Episodes that Have Stuck with You

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
There was one episode back around 1977 (somewhere around the 1100's? Your guess is as good as mine.) Oscar somehow managed to convince Bob to come inside his can. Bob opens the lid and tries to climb in. Oscar warns him to watch out for his fire-breathing dragon- next thing you know a big blast of smoke comes out of the can, and Bob's screaming in pain as his pants are getting burned up.

Att the end of the episode, Bob pulls himself out of the can (no easy feat) covered from head to toe in muck. His clothes are ripped to shreds (all that groovy polyester trashed!). He slowly heads back down the street. Everybody is stunned at the sight of him, but noone says a word. He passes Hooper's Store and comes to his door (once upon a time, Bob lived above Hooper's, and the door between Hooper's and the Fix-it Shop led upstairs to his crash pad). He goes inside, gives us a look that can kill, and slams the door in the viewer's face. Cue end credits.

Good luck digging this one up.
I hope this episode comes out of "Sesame Limbo" someday! Don't you think Bob would still live in that apartment? Sure, he doesn't appear on the show that often anymore, but that doesn't mean he would no longer live in that particular apartment.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm sure he still lives there, but you don't see too much of the insides of the buildings any more.

During the first season, quite a few scenes were shown in Susan and Gordon's kitchen. (Check out the very first episode! There's a groovy peace sign hanging on the wall.). They showed a number of scenes in Bob's apartment later as the 70's wore on- the 1978 special "Christmas On Sesame Street" shows how his apartment was laid out. Around this time they also started showing scenes on the roof of 123- up to and including Maria and Luis' wedding.

There was one episode, late 70's vintage- showing the basement of 123. Ernie and Bert live down there, but they showed a separate room set up like an actual basement. There was a furnace, hot water heater (which doesn't make sense, since hot water doesn't need heating!) and a washing machine.

One time Big Bird decided he was going to help with the laundry, and dumped a lot of soap in with the clothes. A short time later, the basement is four feet deep in suds. Gordon screams at Bird, "Did you put in a whole box of soap?!!!!", and Bird replies "No, that would be silly! I only put in HALF a box!"

Good clean fun brought to you by the letters F, R and the number 5.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
It's really cool how you remember a good number of classic Sesame Street moments. Sometimes, I wish Sesame Workshop would let more rare clips out of the vault for us fans to enjoy- especially the ones that you talk about every now and again!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Sometimes I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, but I can remember clips I saw once 40 years ago like it just happened.

Once upon a time there was a website called YesterdayLand (sadly long extinct) where people my age remembered stuff from the early years of the Street. And we didn't have the benefit of YouTube or Sesame Workshop to remember these clips by- we only had our memories to rely on.
A few of us drifted over here after YL shut down (myself, Xerus, Katzi 428, Ziffel, where are you?) we all have a great stash of memories to last us until (hopefully) some of these gems see the light of day again. I hope they do, not just for my sake to see some great stuff since Nineteenseventysomething, but for you younger folks to see what all the fuss was about in the first place.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Believe me, I absolutely would love to see what all the fuss was about back then! Of course, it's not up to us; it's up to Sesame Workshop...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not so much an episode, but I never stopped loving "Chair who forgot his glasses and bumps into everything and saying 'Excuse me.'" That's one I kept imitating as a small child.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Don't remember the episode # (someone can look it up), but when Snuffy was finally revealed.

It used to break my heart when Big Bird tried to show Snuffy to the grownups, but for one reason or another, Snuffy would wander off, and after a while the grownups were convinced Bird was a categorical liar.

As time went on, the adults got more impatient with Bird claiming Snuffy was real. But some of the kids got to see him. In one of the sweetest moments ever on the show Joey (a,b,c,d, COOKIE MONSTER! with Kermit) got to recite the alphabet with Snuffy. She sat down next to him and wrapped her arms around his trunk and they did their abc's together. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye.

It's too bad Mr. Hooper never got to meet Snuffy. The closest he ever came, once he lost his glasses. He's blindly feeling around, and finds Snuffy's trunk, but thinks it's Maria's fur coat.

cjd874

Reaction score
Don't remember the episode # (someone can look it up), but when Snuffy was finally revealed.

It used to break my heart when Big Bird tried to show Snuffy to the grownups, but for one reason or another, Snuffy would wander off, and after a while the grownups were convinced Bird was a categorical liar.

As time went on, the adults got more impatient with Bird claiming Snuffy was real. But some of the kids got to see him. In one of the sweetest moments ever on the show Joey (a,b,c,d, COOKIE MONSTER! with Kermit) got to recite the alphabet with Snuffy. She sat down next to him and wrapped her arms around his trunk and they did their abc's together. It's enough to bring a tear to your eye.

It's too bad Mr. Hooper never got to meet Snuffy. The closest he ever came, once he lost his glasses. He's blindly feeling around, and finds Snuffy's trunk, but thinks it's Maria's fur coat.
Snuffy was revealed in episode 2096 (season 17 or 18), nearly fifteen years after he first appeared on SS. And the episode where Hooper nearly sees Snufy is #796 where Snuffy counts the SS residents who miss him, among them Gordon, Susan, Willy, Maria, and even Cookie Monster.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_2096
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_0796

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score

Remember that one episode where Big Bird is convinced that Snuffy is imaginary, and comes to the realization that they can't be friends anymore? As I'm sure you probably know, while Big Bird and Snuffy are hugging each other goodbye, Snuffy's teardrops start soaking Big Bird's feathers. Big Bird deduces that if Snuffy's tears are real, Snuffy himself must be real, and they could still be friends after all. In my opinion, THAT should have been the opportunity for Snuffy to be revealed! Don't you think?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's one from I think either Season 22 or 23... all I remember was Mumford was trying to do a magic trick in which he would freeze a glass of water, only to instead cover the cobblestone of the arbor with a sheet of ice, which prompts a flock of penguins to start randomly ice skating while Maria slips and falls.