Sesame Street episode highlights from 1977

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I tried scanning them, but it just isn't working out. They are too huge and fragile.

First issue covers shows #1-24 (odd that it doesn't finish the week).

Well...we know which segment of show #1 was considered the most important. (Funny, I recently watched the DVD and fast forwarded through the cow film. I would have flunked! You mean they're not gonna ask what color Oscar is?)

PROGRAM #1
teaches THE LETTER W (in a weird story of Wanda the Witch) -- THE NUMBER 2 -- the words OVER, THROUGH, and AROUND -- and

where milk comes from
(a good look at the warm and friendly cow that gives us the milk we drink).

Talk more about cows. "What sound does a cow make?" "What do cows eat?" "Where do cows live?" Help the children use the information that they have learned about cows to answer more difficult questions such as, "Why do cows live in the country instead of in the city?" You may have to help them start to reason by asking a few questions that give hints: "Let's think. What was it that cows eat?" "Is there much grass in the city? In the country?"

Ask the children to draw pictures of cows. Add grass for them to eat and maybe the barn where they are milked.

Make butter. It's easy to do and as dramatic and exciting as a magic show. It's fun to have the children guess what will happen before you begin. Pour heavy cream into a mixing bowl and beat with an eggbeater (past the whipped cream stage) until flakes of butter form. Pour off the milk (it's buttermilk) and work the butter together with a spoon. Rinse it with cold water and taste. It's sweet butter. Add a little salt and taste again.

Talk about other things made from milk: cream, butter, whipped cream, ice cream, cottage cheese. Look through magazines for pictures of milk products.
Cool! Thanks!:wisdom:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When reading that one article about making digital copies in 1999 and providing a system where they can find what clips they're looking for through keywords, it kind of sounds like what I've heard about the upcoming "Simpsons World" app where fans can view any episode, even being able to find what they're looking for by typing in quotes. It would be cool if Sesame Workshop would put out a big app that allowed for watching any episode or insert possible.

The keyword searching to find clips also looks similar to how you can find clips by searching certain keywords at sesamestreet.org, except that it said that they could even find what they're looking for by searching the writers and directors. Too bad sesamestreet.org doesn't allow fans to search by writer or director. The closest there is that I know of is that if you type "Henson" in search all of Jim Henson's non-Muppet films (and one Muppet isnert) that appear on the site show up.

And it mentioned something about the database for Sesame Workshop allowing them to know where and how long they can air certain clips. So does that mean that some inserts from the show actually had expiration dates regarding residuals and royalties, even for broadcast? I would like to think that the rights were cleared for all television broadcasts.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
When reading that one article about making digital copies in 1999 and providing a system where they can find what clips they're looking for through keywords, it kind of sounds like what I've heard about the upcoming "Simpsons World" app where fans can view any episode, even being able to find what they're looking for by typing in quotes. It would be cool if Sesame Workshop would put out a big app that allowed for watching any episode or insert possible.

The keyword searching to find clips also looks similar to how you can find clips by searching certain keywords at sesamestreet.org, except that it said that they could even find what they're looking for by searching the writers and directors. Too bad sesamestreet.org doesn't allow fans to search by writer or director. The closest there is that I know of is that if you type "Henson" in search all of Jim Henson's non-Muppet films (and one Muppet isnert) that appear on the site show up.

And it mentioned something about the database for Sesame Workshop allowing them to know where and how long they can air certain clips. So does that mean that some inserts from the show actually had expiration dates regarding residuals and royalties, even for broadcast? I would like to think that the rights were cleared for all television broadcasts.
That depends on whatever contracts were signed at the time. Unfortunately, the lawyers end up having to sort that out.

It is very cool, though, that (1) they maintained an archive all those years -- who would have thought? -- and (2) technology is in place to make it searchable like that. Imagine what a huge job that must be, going through decades worth of material. Oh, and (3) a small selection of it has even made it out on DVD and other means for us to be able to enjoy today. As long as we don't show it to our kids, that's a major no-no!:rolleyes:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody at Muppet Wiki can come to University of Maryland sometime in the near future and look at the season 11 and 12 guides (and remaining season 10 guides, if there are any). At this point there'd probably be episodes that featured Leslie Mostly, Dr. Noble Price, Deena and Pearl, and Warren Wolf, as well as the start of episodes with Bruno (depending on whether he would be mentioned in script highlights for scenes he appears in). I particularly wonder if any of the season 12 guides up there can clue us in on whether the "bring your own can night" segment was an insert or part of a street story. It'd be interesting to finally see EKAs for Deena and Pearl sketches.

But then again, is the stuff found in these scans from the CTW Archives? I wonder how it's all been found here (did Danny or somebody with scans put them there? Did the University of Maryland provide them?).

I guess I shouldn't be surprised if the program guides indeed went past season 12 (and I know Oscarfan didn't specifically say they did, just guessed). Somebody at Muppet Wiki has Japanese program guides for episodes from the late 1980s and 1990s (and a selection of season two guides). Of course those are different from the American guides, as they appear to be complete rundowns of the Japanese broadcasts of episodes (well, the season two ones aren't).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody at Muppet Wiki can come to University of Maryland sometime in the near future and look at the season 11 and 12 guides (and remaining season 10 guides, if there are any). At this point there'd probably be episodes that featured Leslie Mostly, Dr. Noble Price, Deena and Pearl, and Warren Wolf, as well as the start of episodes with Bruno (depending on whether he would be mentioned in script highlights for scenes he appears in). I particularly wonder if any of the season 12 guides up there can clue us in on whether the "bring your own can night" segment was an insert or part of a street story. It'd be interesting to finally see EKAs for Deena and Pearl sketches.

But then again, is the stuff found in these scans from the CTW Archives? I wonder how it's all been found here (did Danny or somebody with scans put them there? Did the University of Maryland provide them?).
(I'm starting the remaining season 10 stuff soon.)

"Bring Your Own Can Night" is definitely part of a street story; it's too out-of-context to be an insert.

Gordon Matt

Reaction score
This is great, I'm glad so much info is coming together. Years ago Noggin ran a short clip from Sesame Street of Big Bird singing "Somebody Come And Play" which otherwise didn't appear in a show. I only saw it once and fortunately happened to catch it on VHS. Going through the stuff I recorded, I looked over at Muppet Wiki and was able to find that this segment goes back to the 1974-75 season (at least). I always like to be able to identify stuff like that as close as possible.