UK help required

Ant

Reaction score
Where did you order your fur from? I was gonna try my hand at the roly puppet first alas I won't be able to do replicas due to me being colour blind so it's one offs for me all the way

LadyVilla

Reaction score

I've officially started on my first puppet aka 'Project Uno' Yay! :excited:

The fur seems a bit cheap but everything else seems good, used the plastic that 'Muppetlab' suggested for the mouthboard and used 30 PPI reticulated foam ordered from here: http://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/category/193/RETICULATED--FOAM

I was just messing with the scraps of foam trying to decide on additional features. Am I right in thinking I can just paint them or should I use something else?

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Looking good :smile:
For colouring foam RIT dye works well.. Or floral spray paint :smile:

Ant

Reaction score
That's awesome fingers crossed I'll start mine next week as I'm off work :smile:

LadyVilla

Reaction score
Think I'll get hold of some make up sponges and try those for the teeth. keep me updated on your puppet Ant! :smile:

ashkent

Reaction score
A bit of a late reply but for reticulated foam i had previously bought mine from a seller on ebay but when i tried to get 1/2 inch foam the next time they didn't do it any more.

I used the foam shop and the only problem was the thinnest they do in sheet foam is 2.25cm. However they were great to deal with, the prices were reasonable and due to an error at their end (which they were quick to sort out) they even added extra foam to the order for no extra cost. Also i found that if i cut out the pieces of the pattern on the thicker foam using a very large and sharp knife i can cut it pretty much in half without too much deviation and get the 1/2 inch thickness anyway or for some puppets the inch works just as well.

For Antron I have used Mermibridg and I also bought some more recently from http://www.outoftheboxpuppets.com/ Although it shipped from the US they often have some brilliantly priced remnants/soiled fleece (although i bought one that was 90% useable and couldn't actually find marks on it anywhere other than the back of the fabric). If you can afford to bulk buy some decent sized remnants and I always throw in a few dome eyes and other small bits while i can, then you can get a lot for a reasonable amount.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
A bit of a late reply but for reticulated foam i had previously bought mine from a seller on ebay but when i tried to get 1/2 inch foam the next time they didn't do it any more.

I used the foam shop and the only problem was the thinnest they do in sheet foam is 2.25cm. However they were great to deal with, the prices were reasonable and due to an error at their end (which they were quick to sort out) they even added extra foam to the order for no extra cost. Also i found that if i cut out the pieces of the pattern on the thicker foam using a very large and sharp knife i can cut it pretty much in half without too much deviation and get the 1/2 inch thickness anyway or for some puppets the inch works just as well.

For Antron I have used Mermibridg and I also bought some more recently from http://www.outoftheboxpuppets.com/ Although it shipped from the US they often have some brilliantly priced remnants/soiled fleece (although i bought one that was 90% useable and couldn't actually find marks on it anywhere other than the back of the fabric). If you can afford to bulk buy some decent sized remnants and I always throw in a few dome eyes and other small bits while i can, then you can get a lot for a reasonable amount.
Even with the added cost of shipping, their (OOTB) pre dyed antron is good value i think. It saves a lot of time/money/hassel of dying yourself.... Or is that just me being lazy? :smile:

ashkent

Reaction score
Even with the added cost of shipping, their (OOTB) pre dyed antron is good value i think. It saves a lot of time/money/hassel of dying yourself.... Or is that just me being lazy? :smile:
Well if you're lazy I'm guilty as well lol. The last time i bought some I got two large white remnants (about 60 inches by 90 inches each) a similar size of "flesh" colour (which is a nightmare to dye right) and I think it was a orange/brown piece that was on offer at the time. I also threw in a batch of different sized and style eyes and I think it came to around £70 all in with shipping taxes and everything. Shipping would have been the same even if i'd bought half that so it always seems worthwhile stocking up to save on that.