Is Frozen overrated?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
True, but he didn't need to save her (she saved him...twice). And I think it seemed he ended up attracted to her because of her bravery and strength, not her beauty (in fact, as was sometime brought up in some of my LGBT lit/media classes in college, he seemed attracted to her before even knowing she was a woman). So, there's that.

The comments I'm referring to never even bring up the Bechdel test.
Great points! Hahaha! I wasn't even thinking of that. I admit to being much more impressed by Mulan than I expected to be. :flirt:

I still can't understand how most films still can't accomplish the Bechdel test's minimal standards. The women in my life often speak to one another about a variety of topics that have nothing to do with men - and not in an intentional way. :excited:

There's a test I used to give my film school friends from years ago:
Quickly name five popular women directors, whom aren't also actors, and their films. It's hard to do! It's easier to do for writers, but nobody remembers writers much. That's insane because everything starts with the script. At least, it should! :mad:

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Great points! Hahaha! I wasn't even thinking of that. I admit to being much more impressed by Mulan than I expected to be. :flirt:

I still can't understand how most films still can't accomplish the Bechdel test's minimal standards. The women in my life often speak to one another about a variety of topics that have nothing to do with men - and not in an intentional way. :excited:

There's a test I used to give my film school friends from years ago:
Quickly name five popular women directors, whom aren't also actors, and their films. It's hard to do! It's easier to do for writers, but nobody remembers writers much. That's insane because everything starts with the script. At least, it should! :mad:
I would have liked to see Mulan talk to another woman (like her mother, or her grandmother) about something besides a man. I think her scenes with her family, though, were supposed to show that she was the closest to her father (hence her going to war in his place to begin with), but it still would have been nice.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I would have liked to see Mulan talk to another woman (like her mother, or her grandmother) about something besides a man. I think her scenes with her family, though, were supposed to show that she was the closest to her father (hence her going to war in his place to begin with), but it still would have been nice.
Even beyond Mulan, its such a rare occurrence. So much is made of "token" minorities in film, but what about token women? The fact is, there's always one around, but seldom more than that.

I also felt that the witch in Brave should have served a larger purpose than as a plot device. There were three generations of feminine wisdom in that film, but only two were touched on. I'm not saying she needed a whole plotline, but she should have returned in the end or in the middle for a moment. It's a lost opportunity. My guess is that there were so many drafts of Brave that maybe she had a better role in one of them.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
As far as Underrated and Overrated go:

Quoted for truth. ANYthing popular is considered overrated. There's a difference between overrated and hype backlash.

As far as underrated goes: I'll say that the minority of underrated kid's films that are actually good tend to get a cult following and tend to be vindicated by history. Films like Paranorman and Iron Giant...which, as far as the mainstream audience is concerned, are underrated... but it has a justifiably large amount of love from animation fans. But a lot of relatively unloved animated features are actually quite awful. Like I always say, sure... we can whine about the fifth party CGI studios now... but what about stuff like We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story and Thumbellina? Impossible to defend without a Nostalgia filter... and even as a preteen I thought Thumbs deserved two Thumbellinas down... minus "I'm Mad" of course...
I never understood all that hate for Thumbelina really....

D'Snowth

Reaction score
FROZEN had a fanbase long before the movie even came out. And a huge one at that. I never really understood how a movie that hadn't even been released yet garners so much fandom. Last summer, I had a commission on deviantART, somebody asked me to do a pic of Hans with his son... who was the guy's OC. Even before it came out, not only did it have a fanbase, but that fanbase had OCs already too. And since it hadn't come out yet, and all that was available was the odd press shot here and there, I really had no references to work with.

Go fig.

And... heh... Sarge's a-scared of a snowman. :stick_out_tongue:

FunnieGuy

Reaction score
I just hate how it's popular for all the wrong reasons.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
FROZEN had a fanbase long before the movie even came out. And a huge one at that. I never really understood how a movie that hadn't even been released yet garners so much fandom. Last summer, I had a commission on deviantART, somebody asked me to do a pic of Hans with his son... who was the guy's OC. Even before it came out, not only did it have a fanbase, but that fanbase had OCs already too. And since it hadn't come out yet, and all that was available was the odd press shot here and there, I really had no references to work with.

Go fig.

And... heh... Sarge's a-scared of a snowman. :stick_out_tongue:
Different iterations of Frozen have been in the making since the early days of Disney. They'd dust it off over the years just to scrap the idea again and again. Of course it had pre-made fans. It was a legend before a film.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Like how people interpret "Let It Go" as a song about coming out of the closet.
Well, yes and no. "Let It Go" is an all-inclusive song about prejudice and bigotry. There's nothing wrong with the LGBT connecting to it. Those who'd have such an issue with it would likely be bigots themselves and the reason for the song in the first place.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never understood all that hate for Thumbelina really....
Maybe because it's a bad film that's a waste of Don Bluth's talents? It's overall an unnecessary and painful to watch film, cynically made to cash in off the Princess Movie Boom Disney had at the time. Even Gilbert Gotfried couldn't get me to laugh. It's not even fun to watch ironically. Just overall a poorly made big studio mockbuster. Anastasia was better... actually watchable, but even then, you can tell they were trying to make a Disney film. Bluth did much better stuff in the 80's, back when animated films were more anything goes.

Different iterations of Frozen have been in the making since the early days of Disney. They'd dust it off over the years just to scrap the idea again and again. Of course it had pre-made fans. It was a legend before a film.
That seems to have started to become a trend with movies. Though I can't for the life of me think of many others at the moment. Still need to see it, but I've heard stories of how the film was supposed to be... a typical sneering villain with a wacky sidekick Disney film. Yep. Olaf was essentially the Iago/Hyenas/Pain and Panic of the film... probably abused by the Snow Queen villain... the film wouldn't have been as big as it was if it was just a formulaic Disney film. And it all turned on the writing of the "Let it Go" song.