Chances For Another Muppet Movie

Do the muppets have a chance at making a new movie?

• Yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I highly agree with what you're saying. Plus, I've been thinking. Back when the 2011 movie became a huge hit, it definitely made perfect sense for another movie to be in the making. Little by little, when all of those ads for Muppets Most Wanted kept showing up, I couldn't stop thinking to myself, "This movie is gonna be so awesome, I have a real hunch that there will be another film!" But then, when I saw how small of a box office it got, and how not just myself but a lot of you other guys had the honor of seeing it in a theater where there was an incredibly small audience, that's when that thought I had immediately disappeared. Again, if Bobin and Stoller really pull the plug on making theatrical films, I won't be surprised.
I actually expected MMW to do really well at the box office, because the muppet movies haven't exactly been box office bombs, far from them. TMM was one of the 10 highest grossing films of 1979 with over $200 million adjusted to today's money, quite an impressive feat for a puppet film. GMC, MTM, MCC, and MTI also were nowhere near box office bombs being either modest successes to large successes with grosses ranging from $50 million-$90 million, still really good for low budget puppet movies. In fact, if it weren't for MFS, the muppets would have a clean run. Though considering the huge popularity of the muppets, I laughed at the thought of the film disappointing. To be fair it still has to make money in foreign territories, but I expected it to open to $20 million, and end with a $65 million gross domestically. Though it didn't do that well, obviously, but maybe if "Something So Right" wins an Oscar or even gets nominated, Disney might change its tune. I mean you do get tons of money for that. So, I think if it makes like $20 million more in foreign territories, gets great Blu-Ray and DVD sales, and wins/gets nominated for an Oscar, then there may still be hope for another muppet movie.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'd love another movie, but I think that the Muppets are at home on TV, and maybe should do a special or two to test the water for a potential series. Like some people have said on here before, AFV is on its last legs with Tom Bergeron quitting, so ABC could have space on Sunday nights in 2015 for a Muppet show if specials were to go well.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I actually expected MMW to do really well at the box office, because the muppet movies haven't exactly been box office bombs, far from them. TMM was one of the 10 highest grossing films of 1979 with over $200 million adjusted to today's money, quite an impressive feat for a puppet film. GMC, MTM, MCC, and MTI also were nowhere near box office bombs being either modest successes to large successes with grosses ranging from $50 million-$90 million, still really good for low budget puppet movies. In fact, if it weren't for MFS, the muppets would have a clean run. Though considering the huge popularity of the muppets, I laughed at the thought of the film disappointing. To be fair it still has to make money in foreign territories, but I expected it to open to $20 million, and end with a $65 million gross domestically. Though it didn't do that well, obviously, but maybe if "Something So Right" wins an Oscar or even gets nominated, Disney might change its tune. I mean you do get tons of money for that. So, I think if it makes like $20 million more in foreign territories, gets great Blu-Ray and DVD sales, and wins/gets nominated for an Oscar, then there may still be hope for another muppet movie.
I think another major reason Muppets Most Wanted didn't do so well at the box office was due to the fact that Divergent came out that same weekend, and Captain America was released 2 weeks later, and considering how big the fan base is for both of those films, they really badly outnumbered Muppets Most Wanted.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I'd love another movie, but I think that the Muppets are at home on TV, and maybe should do a special or two to test the water for a potential series. Like some people have said on here before, AFV is on its last legs with Tom Bergeron quitting, so ABC could have space on Sunday nights in 2015 for a Muppet show if specials were to go well.
Rightfully true.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Simple fact. NO ONE saw movies in March. Unless you were a Lego, Super Hero, Transformer, or Godzilla, chances are your movie underperformed. Dreamworks can't catch a break. And while Rise of the Guardians (based on a kid's book no one's heard of), Turbo (Cars with Snails), and Peabody and Sherman (based on a 55 year old cartoon...made the most of the bunch, though) have had audience alienating premises, HTTYD 2 should have been a biger hit... especially with no Pixar movies around. Sure, it was the best opening DW has had for some time, but when a heavy hitter like that is struggling at the box office, it speaks to an overall movie sales problem and no doubt we'll hear about how there's been a huge decline with 3-D superhero films (and 22 Jump Street) being the only things that sold this year.

Might I also add Planes is barely doing any better than MMW? And no doubt Disney will keep that one going because of the toy sales (that I don't actually see selling).

