's a clip of the show that aired after Robert F. Kennedy's assassination in 1968, in which Daniel Striped Tiger asks Lady Aberlin what the word means (and her hesitant, but not beating around the bush, explanation afterward), and later Rogers gives a serious discussion with parents about how to help children cope with tragedies like this. The serious cojones on this guy to use those words in a frank manner!

http://exhibit.fredrogerscenter.org/advocacy-for-children/videos/view/975/

Last edited: