Make Muppet Central more like the old days!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Oh heeeeyyyy here comes Sarge the party pooper :stick_out_tongue:

It was touched on in the other thread, but here's the thing. You can't 'bring the old days back.' What made the old days fun was how spontaneous things were. It was not 'lets make a thread dedicated to forcing ourselves to be silly. Things. Just. Happened.

The thread could go on normally for a while and then suddenly someone tacked something on to the end of the reply like *throws a muffin at __name here__* and then there would be a few goofy posts for a while and then things would calm down.

Making 'silly' threads is NOT bringing people back to the old days. What made the old days great is that no one expected the craziness to start. It just would, then would quickly fizzle out, then start up again.
I agree with the Sargent Party Pooper here. As he noted, the craziness and wildness was spontaneous. But the moderators also seemed to let it go and wasn't so quick to delete posts. Now anytime anything gets remotely off-topic it gets deleted by a mod it seems. The muffin posts in the thread need to be left up. Eventually, the thread will find it's way back on topic, and if not, who cares, somebody had some fun and a few laughs along the way. The craziness and zaniness that can happen in a thread is much closer to the muppets personalities and dynamics than an over-moderated or controlled thread. Imagine what it would be like if every time Gonzo (or any other muppet) pulled one of his stunts Kermit would send him to the corner and then edit it out of the show? You'd have a pretty boring show.

I appreciate what fozzieisfunny is trying to do. He's trying to change the attitude and habits of posters here and encourage them to be more zany. But it seems like the moderators have a different attitude and direction. It's like rather then having Kermit being responsible for what goes on at the Muppet show, Sam the Eagle is. Can you imagine how boring the Muppet Show would be with Sam in charge?

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Swedish Chef: Hergen mergen shma fwa ma boomy boomy
( throws a pie at you)

Now, here's the message I was trying to get across: If you complain about how the old days were better, then make it like the old days!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And to further touch on what Sergeant Pooter Parpy said, I've said it a thousand times, part of the reason why it'll never be like the old days around here anymore is because a number of significant "old timers" aren't even here anymore, and many of them by their own choice.

Granted, half of them can't help not being here anymore because we were still kids ourselves during those old days and therefore had a lot more freetime than we do now, and a lot of the old timers are simply caught up in life: many of them have jobs, are making a living, a number of them are married now, and as such, a lot of old timers simply don't have the time to goof off on MC like they used to.

Then there's a number of old timers who aren't here anymore simply because they don't want to be here anymore for one reason or another. MC, unfortunately, went through a few spells for a couple of years in 2009 and 2010 or so where there was a lot of "high school drama" going around: things got a little cliquish at times, and some feelings were hurt from some people who felt ignored, neglected, or out of place, while others would go on posting sprees in desperate cries for attention. As MuppetsRule just pointed out, moderation around here had to get stricter since then because of it; prior to 2009, it was rare that a thread had to be locked for getting out of hand, and almost non-existent for a thread to be deleted for any reason... post-2009, however, it's become far more commonplace. A lot of this has turned off many of the old timers, hence why they're not here anymore.

Part of it too is because MC was a considerably smaller community back in those days: everybody kind of knew everybody, so we all had a sense of each other and what we liked and disliked, when we were most active during the day and such, so it had a more close-knit feel to it back then. Since then, the MC community has grown to massive proportions, and as I pointed out, it's easy for some people out there to feel inferior because they may have lower post counts than others, or they're not as well-known as other members, or whatever.

I've noticed now the same thing with the old timers is starting to happen with the "second generation" MCers as well: a lot of them are disappearing or have already disappeared long before now too, and a lot of it is for the same reasons. The forum staff aside, I think myself, Beau, and only a small handful of others are really the only real old timers left here.

But like both Sarge and MuppetsRule pointed out, part of the reason why the old days were the way they were is because a lot of the mayhem was spontaneous, but it was also under control as well: we knew where the lines had to be drawn, and we kept from going overboard. Often is the case now is the mayhem is forced and then it keeps going as if nobody knows when to stop. Remember: can't try to have fun, you just do it.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Can one of the mods close this thread for no replies? I don't think it's really working.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Why do we need to make it like the "old days". I don't know what magic the "old days" had, but I don't understand. Did everyone just throw pies and talk in mock swedish? Whatever, I don't want to be in a community where everyone hates the present, let's just discuss, and have fun. It's just like the old muppet days. We can never duplicate the success of TMS, TMM, GMC, and MTM, and we can't make the muppets as popular as before, but we still have TM'11 and MMW along with muppet web series, so we're more than fine without trying to duplicate the old days of TMS and the original muppet movie trilogy. My point is you don't need to go back in a time machine when where we are is good enough.

fozzieisfunny

Reaction score
Why do we need to make it like the "old days". I don't know what magic the "old days" had, but I don't understand. Did everyone just throw pies and talk in mock swedish? Whatever, I don't want to be in a community where everyone hates the present, let's just discuss, and have fun. It's just like the old muppet days. We can never duplicate the success of TMS, TMM, GMC, and MTM, and we can't make the muppets as popular as before, but we still have TM'11 and MMW along with muppet web series, so we're more than fine without trying to duplicate the old days of TMS and the original muppet movie trilogy. My point is you don't need to go back in a time machine when where we are is good enough.
That's the truth. Let's keep it the way it is now, and mods, please close this thing down.

FraggleLover130

Reaction score
I don't want to "make this like the old days"!! We should really stop trying to recreate the past and just try to make the present as good as it can be! (That said, I think this is a great thread, and craziness is wonderful!!) :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Can I chime in here? Well I'm going to anyways...:stick_out_tongue: I'm gonna have to agree with Snowthy and Sarge here a lot of what made the old days good around here was just how the craziness happened out of nowhere. I know I talk about the past a lot around here but if you weren't here in those days it's hard to understand. But for me personally why I miss those days back then is because I had a certain bond with certain members who aren't here anymore. It was just a kind of magic around here that over time fizzled out. Not that that can't happen today but something's just will never be the same. The only ones left that I feel I have any connection to are Snowthy, JV, and yes Sarge! I don't know if Mo Frackle posts here anymore but I also considered him a very good friend of mine cause of the silliness we used to do. Victor was another member but I believe he's since left as well. Even though me and Sarge have had our differences in the past I feel like somehow it made us better friends? :stick_out_tongue: I do still talk to certain members outside the MC community and that's been great but there are also some that have just upped and left. Now that's not to say I haven't appreciated new friends that I've made now.

Hubert is one friend I have missed greatly around here. He helped me get through a lot of good and bad times around here when I felt like I had no one else to talk to. But I know he wanted a break and even had other interests that weren't pertained to MC anymore so I respect him for that.

But like Snowthy said life happens and interests change. I even took a good break from here and only recently came back a few months ago cause of MMW. Honestly if it wasn't for that I doubt I would've came back at all. Most people know but I had a baby last year so a lot of that consumed my time from internet use in general not just MC. Now that my baby is getting older I do have a little more free time. But I would much rather be spending my time with her. Even I'm not the same person that I was back then. I don't really get into the silliness that I did in my early days here. Which to some people here that's probably a blessing. :stick_out_tongue:

I sort of like to compare it to Jim's passing. Those Muppet days will never be able to be replicated. That's not to say you can't have fun now but it will never be quite the same.

Last edited: