Movable jaw for a fullbody muppet costume?

shoo

Reaction score
Hmm.. been a while since i posted here now...

I am still trying to figure out how to make the jaw movable for my fullbody muppet costume... I don't really fancy that mechanical way you mention. There gotta be other ways, no?

Animal31

Reaction score
I think there were at least two other methods mentioned, no? Read thru the thread again and I'm sure you will find them....

chuckgreen

Reaction score
I was able to solve this problem robotically and have the actor be able to control the robotic jaw with his own jaw. I used a few servos, a power supply for them and an arduino to control them. There is a sort of rubber cord that changes resistance when it's stretched, and that's what's around the lower jaw, sending the signal to the arduino in the back of the helmet. Here is a video of a test of that mechanism:

This was something I was able to put together in a day, having the arduino and servos already (as well as a bunch of angle aluminum, a baseball helmet and a bunch of tools).

Mdk Productions

Reaction score
Hey! At sesame place we actually have a button in our hand that we squeeze like a bike petal that moves are lips. We have tons of practice in costume to sink are hand movements to the rest of the cast. We can not afford radio sinking:wink: great question!

Gluvets

Reaction score
The Sesame Street live heads are cable controlled mouths with a trigger in the glove much like a bicycle break cable