Nick vs. Disney Channel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Both channels used to be 100 times better. It's such a crime what happened to them.

I've switched over to The Hub lately. Their original shows aren't painful to watch and they aren't afraid to show the occasional classic TV or movie.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Both channels used to be 100 times better. It's such a crime what happened to them.

I've switched over to The Hub lately. Their original shows aren't painful to watch and they aren't afraid to show the occasional classic TV or movie.
Yeah, but I still like Drake and Josh, iCarly, Victorious, and Sam and Cat over on Nick. Also, I like how they have been remaking Figure it Out. But, then they ended the remake!! Hopefully, they make a remake of the remake of the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree there needs to be a Disney Classics channel. 90's Are All that on Teen Nick beats Disney in that aspect. Plus, many of those shows are in complete collection on DVD (if you don't mind some editing on Rocko, which is TOTALLY Nick's fault for giving those copies to Shout) while (and this is the trillionth time I've said it) Disney hates releasing television shows on DVD. Not to mention the Wembling they do over wanting to see if they can get money from grown up 90's Kids who grew up on TDA. A conversation that would get my blood boiling, yet I'm quite satisfied we even got Darkwing Duck as a barely 2 year running comic book (which is more of a Marvel ownership thing).

The Hub's a weird case. They have this odd ratings issue, they aren't really easy to find, and they're usually on the second tier cable package (I'm quite disappointed I don't get it). The network was created by Hasbro mainly to showcase programming with their biggest toy lines as stars (though they screwed over G.I. Joe because of the movies and there isn't even a faint whisper of Mr. Potatohead), and to fill the other gaps, they kinda had to gain broadcasting rights to older shows and movies to both fill out their programming blocks and to not look like a network full of toy commercials. And That's what made them great. They had Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, not to mention ALF which you can't get unless it's cut to the bone.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Let's not talk about The Hub, and stay on topic. There should be a Disney Classics channel. They could play Mickey Mouse shorts, old Disney feature films, The Mickey Mouse Club, other Disney TV Shows ( such as The Muppet Show :wink:)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It just annoys me that there would have to be a separate channel for classics. It didn't used to be that way. Not every child practices age discrimination in their entertainment. :wink:

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
It just annoys me that there would have to be a separate channel for classics. It didn't used to be that way. Not every child practices age discrimination in their entertainment. :wink:
True 'dat. But, however, I bet that kids don't even care about the classics, and just want to see the tween kid-coms. So, even if they did release a classic channel ( which I doubt there will be) I bet that only the SUPER Disney fans would tune in, and no chance the kids would, though.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
True 'dat. But, however, I bet that kids don't even care about the classics, and just want to see the tween kid-coms. So, even if they did release a classic channel ( which I doubt there will be) I bet that only the SUPER Disney fans would tune in, and no chance the kids would, though.
It's a generalization to say "kids don't care."

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Well, however, on the bright side, they've been giving Nick some good game shows. Surprisingly I like Brainsurge, Family Brainsurge, Figure it Out, and even Webheads!! For some reason, I find " slime" really funny. I can't wait to see who gets slimed each episode of the game shows ( and the Kids' Choice Awards, which are good. But, the 2014 one had a super weak plot.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
No, it's not "kids don't care," it's "we have a formula that sells, and those who don't like it aren't in the target demo anyway." Kids don't care because kids don't know. Sure, they know about all the animated Disney movies, but most of the time you have to buy them. Even then, most of them with an artificial expiration date so it can go away for 10 years and come back so they can add like 2 bonus features and then have it go away for another 10 years. And don't act like this is new, either. They've been doing that since the VHS era. I still think the whole "we can't release Snow White on video, because it's too classy and artistic" stuff was all an act, trying to get the public to want it more, like it was some big, special, secret thing.

As for the TV shows, I'd rather them release the classic ones on DVD or Netflix or hulu or something than to see the same half the series run over and over. I never understood why they can't have all the episodes of something when they rerun them. Even classic TV channels pull that crap.

That said, there is nothing wrong with splitting up channels to focus on specific focuses. That way, less of the programming is in danger of disappearing totally because they're trying to get a specific focus group. Disney knows what it's doing, like the programming or not. It didn't need to go through an embarrassing level of scrambling for an audience, alienating the loyal group you already had to go after one that's happy with the programming they're watching now. That's what Cartoon network did ever since Hanna Montanna hit it big, creating awful live action shows (or rather stealing them from Discovery Kids) that no one liked or watched. Yet were considered such a great idea, they were kept on the air, and you were forced to like it, which made CN watchers even more angry. Sure, they run like a handful of shows over and over (benefit of the doubt- it could just be the summer schedule), but they're the network's strong shows that have measurable fanbases both on and off demographic.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
One of the reasons Disney Channel sucks: They repeat every single episode that they air!!!! If there's a new episode, they'll probably just have it running for 4 months, and then it just vanishes!!
One of the reasons Nick is awesome: They actually switch things up a bit!