Michael Bay's Ninja Turtles: RIP TMNT 1985-2014

Eyeball

Reaction score
Ha! Not surprising, I rate Tf2 as even more worse than the room and plan 9 from outer space.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I'd love to hate the Turtle designs more, but compared to

they're positively good looking. :rolleyes:

Eyeball

Reaction score
I never watched Garfield much, what's wrong with that design?

CountFan1998

Reaction score
I am utterly appalled by the film, because it's just what any other popular franchise needs: ANOTHER REBOOT. :rolleyes: On the contrary, Mirage Studios was based out of my hometown! :excited: There used to be a museum in the area that had TMNT statues on display. It's an AT&T store now, but the building still has 1990 film-esque TMNT gargoyles along the top. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The series already got a reboot with the Nick series. They should have pulled a Jimmy Neutron and just released the pilot theatrically (with better animation).

As for a film series, I don't see why it shouldn't have a reboot. Just not this one. In fact, the 2k7 movie? It's actually a loose sequel to the original film series... or at least a theatrical version of the 2k3 cartoon... only CGI, and with more celebrity voice actors. In fact, there's a rumor that says the reason they cut the marriage proposal scene from the film is because they wanted to do it in the show. Even though it's supposedly a different continuity.

As I was saying, the look of the turtles doesn't bother me too much. I've been desensitized by the ugly CGI versions of characters. From Garfield to Scooby-Doo to the Smurfs... the whole "this is how they'd look in real life... like abominations" gag. It's like we're supposed to have that much suspended disbelief that we can believe that we can have talking dogs, cats, bears, little elf men, and turtles, but they have to have realistic features or the illusion is dead.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's like we're supposed to have that much suspended disbelief that we can believe that we can have talking dogs, cats, bears, little elf men, and turtles, but they have to have realistic features or the illusion is dead.
And that every other animal has to be real with superimposed mouths.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... Garfield was essentially an exercise in extreme cheapness. Garfield had to be the big, floating, bouncy CGI thing, and everything else was a cheap Air Buddies style gimmick. That's why I never cared much for that film series. That and how the essentially made Jon, the funniest character in the strip, into a dull everyman with an even less defined personality.

And it took 2 season of The Garfield Show to fix it.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Yeah. I never liked the Garfield reboot even when I was young enough to. It was actually kinda boring.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They really should have had Mark Evanier write the script for those. He's the definitive Garfield writer, I feel.

But yeah. That whole genre of boring, pasted on CGI character kids movies with weak, personality devoid human actors trying to get some Family Friendly... those are just the dullest kids movies ever. Say what you will about the Smurf film series, but at least they gave us a human married couple instead of a romantic plot tumor. And the actors generally wanted to be there (or hammed it up nonetheless).

At the risk of praising this TMNT film, at least it looks better than those completely mechanically produced kiddy CGI character in low budget human world movies.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Yup. Although I'm not a TMNT fan, The trailer makes it clear ( as everyone knows) it's not gonna be like "Yogi Bear" all over again. I agree with drtooth on how ranger smith was terrible.