Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Muppet Master

Reaction score
11Dawn of the Planet of the ApesFox$36,000,000-50.4%3,969+2$9,070$138,953,000$1702
2NThe Purge: AnarchyUni.$28,369,000-2,805-$10,114$28,369,000$91
3NPlanes: Fire & RescueBV$18,000,000-3,826-$4,705$18,000,000$501
4NSex TapeSony$15,000,000-3,062-$4,899$15,000,000$401
52Transformers: Age of ExtinctionPar.$10,000,000-38.7%3,224-689$3,102$227,157,000$2104
Here are the weekend estimates, and thank god, apes managed to get #1, and see everyone, planes crashed! Though it's disturbing that it made a $1 million more than MMW. I think Disney should have switched the release dates of planes 2 and MMW.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Planes is going to make money anyway from being on home video, as its intent. But maybe they'll realize the franchise isn't as strong as they think it is. While I did manage to see someone over the weekend actually buy Planes toys (an older woman for her grandson, obvs...TRU even tried to give her a free ticket, and she pretty much refused until she realized she could just dump it on the kid she's buying the toys for), I just don't see major buzz or massive sales on it. I'm sure there's a chance it just doesn't play in my area, but I just see nothing but Planes 1 merch on shelves discounted with no one buying, sitting next to the sequel's stuff. Maybe Disney should have made Planes a TV show in the vein of Sophia the First/Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Sex tape, however, manages to keep the thread of underperforming comedies going. 22 Jump Street was the only one this year that didn't have a pathetic opening. It was probably the funniest of the bunch (through a Million Ways to Die in the West was criminally underrated), anyway. Then again, something tells me the concept of Sex Tape would have sold better if it was several years back when that was a fad. Comes off as a film about Pogs, somehow.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Planes is going to make money anyway from being on home video, as its intent. But maybe they'll realize the franchise isn't as strong as they think it is. While I did manage to see someone over the weekend actually buy Planes toys (an older woman for her grandson, obvs...TRU even tried to give her a free ticket, and she pretty much refused until she realized she could just dump it on the kid she's buying the toys for), I just don't see major buzz or massive sales on it. I'm sure there's a chance it just doesn't play in my area, but I just see nothing but Planes 1 merch on shelves discounted with no one buying, sitting next to the sequel's stuff. Maybe Disney should have made Planes a TV show in the vein of Sophia the First/Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Sex tape, however, manages to keep the thread of underperforming comedies going. 22 Jump Street was the only one this year that didn't have a pathetic opening. It was probably the funniest of the bunch (through a Million Ways to Die in the West was criminally underrated), anyway. Then again, something tells me the concept of Sex Tape would have sold better if it was several years back when that was a fad. Comes off as a film about Pogs, somehow.
The Planes toys fare well among toddlers. It's a cash cow in its own right. However, it's tracking like MMW even though it's in hundreds of more theaters.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The Planes toys fare well among toddlers. It's a cash cow in its own right. However, it's tracking like MMW even though it's in hundreds of more theaters.
Ya, even better, with the actuals the film only made $17.5 million for the 3-day weekend with nearly 3,700 theaters while MMW had a total closer to 3,100 theaters and that was only $500k behind with $17.0 million, though nevernthless it'll unfortunately wind up making more, because of the bustling summer weekdays, but maybe not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Probably in certain parts of the country. There just isn't a big call for it here. I just keep seeing stacks and stacks of clearance merchandise that no one is really going for. And again, right next to the new sequel based toys. That says something. Even poor/cheap parents would have scooped up some of these things by now.

Planes is most definitely a toddler to five year old franchise. That's probably why the second one's not getting much of a box office take. Five and under movies rarely manage to hit big. Maybe they were better off leaving this as a DTV movie series. Seems like the second only got a release to fill the void left by The Good Dinosaur's constant delays due to behind the scenes shake ups. I'm not looking forward to that movie as much as I should, since it just seems like the same problems Brave had, and how those setbacks caused the movie to end up the way it did. Not a huge vote of confidence there.

Ya, even better, with the actuals the film only made $17.5 million for the 3-day weekend with nearly 3,700 theaters while MMW had a total closer to 3,100 theaters and that was only $500k behind with $17.0 million, though nevernthless it'll unfortunately wind up making more, because of the bustling summer weekdays, but maybe not.
The weekday will probably save this thing, but not by much. If it has a low enough budget it may barely make it back, and Disney will call it a success. I just don't see it.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Probably in certain parts of the country. There just isn't a big call for it here. I just keep seeing stacks and stacks of clearance merchandise that no one is really going for. And again, right next to the new sequel based toys. That says something. Even poor/cheap parents would have scooped up some of these things by now.

Planes is most definitely a toddler to five year old franchise. That's probably why the second one's not getting much of a box office take. Five and under movies rarely manage to hit big. Maybe they were better off leaving this as a DTV movie series. Seems like the second only got a release to fill the void left by The Good Dinosaur's constant delays due to behind the scenes shake ups. I'm not looking forward to that movie as much as I should, since it just seems like the same problems Brave had, and how those setbacks caused the movie to end up the way it did. Not a huge vote of confidence there.

The weekday will probably save this thing, but not by much. If it has a low enough budget it may barely make it back, and Disney will call it a success. I just don't see it.
The budget is the same as MMW, $50 million, and I'm hoping this plummets come second weekend, and ends up with $45 million, that'll teach the mouse.

Drtooth

Reaction score
August was inordinately kind to Planes, considering that there were several kid's movies released in that period. This seems to be something that could manage to make money on weekdays since it's the only kid's film in theaters. But you bet that Disney's going to say "Number one family movie" or "Number one Comedy" or something like that.

Meanwhile Dawn of the Planet of the Apes opened pretty much better than any Non-Despicable Me movie this month last year. A slow box office weekend did cut that in half, though. Nice to see it outdid The Purge. And I totally would have seen Apes if I saw the one before it. Only reason I even saw 22 Jump Street was circumstances that left me either sitting at home doing nothing or watching a movie (and in that heat, 2 hours of air conditioning is all the difference), otherwise, not seeing the first of that one either, I would have skipped it. Glad I saw it, though, even with some of the references to the first film going over my head.

Speaking of which, a third movie sounds fiscally obvious, but I don't think they could pull it off without ruining the ending. SPOILERS

Know how I said they Lampshade the heck out of it being a sequel? The movie ends with the multiple sequels the film potentially could have spun off. Hilariously so.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Or a bunch of dopes that watched like one Muppet movie back when they were kids, and didn't like how everyone sounded wrong or something.
Yup, and that one movie will almost always be MCC which annoys me, becaus all those dumb critics think that's like the only good muppet movie even though it's probably the most overrated of the bunch, I think even more than TM.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Hooray! Now, I'm satisfied with the planes sequel. It only made
- $1,856,157

-59.1% / $485
$19,365,564 / 4

N/A

N/A

N/A
This is not good for a summer release. Even MMW got $1.15 million in March. This film needs help, because even when schools out forever! It still couldn't muster $2 million.