Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Glad you got to see it again! I'm hoping that a little community-run dollar-theatre in my hometown will consider running it later this spring or summer, just before it hits home media (they specialize in "recently-run" movies), so I can see it in all its glory on a big screen one more time.

In the meantime, it looks like the Memorial Day weekend actually helped a little, as BoxOfficeMojo's weekly figures show MMW had its highest box office showing in nearly a month, pulling in $324,329 for a jump of 137 per cent over the previous week. (It probably didn't hurt that the number of North American theatres showing the movie also rose slightly during the same period.)

So MMW's current North American box-office total is $50,511,465. I know it's not Avengers or Toy Story money but it makes me feel good to know that there are places still showing MMW and, more to the point, that people are still going to see it, over two months after it first came out. That should bode well for DVD/Blu-Ray sales and future projects.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So MMW's current North American box-office total is $50,511,465. I know it's not Avengers or Toy Story money but it makes me feel good to know that there are places still showing MMW and, more to the point, that people are still going to see it, over two months after it first came out. That should bode well for DVD/Blu-Ray sales and future projects.
Actually MMW eased 31% this weekend to a total of $134,741 in its 11th weekend. Now the film has a total of $50,646,206. Hopefully it can pass $51 million before the end, heck better than the drop from smurfs 1 to smurfs 2 or even TMM to GMC.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The current total for MMW is $50,825,812, so $51 mil. seems like what MMW will get by the end of its run, better than my originally envisioned $45 mil.

Eyeball

Reaction score
but its not complete shambles, and at least its making them profit worldwide, which is great no?

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too glass-half-full here, but even a quick scan of the 2014 North American box office figures has me feeling a little better about MMW's performance.

We're nearly halfway through the year and MMW is in the Top 25 of all films released (specifically, it's #24). That's not earth-shattering, but in today's crowded entertainment field, a full 35 years after TMM hit theatres, I can't help but find that impressive.

That also means the Muppets have also outgrossed:
* The fifth Jack Ryan movie (with the fourth different Jack Ryan actor) - #25
* Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (Blended, currently sitting at #28 with $37 million)
* Tom Cruise (Edge of Tomorrow, currently sitting at #29 with $35.4 million)
* Yet another Paranormal Activity sequel - #30
* Disney's follow-up release, Million Dollar Arm (currently sitting at #31 with $31.8 million)
* Seth MacFarlane (A Million Ways To Die In The West, currently "dying" at #32 with $31.2 million)
* Kevin Costner (Draft Day) - #34
* Zac Efron (That Awkward Moment) - #36
* Kiefer Sutherland (Pompeii) - #38
* Johnny Depp and Carrie-Anne Moss (Transcendence) - #39
* Tyler Perry (The Single Moms' Club) - #45
* Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin (Labour Day) - #47
* Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe and Will Smith (Winter's Tale) - #48
* Arnold Schwarzenegger (Sabotage) - #50
* Leah Michelle, Dan Akyroyd, James Belushi, Kelsey Grammer and Martin Short (voices in Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return) - #53
* And, among movies released late last year - Academy Award-winner for Best Actor, Matthew McConaghey, in Dallas Buyers' Club ($27.3 million) and Academy Award-winner for Best Original Screenplay, Her ($25.5 million).

As a certain frog told viewers after sipping milk from a backstage glass on the very first episode of The Muppet Show: "Think about this, friends..." :smile:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too glass-half-full here, but even a quick scan of the 2014 North American box office figures has me feeling a little better about MMW's performance.

We're nearly halfway through the year and MMW is in the Top 25 of all films released (specifically, it's #24). That's not earth-shattering, but in today's crowded entertainment field, a full 35 years after TMM hit theatres, I can't help but find that impressive.

That also means the Muppets have also outgrossed:
* The fifth Jack Ryan movie (with the fourth different Jack Ryan actor) - #25
* Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (Blended, currently sitting at #28 with $37 million)
* Tom Cruise (Edge of Tomorrow, currently sitting at #29 with $35.4 million)
* Yet another Paranormal Activity sequel - #30
* Disney's follow-up release, Million Dollar Arm (currently sitting at #31 with $31.8 million)
* Seth MacFarlane (A Million Ways To Die In The West, currently "dying" at #32 with $31.2 million)
* Kevin Costner (Draft Day) - #34
* Zac Efron (That Awkward Moment) - #36
* Kiefer Sutherland (Pompeii) - #38
* Johnny Depp and Carrie-Anne Moss (Transcendence) - #39
* Tyler Perry (The Single Moms' Club) - #45
* Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin (Labour Day) - #47
* Colin Farrell, Russell Crowe and Will Smith (Winter's Tale) - #48
* Arnold Schwarzenegger (Sabotage) - #50
* Leah Michelle, Dan Akyroyd, James Belushi, Kelsey Grammer and Martin Short (voices in Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return) - #53
* And, among movies released late last year - Academy Award-winner for Best Actor, Matthew McConaghey, in Dallas Buyers' Club ($27.3 million) and Academy Award-winner for Best Original Screenplay, Her ($25.5 million).

As a certain frog told viewers after sipping milk from a backstage glass on the very first episode of The Muppet Show: "Think about this, friends..." :smile:
I know right, the muppets have been around for nearly 60 years, and it still has a decent audience.

Eyeball

Reaction score
Ikr all though its not got the greatest revenue in the world its not that glum, but tbf alot of those movies listed suck, belleive me, as ive seen just under half of them...

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Oh, I hear you. Mrs. Otter and I don't even want to see 80 per cent of the movies I just listed (although we're disappointed that Million Dollar Arm has already come and gone).

I'm not saying I wouldn't have liked a higher box-office total for MMW, nor am I attempting to figure out how a Disney executive thinks in terms of future Muppet projects. Just offering a little perspective, and pointing out that the Muppets could have done (and have done) far worse than they did with MMW.

Eyeball

Reaction score
thats one of the ones i did not see, but yes a higher number would of been nice but at least its not MFS numbers though lol....