Which Sesame Street character should get a Greatest hits DVD next?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the possibility of a Best of The Count video type release. 16 years ago (I feel so old; I was about 4 or 5 then) when The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street was released, we saw that Kermit had only a few lines or so in the new footage due to being played by Steve there and all the archival footage had Kermit being played by Jim. This got me to thinking, if The Count has his own Best of DVD someday and it's involving him receiving some kind of award- but this time not the Nobel Prize for World's Greatest Counter, does anybody else think that The Count (being played by Matt) in the linking footage would only have a couple of lines, and mostly focus on Jerry's Count in the archival footage?

On the other hand A Celebration of Me, Grover had a good mixture of both Eric and Frank's Grover, and C is for Cookie Monster had a good mixture of both David and Frank's Cookie Monster...so what do I know?

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
I was just thinking about the possibility of a Best of The Count video type release. 16 years ago (I feel so old; I was about 4 or 5 then) when The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street was released, we saw that Kermit had only a few lines or so in the new footage due to being played by Steve there and all the archival footage had Kermit being played by Jim. This got me to thinking, if The Count has his own Best of DVD someday and it's involving him receiving some kind of award- but this time not the Nobel Prize for World's Greatest Counter, does anybody else think that The Count (being played by Matt) in the linking footage would only have a couple of lines, and mostly focus on Jerry's Count in the archival footage?

On the other hand A Celebration of Me, Grover had a good mixture of both Eric and Frank's Grover, and C is for Cookie Monster had a good mixture of both David and Frank's Cookie Monster...so what do I know?

I hear ya.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Here's another idea for a themed release. What about a DVD celebrating some of the most well known non-human Sesame Street species? i.e. a video full of classic clips with the Honkers, Dingers, Yip Yip aliens [The Martians], Twiddlebugs, Grouches, Snuffleupaguses, and monsters. (I realize we could have numerous sketches for Grouches, Snuffleupaguses and monsters- but I'm thinking maybe just a few Snuffy and family sketches to showcase him in his cave and some classic:grouchy: Oscar the Grouch songs and maybe appearances from other grouches. And there are surely enough classic sketches with AM monsters that could be used without going too big on the more well known monsters- though certainly it'd be great to have them included here and there- Grover, Cookie Monster, Herry, Elmo and others.)

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
For that matter, what about the Best of Oscar the Grouch?:grouchy:
Or Telly or Baby Bear?
I also think a Best of Snuffy release would be neat.:wisdom:

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I've been thinking, one great but most-likely unlikely idea woyuld be "The Best of Kermit & His Sesame Street Friends", featuring segments where Kermit appears with other major Sesame Street characters. Maybe the plot could involve Kermit visiting Sesame Street to recall the good (and bad) time's he's spent with everybody, and maybe meet Abby Cadabby for the first time (though a pairing between Kermit and Murray would probably be funnier). Or maybe Kermit could come to the street as a reporter and ask everybody to talk about their favorite memories with Kermit.

It would probably be light on songs, since Kermit never had any numbers with other main characters (unless you count Elmo being in the background of It's Alive, though I wouldn't be surprised if they were to pull a "Best of Elmo 2" and include Do De Rubber Duck, Subway, or Everybody Be Yo'Self). Or it could include one of the Kermit-Don Music pairings (since those did include songs, though Kermit didn't sing with Don and the back-up singers).

But a decent line-up could include:
  • Kermit News: First Day of School
  • The Earmuff Salesman
  • Happy and Sad with Elmo
  • Kermit's Feelings Lecture with Cookie Monster
  • Kermit and Forgetful Jones: Telephone Demonstration
  • Kermit News: Reporter Game
  • Grover the Plumber
  • Two-Headed Monster: Listening
  • Kermit, Grover, and Debo: X
  • Kermit's Mystery Box
  • Oscar's Grouch Bus Stop
  • The Count's Elevador
  • Kermit's Mystery Box
  • Kermit and Grover: Here and There
  • What's Inside Herry Monster?
  • Kermit News: Cooperation
  • Don Music: Twinkle Twinkle
I don't know if Professor Hastings or Dr. Nobel Price would be remembered enough by fans for inclusion on such a release (though judging by the recent 40th anniversary book and DVD I feel like he's less forgotten than I thought). I don't know if the Miami Mice would be considered regular enough for Kermit's appearance in Miami Mice to be included, and I heard that Kermit appeared in a Leslie Mostly Show segment but Leslie Mostly is definately less remembered than the Miami Mice or Dr. Nobel Price.
This sounds like a great idea!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just saw on Sesame Street's Facebook page that a collection that a new collection of videos have been released in Australia, with the general titles "I (heart symbol) (insert character name here)". With the heart symbol in the title, I wonder how hard it will be for Muppet Wiki to have pages for them (will they just have to write "heart" or "love" on the article pages?).

There's videos for Big Bird, Abby Cadabby, Bert and Ernie, Grover, and Cookie Monster. Too bad there's none for The Count or Oscar (and I didn't notice until somebody pointed out in the comments that there's no Elmo video). Abby is the only one getting a spotlight video there who doesn't have her own video here.

I don't even know what's on these videos and I wish they'd all be released here.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I just saw on Sesame Street's Facebook page that a collection that a new collection of videos have been released in Australia, with the general titles "I (heart symbol) (insert character name here)". With the heart symbol in the title, I wonder how hard it will be for Muppet Wiki to have pages for them (will they just have to write "heart" or "love" on the article pages?).

There's videos for Big Bird, Abby Cadabby, Bert and Ernie, Grover, and Cookie Monster. Too bad there's none for The Count or Oscar (and I didn't notice until somebody pointed out in the comments that there's no Elmo video). Abby is the only one getting a spotlight video there who doesn't have her own video here.

I don't even know what's on these videos and I wish they'd all be released here.

They have the following:

E&B - Word Play/Count on Sports
Abby - P is for Princess/Abby in Wonderland
Grover - A Celebration of Me, Grover/Happy Healthy Monsters
Big Bird - Get Up and Dance/Friends to the Rescue
Cookie - Cookie Monster's Best Bites/C is for Cookie Monster

minor muppetz

Reaction score
They have the following:

E&B - Word Play/Count on Sports
Abby - P is for Princess/Abby in Wonderland
Grover - A Celebration of Me, Grover/Happy Healthy Monsters
Big Bird - Get Up and Dance/Friends to the Rescue
Cookie - Cookie Monster's Best Bites/C is for Cookie Monster
Oh, so they're basically like those "and friends" releases (with the Cookie Monster one having the exact same contents as "Cookie Monster and Friends", though the Big Bird is different from "Big Bird and Friends").

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Here's another idea for a themed release. What about a DVD celebrating some of the most well known non-human Sesame Street species? i.e. a video full of classic clips with the Honkers, Dingers, Yip Yip aliens [The Martians], Twiddlebugs, Grouches, Snuffleupaguses, and monsters. (I realize we could have numerous sketches for Grouches, Snuffleupaguses and monsters- but I'm thinking maybe just a few Snuffy and family sketches to showcase him in his cave and some classic:grouchy: Oscar the Grouch songs and maybe appearances from other grouches. And there are surely enough classic sketches with AM monsters that could be used without going too big on the more well known monsters- though certainly it'd be great to have them included here and there- Grover, Cookie Monster, Herry, Elmo and others.)
Sorry I'm noticing your idea more than 6 months after you posted it, but...me likey!!