The 7D Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sofia the First does have a huge teenage fanbase, most of them who love either Cerdric or Vivian. I also like that show. If Toon Disney still existed they may have aired Sofia on there. Doc McStuffins is also watchable, but at the end, they do ask the audience questions.
I'm just glad the era of loud, slow talking faux-interactive, Dora knockoffs are ending. I'm seeing better and better preschool set shows all the time. Maybe the Dora mode has finally been discredited?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm just glad the era of loud, slow talking faux-interactive, Dora knockoffs are ending. I'm seeing better and better preschool set shows all the time. Maybe the Dora mode has finally been discredited?
I've seen some promos for that Sheriff Callie show, which also sounds somewhat interesting. The lead character is a calico cat holding a traditionally male role, and is voiced by pop star Mandy Moore (who has had some VA experience in the past). Doesn't seem to follow the Dora mode, either, which is always a plus.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It turns out this show has also been airing on the Disney Junior block since December 26. It is kind of a better fit there, to be fair.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It was made with the intention of airing on that block, and you can tell.

I still wonder why they decided it wasn't a right fit, since it goes perfectly with Doc McStuffins and Sophia the First. The show is about problem solving though some episodes it's not as obvious. Sort of like Curious George without too much of an engineering hook.

I really hope to see this catch on as a preschool series. I'm very impressed with the new sharp turn into quality preschool shows have, now that they dropped the Dora mode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm extremely not surprised given the terrible treatment of the show.

Firstly, let's all agree that Disney XD is all but a failure. They put these shows on a strange channel that you have to gert the super gold platinum premium ultra package to even see. That doomed quite a few third party cartoons on the network, especially Doraemon, and I think that's why Phase 5 (or whatever its called) put Yokai Watch on Netflix. That should have been a massive hit, but it's inaccessibility hampered that. For once we'd get a toy based anime that was actually popular in Japan. Disney should have been a lot more firm and put their foot down with cable providers that XD be as accessible and available as the Disney Channel. I think in essence, a girl's crapcom channel and a boy's cartoon and comics based channel were a brilliant idea. But it's one wasted with being lost on a premium package. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what also bit The Hub square on the butt.

I just found out I actually get Disney Jr. but still no XD.

And don't get me started on that hour long block on Disney Channel of XD shows. They've been wasting it the past 3 weeks on some awful prank show. Had their afternoons been cartoon reruns, maybe that would have perked up the ratings.

And secondly, the way the show was treated. It was clearly developed and meant for a Disney Junior release, and there's absolutely nothing objectionable in the series to disclude it from one. But for no reason whatsoever, this educational show that still had the educational bits in it wasn't deemed acceptible for the preschool line up. And thus, the show was too young for the XD crowd but somehow too old for the preschool line up. And I can't even get sore at that because it's not like their preschool programs were even remotely bad at the time. It's just...weird it wasn't included and didn't get the merchandising bonanza other preschool series got. Had it been included, I think it would have succeeded. But it wasn't and it fell into obscurity. I wouldn't doubt dropping it is part of the draconian "we gotta make those ingrate stockholders happy" movements this week.

C to the J

Reaction score
For those who haven't been up to date, new episodes are airing on Saturday mornings. And I can guarantee they won't bore you out of your mind.

So get this: one episode, Bedknobs and Gloomsticks, has a pretty good throwback to that unused scene in which the dwarfs build a bed, especially Dopey's underwear-snipping spree.

It could be a matter of time before we hear KMR sing 'Music in Your Soup' in his Happy voice. :smile:

C to the J

Reaction score
Am I the only one keeping track of the show? We're getting more 7D episodes on Saturdays now.

There's a Monkey in My Hat has a pretty clever reference to the song "Yes! We Have No Bananas," which, mind you, is a song from the 1922 Broadway revue Make It Snappy. It made me think of that early 1960s skit with Kermit the second I saw that sign.

And we got a little 007 spoof in the episode Shapeshifter, where we hear Billy West pull a Sean Connery voice while performing Bashful's new alter ego, Agent Bash. Not only that, we got "Weird Al" Yankovic performing the titular villain (interestingly, he hardly sounds anything like the other characters he performed).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Not only that, we got "Weird Al" Yankovic performing the titular villain (interestingly, he hardly sounds anything like the other characters he performed).
He sounded a bit Tom Kenny-ish to me.