Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I find interesting about Mr. Peabody and Sherman is that, with the exception of their visit with leonardo DaVinci, all of their trips involve some sort of adventure for the two. In the original segments, they usually weren't in any major danger, but in the movie Sherman's life is often at risk, or Sherman causes both himself and Mr. Peabody to be in some sort of danger, or the girl's life gets in danger.

I wonder if the "what should have been" status of the Wabac Machine was supposed to be canon to the original cartoon. As far as I know, that fact was only brought up in the first episode. For a long time I couldn't really understand what Mr. Peabody was telling us when he made adjustments, and it's only clear to me now because I've seen it pointed out a lot online. If a hardcore fan like me who saw the first one couldn't comprehend that info, would casual fans who didn't see that one be aware that it's just a simulation (as a matter of fact, I used to think that the time machine in Back to the Future was a simulator, with the ability of those in other times to be able to use the machine, and wondered why when they went back to 1955 in the second movie that there'd still be two Marty's... Until I was in the tenth grade I was also confused by 1985 Biff suddenly acting nicer but didn't even notice that everybody else had changed and was confused by Marty being confused)?

Not only that, but there are a few segments where Mr. Peabody makes comments about history being ruined if the people they meet don't do what they're known for. There's one episode where, when it looks like the person they visit won't do what he did, Mr. Peabody said that if he doesn't succeed then it'll ruin a lot of history books. And in another, they are with somebody who was in a race, and Peabody had him stop before the finish line on purpose just because the history books say that he lost. All that for a "what should have been machine" that doesn't really have any affect on history. And I think there's even an episode where they help somebody achieve what he did in real life and during the trip we never see him succeed, with Peabody just saying that it would happen.

I need to get back on my Mr. Peabody rewatching... There's so many episodes that I can't remember who was featured in what and what some of the situations were.

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
Perhaps all historical events simulated in the WABAC exist in the same timeline. Thus if one event is messed up, others will be affected.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Perhaps all historical events simulated in the WABAC exist in the same timeline. Thus if one event is messed up, others will be affected.
Actually, the show switches back and forth, and the only time they even mentioned it was a What If machine was that first episode. Several other episodes did mention that they had to make sure history had to happen as planned (as anachronistically as possible, though). Though the movie was based very heavily on the first episode, they just chucked the "should have been machine" concept for the sake of story. I was on the fence about it when the film was in development, but it paid off awesomely in the film.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay,... for a minute, let's forget that Peabody and Sherman had a big movie, and there's 2 4 issue limited comic series. Let's talk about the show itself.

I have to admit, even I am greatly guilty of this, but I just can't shake the feeling that Aesop and Son is a very underrated segment. Sure, it was a General Mills enforced temporary replacement for Fractured Fairy Tales, and sure it didn't get much of a good reaction, so Fractured Fairy Tales recursively replaced it back. I watched a few of them last night, and I have to admit, the play between Charles Ruggles and Daws Butler is some of the most warmhearted in the series. They flawlessly bring a father/son relationship to the series that gives the segment a unique charm and likability.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have to admit, even I am greatly guilty of this, but I just can't shake the feeling that Aesop and Son is a very underrated segment. Sure, it was a General Mills enforced temporary replacement for Fractured Fairy Tales, and sure it didn't get much of a good reaction, so Fractured Fairy Tales recursively replaced it back.

I wonder about the "temporary replacement" thing, since both Aesop and Sons and Dudley Do-Right have the same number of episodes (39), and I'm sure Dudley Do-Right was a hit. Not to mention that Fractured Fairy Tales and Peabody's Improbable History have 91 episodes each. If, say, Do-Right alternated with Peabody while Aesop replaced fairy tales and got replaced back, then it'd be an interesting coincidence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dudley was done near the half way point of Bullwinkle's run. Specifically the 1961 channel hop to NBC. Aesop and Son, at least according to The Moose that Roared was just before that. General Mills wanted a replacement early on for Fractured Fairy Tales because someone on board considered it weak (musta only seen the early ones that played things almost straight), and out of all these concepts, they chose to go with the Aesop cartoons. They weren't really a hit, and they switched back.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nice to know they're doing stuff with them. Glob knows when that animated short's going to be released.

Tom Kenny's Bullwinkle's pretty good.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So is that June Foray doing Rocky's voice in this? It sounds so wrong. And it would be sad if they had somebody else voice Rocky.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It sounds like a close imitation. Seems like Dreamworks is a little too cautious about having to recast a replacement. Either that, or June wasn't available. It's been confirmed (so far) she's going to be Rocky when the animated short is released. I don't think they're going to have a Rocky and Bullwinkle project for a long time otherwise. Hence why I said they're a little too cautious.

Meanwhile, I'm a little bummed there's only one issue left to go for the Rocky and Bullwinkle IDW comic series. Thinkin' of getting the Angry Birds crossover variant cover if my local comic place has it. I've managed to get the subscription variants of the first 3 issues. Would kinda be an awkward collection if I had that one cover not in it. Hopefully, they'll keep reprinting the old Gold Key ones for a while. Maybe even get around to the Marvel series.