MWW made money. Small amounts of money, but it made money. This is the company that thought a huge budget Lone Ranger movie made a good 50 years or more after the character was relevant was worth sinking money into...even after they initially pulled the project after Cowboys vs. Aliens bombed. A Muppet movie could get literally 5 people to see the film on a matinee and lose less money that that train wreck. And what's Disney going to make for low budget family films? Yet another dull "Prom" or "College Road Trip" comedy movie that no one actually sees?

It won't bankrupt Disney to try one last time. Maybe get a different team in, definitely be more careful who stars as the human. I'm convinced Ricky Gervais scared off a LOT of prudish parents, not to mention hipsters that got sick of him (because if you do one bad movie or something, you're automatically a non-person). Heck, pander to the foreign markets and do Muppets go to China and Pretend it's not Totally ^%$#@ed Up.

Eyeball

Reaction score
I think another major reason Muppets Most Wanted didn't do so well at the box office was due to the fact that Divergent came out that same weekend, and Captain America was released 2 weeks later, and considering how big the fan base is for both of those films, they really badly outnumbered Muppets Most Wanted.
Honestly, me and my friends had never even heard of divergent before the movie came out, and it sucked big time so we couldn't understand the hype of it, MMW didn't do well over here as i said before in other threads that Disney's advertising in the UK was terrible (ask any other UK member and they'll back that up)I mean on ITV on Saturday evenings they didn't even show any MMW trailers during the cube which is on at prime time, but what we did get were a few subway ads put on sporadicly which had only a short disclaimer at the end actually mentioning the film, yet not a single advert on buses or bus stops or even a billboard for that matter.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Honestly, me and my friends had never even heard of divergent before the movie came out, and it sucked big time so we couldn't understand the hype of it, MMW didn't do well over here as i said before in other threads that Disney's advertising in the UK was terrible (ask any other UK member and they'll back that up)I mean on ITV on Saturday evenings they didn't even show any MMW trailers during the cube which is on at prime time, but what we did get were a few subway ads put on sporadicly which had only a short disclaimer at the end actually mentioning the film, yet not a single advert on buses or bus stops or even a billboard for that matter.
Yeah I had never heard of divergent before either and it sounded rubbish. Also you have a good point about the advertising in the UK. There wasn't hardly any advertising a few subway ads and I think I saw like one TV spot. and the only billboard I saw was in the cinema when I went to watch it

Eyeball

Reaction score
Yeah I had never heard of divergent before either and it sounded rubbish. Also you have a good point about the advertising in the UK. There wasn't hardly any advertising a few subway ads and I think I saw like one TV spot. and the only billboard I saw was in the cinema when I went to watch it
LOL in the cinema itself aswell.... It was terrible wasn't it ? in stark contrast to the muppets where you could not walk 5 minutes without seeing anything muppety, even sky sports were showing the muppets adverts during super Sunday but with MMW we got nothing and for what reason?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
You know it didn't help that MMW had meh weekday totals, and weak holds. Besides the second weekend, MMW plummeted 50-60% like a few weeks afterward, really hurting it. Films that open to $17 million can manage to make nearly $60 million or more, MMW really didn't hold well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, me and my friends had never even heard of divergent before the movie came out, and it sucked big time so we couldn't understand the hype of it,
I haven't heard of it either, and I usually know about poorly written, cliche ridden, hormonally hyped young adult novels before they become movies. Twilight was well known well before the movie. This wasn't. Maybe amongst the 14 year old girls who love Mary Sues in professionally written novels that are all exactly the same.

But frankly, that shouldn't have mattered. Younger audiences should have flocked to MMW, and didn't. March is only a break period regionally, and I doubt that it even fell on enough regional breaks to make daily money anyway.

Now, what went on in Europe is bull. The film was made for European audiences, and while Disney was weasling about it being the number 1 comedy here 2 weeks in a row, they didn't bother pandering to the very group they were pandering to with a European trip script. The film should have made more money overseas, but they completely... well... didn't so much drop the ball as much as never acknowledge there was a ball in the first place. They stopped even counting the box office after a while.

But whatever the reason... it made MONEY! There's no way this was going for Pixar money, but considering how much they lost with Lone Ranger, it STILL was a better investment. Even if MMW lost money, it would have been chump change. They could have made it up with Spider-Man toy sales.