Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
The upside is that using child voices does sound more authentic. Especially if they can act. Arthur uses both, which gives the show an interesting sound. The only adult voice they had to recast (to my knowledge) was Sue Ellen's. Don't know exactly why, though.
The other alternative is to keep them on and have their deeper voice be explained by puberty (like with Finn's VA on Adventure Time) or in the case of Gerald from Hey Arnold, a tonsillectomy. I, for one, am glad Jeremy Shada and Jamil Walker Smith were kept, as they're too talented to re-cast. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the positive side, I can't stress how funny some of these past episodes have been. Brain Freeze is actually quite brilliant. I like how fake Japanese the ice cream chain was, right down to the hostess continuously going "YAAAY!" I wish they gave her an incredibly grating high pitched voice, though. The show is capable of doing a good and entertaining episode every so often.

Still, Binky's Music Madness was a clunker in a sea of pretty good episodes. It's like a more anvilicious version of My Music Rules. Where as that episode was about how varying tastes can meet common ground in surprising ways, this episode managed to become "If you hate something, you're somehow a horrible person and a hypocrite." All with the unmistakable Arthur style of having the random celebrity guests stalk the main characters for no good reason. The dream segment especially feels hypocritical, if not a stealth criticism of the episode (but I'm going with hypocritical). The one where zombie versions of the characters forcibly get Binky to like Bang on a Can. The ENTIRE EPISODE is about him being forced to like it.

That, and the fact that the new art team does a terrible job trying to get the style of the Arthur-ized caricatures of the guest stars.

That Fox looks like a character from another series all together, and the others just look off.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Yikes! Mister Rogers and Yo-Yo Ma never looked that ugly in Arthur form! :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmm... now that I think of it, NONE of the new Arthur characters really look like the same style as the original. Bad enough some of the original characters look off. It somehow looks like they're trying to get the look, yet making it a little more cartoony. Like the eyes are too big on some of them or something. I can't put my finger on it.

Also... uh... they really shouldn't have designed Bailey the butler in 3/4's/ profile view. His newfound dead on front view looks freaking awful. And they use that way too much. Ugh...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually caught the episode where the house is invaded by one mouse. of course, it's a Kate and Pal episode, but it actually involves other characters. Wasn't too bad, but I hope Ladonna's white rat doesn't turn into an overly recurring guest star. I did like how they lampshade how people love fictional mice but hate real ones in their house.

Anyway, not why I came here... apparently a very minor background character that apparently a portion of the fan base is obsessed with is getting her very own episode..

They should just change the title of this freaking show to "Everyone but Arthur." :rolleyes:

Bet the White Rat's gonna have like 3 episodes to himself that season, too.

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
My first reaction to that was "Who the eff is Maria?" Now that I know, my reaction is "Why are they obsessed with her? I have seen every episode of Arthur at least once and I have never noticed her."

If we're giving meaningless background characters their own episodes, why not that really green-ish kid from early in the series.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
The other alternative is to keep them on and have their deeper voice be explained by puberty (like with Finn's VA on Adventure Time) or in the case of Gerald from Hey Arnold, a tonsillectomy. I, for one, am glad Jeremy Shada and Jamil Walker Smith were kept, as they're too talented to re-cast. :smile:
Didn't Mac from FHFIF go through a voice change during season 3

Drtooth

Reaction score
My first reaction to that was "Who the eff is Maria?" Now that I know, my reaction is "Why are they obsessed with her? I have seen every episode of Arthur at least once and I have never noticed her."
They're that kind of fanbase, actually... TV Tropes even points this out in Arthur's YMMV page.

[Under Ensemble Darkhorse]Despite the fact that for 16 years they've only been background extras, and never been promoted to a recurring or supporting role, the characters Alex and Maria (the gray bunny with the orange sweater, and the girl bunny with the blue and pink striped shirt, respectively) have a number of fans.
I don't get it either. At this point, I'd be FAR more excited that Arthur gets his own episode. Seems that at best when the episode supposedly focuses on him, it really focuses on someone else.

If we're giving meaningless background characters their own episodes, why not that really green-ish kid from early in the series.

Heh... the one that looks like Droop?