Europe says US-Made cheeses can't use Old World names

snichols1973

Reaction score
Considering the source of the news here...

But I get that certain "in the style of" cheeses aren't authentic, and it does cheapen the cheese's name recognition. Do they even call it Swiss Cheese in Switzerland? Anyone know what they call it? I think I remember it went by another name, but I must've forgot it.

The variety that is indigenous to Switzerland is known as Emmenthaler, because it was originally produced in the Emmenthaler valley of Switzerland.

There are Dutch varieties such as Leerdammer and Maasdam, while Norway's version is called Jarlsberg.

Many foreign cheeses have to be indigenous to their geographic origins; for example, genuine Roquefort cheese must be produced from sheep's milk and aged in the natural Combalou caves of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon, which means that if the cheese is made elsewhere, it cannot be designated as authentic Roquefort, because they would infringe upon the Protected designation of origin (PDO) regulations, which helps to confirm that a certain local cheese is authentic because it is grown in a certain geographic region under specified guidelines.