Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

FunnieGuy

Reaction score
Well,only Chuck E. Cheeses and Viewers Like You still fund the show,so I can see why they're having to cut costs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unfortunately,I've learned that Walter Massey,the original voice actor of Principal Haney and Mr.Marco(Arthur's second grade teacher) passed away on August 4,2014.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1491864/canadian-actor-walter-massey-dies-at-85/

Sigh... G'bye Guru Lou...

They could make the character silent or not appear at all, sure. But that's probably going to be more out of respect than cheapness. They'd still have to pay a voice actor one way or another, and it's Canada, where voice acting's kinda cheap compared with California anyway.

And they still had to resort to doing a clip show to save money. :rolleyes:
Which was jarring because the clips came from earlier non-Flash episodes. And one of the Flashbacks even had new footage in it. Not to mention the fact that they had to redub all of George's lines anyway, taking away the infliction when George was talking out of Wally. Which wouldn't have been bad, but in the original version, George's real voice was breaking, as if he were about to cry, taking the emotion out of the scene. And to make that even worse it was the second part, following a very bad episode. OUCH!

wiley207

Reaction score
Yeah, it's sad about the loss of Mr. Haney's voice actor. His voice was noticeably old-sounding in Season 16's "Get Smart." Miss Turner (the librarian)'s voice actress is also sounding pretty old nowadays, too.

However, compare Season 17 with Season 16. The animation is slightly improved: the lines aren't so thick anymore, and movements are more smooth. Honestly, I am glad 9 Story Entertainment took over, otherwise the show would've been canceled with Cookie Jar shutting down! (I believe DHX still owns the rights to the series, but has 9 Story produce the new episodes, like they do with "Johnny Test.")

A big advantage on the Flash production is that it allows them to do the animation work in-house, instead of subcontracting to a studio based in Korea or the Philippines or whatever. But not all Flash animation is bad: I've seen a few bits of Season 17 animation that was at least up to par with the episodes made at least five years ago. Plus, we have other shows with good Flash animation like "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" and "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends."

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Unfortunately,I've learned that Walter Massey,the original voice actor of Principal Haney and Mr.Marco(Arthur's second grade teacher) passed away on August 4,2014.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1491864/canadian-actor-walter-massey-dies-at-85/
Oh, and I read that he died of pancreatic cancer or something...Kei Tomiyama died of the same thing and he got replaced in most shows. Other shows he starred on...weren't so lucky. Maybe both characters will never appear again?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That... kinda makes sense why Mr. Haney sounded like he was dying in recent episodes (then again, Miss Turner sounds worse)... another sign that perhaps this show's been on too long when some of the adult characters sound like they've already got one foot in the grave? Irregardless, sad to hear about this.

Oh, and...

They're that kind of fanbase, actually... TV Tropes even points this out in Arthur's YMMV page.
Dude, I actually wrote that. Because it's true. For some reason, Alex and Maria do have fans for some reason.

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, compare Season 17 with Season 16. The animation is slightly improved: the lines aren't so thick anymore, and movements are more smooth. Honestly, I am glad 9 Story Entertainment took over, otherwise the show would've been canceled with Cookie Jar shutting down! (I believe DHX still owns the rights to the series, but has 9 Story produce the new episodes, like they do with "Johnny Test.")
It's getting more adapt, I agree. I especially hated how the earlier episodes of season 16 had Muffy's nose all the way down to her chin in profile, like they had no reference for her profile at all and made it up on the fly. As for the thick/thin inconsistent lines, that was a sizing issue. They just took stock models of the characters and reused them without fixing their outlines. Closeups looked awful.

Dude, I actually wrote that. Because it's true. For some reason, Alex and Maria do have fans for some reason.
Yeah. On deviant art a couple members kept telling me about it, like I cared. I really wanted to reply "yeah, that's cool, but when do you think they'll make an episode featuring Arthur?" Seems like he's fading into the background now. 'cept for the clip show and that bad one about Sue Ellen.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah. On deviant art a couple members kept telling me about it, like I cared. I really wanted to reply "yeah, that's cool, but when do you think they'll make an episode featuring Arthur?" Seems like he's fading into the background now. 'cept for the clip show and that bad one about Sue Ellen.
Arthur has kind of been fading into the background for the past ten years now. I can remember when Seasons 7 and 8 were new, so many episodes focused on other characters (some even excluded Arthur altogether), I thought the show needed to be renamed ELWOOD CITY KIDS or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Something I really don't mind if it's one of Arthur's friends. But when it's like a friend of a friend of D.W.? No thanks. Then it expanded to friend of a friend of Kate, and Mei Lin (the most obnoxious jerkwad on the show)... You can't even call it Arthur and Friends. More like Arthur and Acquaintance of Acquaintance of Relatives.

I'm surprised they just don't make an episode about the "CHUCKLETS?! I'm Ah-lurrrrrrrrrrgic tuh chucklets!" guy and the hairy lollipop that keeps popping up under couch cushions.