The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I agree with you, but I do like the little editorials and "what you never knew" episodes he added. They're a nice break from the traditional reviews.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I can't get into the new episodes, I just can't. NOSTALGIA CRITIC has suffered from both Retool and Halfway Plot Switch.

Reviewing movies that have just recently been released (though apparently Doug's policy is he won't review a movie still in theaters)? Strike 1.

The sudden addition of Drop-In Characters, and a whole cast of them at that? Strike 2.

Changing the format from simply reviewing movies and such to trying to make the reviews more like sketch comedy...

You know what? I still have more on my list of grievences and already that's three strikes against the new NC episodes.

Oh, and please don't get me started on those episodes where the Critic does his reviews from the midsts of fan cons, those are the worst.
The ones that have a "plot" to them bug me. Frankly, I really only watch the ones where the movie itself seems interesting/I've actually seen (Foodfight, Blues Brothers 2000).

I more often check out the Bum Reviews (love those) and Music Movies with Paw; those are great (sometimes too analytical though).

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I enjoy the Nostalgia Critic. Think it's lame how many people attacked him after Robin Williams unfortunate passing because of how many of his movies he reviewed. I'm sorry, but bad movies, like Patch Adams, are still bad movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looks like Doug Walker's site is no more; if you try going to That Guy With the Glasses, you're redirected to Channel Awesome's site... guess Doug either decided to sell out, or perhaps he got absorbed by Channel Awesome, or, whatever.

That said, there's something about Nostalgia Critic that looks different, but I can't quite put my finger on it... maybe it's just age or something, I don't know... Doug's gotta be well into his 30s by now.

Frankly, I really only watch the ones where the movie itself seems interesting/I've actually seen (Foodfight, Blues Brothers 2000).
I'm actually in the same boat as you on that one.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Looks like Doug Walker's site is no more; if you try going to That Guy With the Glasses, you're redirected to Channel Awesome's site... guess Doug either decided to sell out, or perhaps he got absorbed by Channel Awesome, or, whatever.

That said, there's something about Nostalgia Critic that looks different, but I can't quite put my finger on it... maybe it's just age or something, I don't know... Doug's gotta be well into his 30s by now.
He's been working with Channel Awesome since his site launched, so he's not selling out or being absorbed by anyone.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
can i just say channel awesone has a really really awful layout. its not user friendly at all. Or maybe thats just me. Eh.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is because there's so many graphics, between video thumbnails and other graphics they have, it almost gives the site a cluttered and unorganized appearance. I used to be bad about that in the past, wanting to have a lot of graphics and such to make a site look eye-catching and such, but I've learned since then that the fewer graphics you have, not only does the simplicity make your site actually look better, but it certainly cuts down on space and bandwidth from visitors having to load the graphics to view.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I enjoy the Nostalgia Critic. Think it's lame how many people attacked him after Robin Williams unfortunate passing because of how many of his movies he reviewed. I'm sorry, but bad movies, like Patch Adams, are still bad movies.
While I do like that movie, I respect your opinion and agree that just having a n actor who died doesn't make a great movie. I'm not a Michael Jackson fan but that doesn't mean I wanted him dead

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
While I do like that movie, I respect your opinion and agree that just having a n actor who died doesn't make a great movie. I'm not a Michael Jackson fan but that doesn't mean I wanted him dead
And the thing is, he didn't even dislike Robin Williams. He praised him as being a talented comedian and actor, just that a good number of his movies aren't that great.

I've been a fan of the Nostalgia Critic since pre-cancellation, and I actually do like his newer videos. Maybe the added skits (which, come on, aren't usually very long) are an acquired taste, but I personally enjoy them, and like his newer cast members. I also find his editorials interesting (I like the Princess one, and the "What You Never Knew about..." series)

I know I said before I didn't really like him, but I enjoyed his last few reviews. I actually really liked his Heavy Metal review. That face he made when the "melt counter" went back down to 4 was priceless.

I also seriously can't tell if Diamanda Hagan is a dude or a chick. I'm leaning towards dude.
Diamanda Hagan is a woman. Just thought I'd say that, since I don't think anyone else has.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe the added skits (which, come on, aren't usually very long) are an acquired taste
I guess, because I honestly find them distracting and unnecessary... kind of like how in its last few seasons on truTV, WORLD'S DUMBEST... kept adding more and more skits to the point that it went from being a celebrity commentary show to a half-commentary/half-sketch show.

But I'll agree with you on the editorials; I liked the one he did about SEINFELD lying to us about being a show about nothing, especially when compared to Louis C.K.'s show, which really is more-or-less a show about nothing.