Commercial rant time...

mr3urious

Reaction score
Just when I thought wearing Snuggies and pajama bottoms in public were embarrassing, along comes this. A 105-year-old should not go out into the open with this. :eek:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Man, those things don't even look like good stuffed animals, let alone good pajamas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
...and then there's the plush toy/fish bowl abomination.

Which is actually cute if you put anything but a live fish in it.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Wow, I've never heard of the plushes that turn into clothes. That seems really creepy conceptually. Who looks at a stuffed animal and thinks "man, I want to wear this"?

Yeah. Those are a thing.

Cute for kids under the age of 5, disturbing for anyone older. And they totally want you to wear these in public.
Just when I thought wearing Snuggies and pajama bottoms in public were embarrassing, along comes this. A 105-year-old should not go out into the open with this. :eek:
This sounds like something whose humiliation would be similar (if not worse than) the scene in A Christmas Story where Ralphie's mom orders him to come downstairs, wearing the pink bunny outfit which was a Christmas gift from Aunt Clara....:rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The worst thing about those mail order toy commercials is that they have to be so freaking annoying. For what they are, I have no problem with regular toy commercials. They quickly show what they can do, manage to grab the intended audience, and are to the point. Some can even be entertaining in their own right. Lego did a brilliant thing by advertising Mixels through a series of short cartoons (though, only exclusive to CN and the web).

But these mail away ones have the worst qualities of mail away gadget commercials (but not the unintentionally funny "Too incompetent to operate a blanket"). Capped off with syrupy, gooey music that's not sure what age and gender it's supposed to attract. And they're long. They sing the saccharine jingle 3-5 times in the commercial. The minute long ads feel like an ordeal to sit through. And technically, they're aiming for grandparents that don't know what their kids actually like.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Those mail-order toy commercials baffle me. The toys themselves don't even look remarkable enough to not sell in stores, unlike some other infomercial products.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And they totally sell them in stores, too. A short 30 second ad with a non-cloying jingle would work just as well. Most of the toys are plush toys that do one other thing, anyway. I'm sure there's an explanation for the mail order aspect. Maybe it's because they don't fully get absorbed into B&M retailers until later or something.

Yet, I'd also add that some of the toys wind up at discounted outlets anyway. Something about having to pay extra for shipping and having to wait for it is off putting. That's good for shut ins, I guess. It's not like amazon, where you can find things cheaper (even with shipping), and I'm sure most kids would actually like to go to the stores and see the toys in person.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Toaster Strudel. "Best Morning Ever!!!!!" Sometimes I wish I could be like Elvis. When he didn't like something on TV, he'd shoot up the screen with his 45.

One of the perks of being The King.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's essentially the creepiest thing I've ever seen in commercials next to Axe's Chocolate man. That Stepford Yodellander. I actually feel sorry for the kid. He must get beaten up at school for that commercial.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As absolutely obnoxious as the mid-term political commercials are, this really gets me up.

Just before the mid-terms, and we're supposed to believe this is all coincidental, the Koch brothers took a page from the ol' rich jerk's playbook and put out a PR commercial saying how wonderfully American their companies are and how they're not evil, they hire people. No one has ever worked for bad people in history. They even shoved in a totally manipulative "farm to table" lie in there.

These are just as bad, if not worse, than BP's "come visit the Gulf! We cleaned it up because it was our duty!" Pfft. If the government didn't make you clean it up, you would've done jack about it, and the US would have to foot the bill.

Seriously... stop with the freaking pooing away money on PR. We know you're all jerks. We don't care. No one has yet to issue a boycott effective enough for anyone to care. Save that money so you don't have to whine about losing it.