Where's the love for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
She can't keep doing Rocky forever. I love her commitment to voice acting, but still, it's best that they find a replacement early incase something were to happen to June. Tom Kenny does a great job with Bullwinkle so far, as he does with most of his voices. I can't wait to see them in their (supposed) upcoming short!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
She can't keep doing Rocky forever. I love her commitment to voice acting, but still, it's best that they find a replacement early incase something were to happen to June.

I know. It's just that she's been alive seemingly forever, and she continues to be the voice of Granny in new Looney Tunes productions (it's a shame she didn't do a voice in the Mr. Peabody and Sherman movie... I feel she should have been Ms. Gunion).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today, I was at a flea market, and they had all of the Buena Vista VHS tapes (except for Vincent Van Moose). Now, I've seen all of the "Classic Stuff" volumes many times, my library has the first six, I've seen copies at many video stores, and I have most of them, but the "Funny Stuff" videos I've seen less often (the only one I have is Painting Theft, and whenever I see used copies they're either that or Weather Lady).

Anyway, Painting Theft had Boris as the character by the UPC code on the back cover, and he had appeared by that code on the back cover of Norman Moosewell, I assumed the code boxes for all of the "Funny Stuff" videos had characters who already appeared by the code box on the "Classic Stuff" releases, but then I was looking at all the back covers, and that's the only one to repeat a character there. How odd...

I'll list all the characters who appear beside the UPC code on each of the video releases:
  • Mona Moose - Rocky
  • Birth of Bullwinkle - Mr. Peabody
  • Vincent Van Moose - Nell
  • Blue Moose - Snidley Whiplash
  • La Grande Moose - Natasha
  • Canadian Gothic - Dudley Do-Right
  • Whistler's Moose - Bullwinkle
  • Norman Moosewell - Boris
  • Painting Theft - Boris (again)
  • Banana Formula - Horse
  • Weather Lady - The Fairy
  • Pottsylvanian Creeper - Sherman
It'd be one thing if they ran out of characters to put there (I wonder if that's why the "Funny Stuff" didn't have characters on the side covers, though there are plenty of characters left to include there), but there are characters they could have used instead of repeating Boris. They could have put Fearless Leader or Inspector Fenwick. Or they could have put in Aesop, Aesop's son, Captain Peachfuzz, or maybe Gidney or Cloyd, but none of those characters appear in that video (none of the videos had episodes with Gidney and Cloyd... Of course, Aesop and Son were on the side cover of Norman Moosewell even though they're not in that video, Mr. Peabody and Sherman were on the cover of La Grande Moose but didn't appear in the video, and the side cover to Blue Moose had Nell and Horse, both of whom don't appear in that videos Dudley Do-Right segment outside of the opening). They also could have put in the janitor from the Mr. Peabody opening and closing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know. It's just that she's been alive seemingly forever, and she continues to be the voice of Granny in new Looney Tunes productions (it's a shame she didn't do a voice in the Mr. Peabody and Sherman movie... I feel she should have been Ms. Gunion).
If nothing else, she should have had a small cameo as some background character or historic figure. But that wasn't make or break for me. I enjoyed the movie too much to complain about that.

She can't keep doing Rocky forever. I love her commitment to voice acting, but still, it's best that they find a replacement early incase something were to happen to June. Tom Kenny does a great job with Bullwinkle so far, as he does with most of his voices. I can't wait to see them in their (supposed) upcoming short!
Like I said, who knows when we're going to actually see Dreamworks do an audio/visual Rocky and Bullwinkle project? It seems like a cautious move to have an alternate Rocky in consideration so as not to have to wait years for a recast. Really seems that more and more entertainment company types are savvy enough to figure that out. Look at how fast The Count was up after Jerry passed on. He groomed his replacement for a while.

It is a mixed feeling, I know. But we've had several Bullwinkle performers for a while anyway. That era's not going to last forever.

As for the character redesigns, while I would say that Rocky looks a little squat, these designs are far more lively than the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie CGI characters, and thankfully not as invasive with changes as Peabody and Sherman were.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there's a list out there of who all has been the voices of Bullwinkle, Boris, and others since their voice actors passed away (most examples are in commercials). I think I've read that Cory Burton voiced Bullwinkle somewhere (Burton was also the narrator in the Boris and Natasha movie, and he took over Bill Scott's role as Gruffi Bear on Gummi Bears).

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a case of Gregg Berger voicing Boris at a Comic Con script reading...

Sounds like Boris may have been Joe Alasky in this Taco Bell ad, but I can't confirm it...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, this just came right outta nowhere...
They're both a little hit and miss.

On the one hand, Bullwinkle looks pretty decent I must say, but his voice seems just a little too deep and resonate, kind of like when the show first started and almost all of the characters spoke in a more deadpan and monotone manner.

Rocky, on the other hand, while whoever does his voice captures June Foray's voice and inflections downpat, he looks off: his body is a little too small, making his head look huge (and his new chubby cheeks don't help).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just read that there's going to be a "Best of Rocky and Bullwinkle Volume 3" DVD, and I've read that it's supposed to tie in with a Bullwinkle movie that's coming out this October. This is the first I've heard about any such Bullwinkle movie, and if it's coming out this October, shouldn't I have heard about it?

Maybe the article I read it from (tvshowsondvd.com) was just mistaking a short for a movie. Though it is a little odd that they'd make a DVD to promote a short.

EDIT: I was just informed by the websites facebook page that it was a mistake and they corrected it.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Bullwinkle short is said to be released October 14, a Tuesday. I don't think this is going to be theatrical... sounds like it's a bonus for the Peabody and Sherman DVD to me. I thought it would be.