Mike Tyson gets ironic Adult Swim show

Drtooth

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I was in a Newbury Comics and saw something strange. One of those Retro Mego style action figures of Mike Tyson from some strange cartoon series that didn't exist yet.

Last night I found out where it was from. Mike Tyson is the star of a new [as] cartoon series, a Scooby-Doo parody type series. And since this is adult swim, it makes about as much sense as anything.

Looks like Tyson is trying to go for some prime Adam Westing after that Hangover movie he was in. Seems like it may pay off. They had better reference his popular Nintendo game in this series. Other than that, the Dean from Community's one of the voice actors (he plays the ghost of the Marquis of Queensberry, you know, cuz Boxing reference). That alone's going to be something.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here's a sneak preview.

The dialogue feels a bit like something out of Harvey Birdman, which isn't a bad thing. I like how Norm MacDonald voices the pigeon, too.

I just know there going to fit an ear-biting joke in this show somewhere.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just know there going to fit an ear-biting joke in this show somewhere.
Ehhh... I dunno. Seems like they'd kinda try to stay away from anything unless Mike has a very good sense of humor about it. Which is kind of why I'm a little iffy on this series. Mike did some pretty rough stuff, but he seems like he's moved on from that and wants to leave it in the past. If he was comfortable with it, I'd see one. If not, I don't think the writers are in the business of getting a very big guy who's career was pounding people mad at them. Depends on the willingness he has of laughing about himself.

I got to admit, some [as] shows are very good (Rick and Morty for example), some just... I don't get. I have a weird thing about SuperJail, I'm not sure if I really like it or feel the nonstop slaughtered bodies gets too gratuitous to be funny, and in the way of the storyline. I really dig the Warden, though. China Il, I watched one episode and decided it wasn't for me. As for this series, I'm pretty confident the writers can keep this material fresh enough beyond the novelty of the concept. I'm actually a little excited they're subtly getting back to their Hanna Barbera parody roots. That said, I want more Black Dynamite. Among other things, I love the look of that show.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The first episode premiered, and it's pretty promising. The humor style is very Harvey Birdman-esque (no pun intended) with all its heavy dialogue and surrealism. I'm especially liking the wisecracking Norm MacDonald-voiced pigeon.

Nice to see Warner Animation doing something for Adult Swim, too. I don't think they've done anything for them until now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My only complaint is the 10 minute run time. I wonder how this show would be if it ran the full half hour and had deeper storylines. Then again, that might not work well for it.

Mike seems to have just enough sense of humor on this one. They portray him as mildly insane, after all. But not in a hugely insulting way. So far this series is pretty good.

I'm guessing that WB animation did this to really get the Scooby-Doo look of the series down. It certainly looks a lot like one of the Scooby Movies they make now. On that subject, Titmouse isn't doing Black Dynamite anymore, but rather Cartoon Network studios. It even has a production logo at the end like the Billy and Mandy era.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I saw a commercial of it on FOX, and it was not a very good commercial, Mike just demanded that we watch the show, it seems FOX has the most cable channel ads.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The commercials don't say a thing about what the show is like. It's a great throwback to Harvey Birdman, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Sea Lab, and being a multi-level parody of celebrity based cartoons from the 80's and self inflicted Scooby-Doo knockoffs. And apparently, contemporary literature references.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I like how Stephen Root voiced the founder of IBM in the latest episode. That guy can make anything sound funny with that hillbilly voice of his. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else find Mike's "fight or flight" response when he races to save his daughter uncomfortably hilarious, especially when he punches out an old lady along the way? Looks like Mike is okay with being his character being portrayed in a less than positive light after all. And Yung Hee in a swimsuit in the beginning? Nice. :big_grin:

It's also clear that MTM is not so much about detective stuff as it is about uncovering mysteries of the universe. It's one thing that sets it apart from other Scooby-Doo parodies.

Last edited: