Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

jvcarroll

Reaction score
MMW has made over 78 million dollars domestic and worldwide combined.
I'm still puzzled why foreign markets didn't take in half the total worldwide gross. That seems to be the trend and this film was crafted to appeal to foreign markets. I wonder if the advertising machine around the world was weaker for some reason.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I'm still puzzled why foreign markets didn't take in half the total worldwide gross. That seems to be the trend and this film was crafted to appeal to foreign markets. I wonder if the advertising machine around the world was weaker for some reason.
Speaking solely for the UK I felt it was badly marketed here. I've said it before but I ALWAYS have people phone, message or email me whenever they hear or see anything Muppet related, regardless how trivial. I only received a couple from when the Muppets appeared on a couple of talk shows. I don't recall seeing a single poster for the movie anywhere, it was all Peabody and Sherman. I've even had maybe 10 friends ask, since the movie has been removed from Cinema's, "when does the new Muppet movie come out?". Unfortunately I was taken out of action the day after I saw the movie when a surgeon botched a routine op and damaged my eye (the surgery was NOT even on the eye!!), otherwise I would have waxed lyrical about it and made my friends see it!!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Speaking solely for the UK I felt it was badly marketed here. I've said it before but I ALWAYS have people phone, message or email me whenever they hear or see anything Muppet related, regardless how trivial. I only received a couple from when the Muppets appeared on a couple of talk shows. I don't recall seeing a single poster for the movie anywhere, it was all Peabody and Sherman. I've even had maybe 10 friends ask, since the movie has been removed from Cinema's, "when does the new Muppet movie come out?". Unfortunately I was taken out of action the day after I saw the movie when a surgeon botched a routine op and damaged my eye (the surgery was NOT even on the eye!!), otherwise I would have waxed lyrical about it and made my friends see it!!
First off, eeep! I hope your eye is better! I'm having some troubles in that department myself.

That's what I'm learning. The international marketing campaign was lean this time. It's almost like the Disney execs prepared for the film to under-perform. I still give it a solid 4/5 stars.

In the US we had print ads, clever TV spots, appearances and a constant bombardment of Subway, Toyota, GoGurt and Lipton Tea commercials. However, it still under-performed.

A film friend of mine has a theory: The Muppets don't fit a pre-made category for modern auds. They're not cute like the typical CG fare (or their last movie) and they're not crude like the Hangover films. Monty Python would be a tough sell today because they, like Muppets, have a silliness that tends to go other the heads of younger viewers. These auds will say that this form of entertainment is obnoxious when the truth is that it makes them feel unintelligent.

I hope Disney doesn't dumb-down the enterprise or cute-it-up again. The balance of humor this time was pitch perfect. (I'm not sure about the Muppet ladder, but it was visually striking.)

Reevz1977

Reaction score
First off, eeep! I hope your eye is better! I'm having some troubles in that department myself.

That's what I'm learning. The international marketing campaign was lean this time. It's almost like the Disney execs prepared for the film to under-perform. I still give it a solid 4/5 stars.

In the US we had print ads, clever TV spots, appearances and a constant bombardment of Subway, Toyota, GoGurt and Lipton Tea commercials. However, it still under-performed.

A film friend of mine has a theory: The Muppets don't fit a pre-made category for modern auds. They're not cute like the typical CG fare (or their last movie) and they're not crude like the Hangover films. Monty Python would be a tough sell today because they, like Muppets, have a silliness that tends to go other the heads of younger viewers. These auds will say that this form of entertainment is obnoxious when the truth is that it makes them feel unintelligent.

I hope Disney doesn't dumb-down the enterprise or cute-it-up again. The balance of humor this time was pitch perfect. (I'm not sure about the Muppet ladder, but it was visually striking.)
Cheers Jamie, the eye is on the mend fortunately!! The surgeon was too busy talking about her Facebook account with the nurses and something slipped and damaged the cornea - a ****ing painful experience!!!

I actually LOVED the Muppet ladder in principle, it's this new "Muppet-this", "Muppet-that" that they are trying to create which really grates on me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Muppet Man bit, I just hated the "Muppet-man" dialogue.

I truly hope Disney don't try to change the Muppets to suit their perceived audience. The verbal and visual humour in this movie was perfect. It was intelligent and cleverly executed and I can't wait to see it again. Disney need to rethink their release strategy - that was the fundamental problem here, nothing else.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Cheers Jamie, the eye is on the mend fortunately!! The surgeon was too busy talking about her Facebook account with the nurses and something slipped and damaged the cornea - a ****ing painful experience!!!

I actually LOVED the Muppet ladder in principle, it's this new "Muppet-this", "Muppet-that" that they are trying to create which really grates on me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Muppet Man bit, I just hated the "Muppet-man" dialogue.

I truly hope Disney don't try to change the Muppets to suit their perceived audience. The verbal and visual humour in this movie was perfect. It was intelligent and cleverly executed and I can't wait to see it again. Disney need to rethink their release strategy - that was the fundamental problem here, nothing else.
Wow, that is not an advertisement for Facebook. Eeek!

I totally hope that's the case with this release. The film received so much fanfare here and the ads were remarkably clever:
The only thing I would add is a comment by Miss Piggy after her kiss saying, "Yucka! Would a breath mint have killed ya?"

Also yeah, the use of Muppet so much by the gang just seems weird. I'd call it a branding thing, but if that were the case it would have been "MuppetS Man" and "MuppetS Ladder." While I don't mind the silliness, it's not really a Muppety silliness. However, it's better than having the Swedish Chef hugging the chickens. He doesn't hug them, he puts them in der baskee!