TMS Episode 405: Victor Borge Question

Muppet Master

Reaction score
After watching another TMS episode, I realized a plot hole. Why did the cop take Bobby Benson away? He goes off with the policeman handcuffed, but when he comes back the policeman is nowhere, and Kermit doesn't even ask why he got arrested. On Muppet Wiki it says that it was because Bobby Benson lost a lawsuit with the tooth fairy, but in neither my DVD or several different posts of the episode on Youtube does Bobby Benson point this out. Why did Bobby Benson get arrested?

dwmckim

Reaction score
It was in the episode but the copies you're watching probably come from Nickelodeon's edit of the episode. When they ran the Muppet Show they were given the full episodes and permission to edit them how they wished to fit them for the time they needed to allow for commercials. This allowed for a lot of UK sketches to be seen on American tv for the first time but of course at the expense of other parts. Sometimes they'd take out a full scene; other episodes they'd make minor cuts all throughout the episode. (Others were really bizarre like rearranging the order of scenes in Rita Moreno ep.) The part of Bobby Benson's conversation with Kermit in the final backstage scene where this is mentioned is one of the cuts for that ep.

And speaking of that scene, i always personally felt it was open to interpretation as to if Bobby was being truthful. He basically laughs it off and is a little ambiguous using the tooth fairy line kind of as a punchline. But was that really what happened or is he just diffusing something he doesn't want to talk about with humor. I thought his part in MMW was quite ingenious because especially due to this ep and that exchange, there was this implied shady side to his character and offstage life and thought it quite clever how they incorporated it. Some Muppet fans were shocked but others who reminded that ep considered it a nifty quasi Easter egg.

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It was in the episode but the copies you're watching probably come from Nickelodeon's edit of the episode. When they ran the Muppet Show they were given the full episodes and permission to edit them how they wished to fit them for the time they needed to allow for commercials. This allowed for a lot of UK sketches to be seen on American tv for the first time but of course at the expense of other parts. Sometimes they'd take out a full scene; other episodes they'd make minor cuts all throughout the episode. (Others were really bizarre like rearranging the order of scenes in Rita Moreno ep.) The part of Bobby Benson's conversation with Kermit in the final backstage scene where this is mentioned is one of the cuts for that ep.

And speaking of that scene, i always personally felt it was open to interpretation as to if Bobby was being truthful. He basically laughs it off and is a little ambiguous using the tooth fairy line kind of as a punchline. But was that really what happened or is he just diffusing something he doesn't want to talk about with humor. I thought his part in MMW was quite ingenious because especially due to this ep and that exchange, there was this implied shady side to his character and offstage life and thought it quite clever how they incorporated it. Some Muppet fans were shocked but others who reminded that ep considered it a nifty quasi Easter egg.
Thanks for the anwser, and yes before this episode I did not really care for Bobby Benson, and felt he was not among one of my favorite characters, but that episode made me see him in a new light. I am sure I was not the only one on the edge of my seat thinking that when Bobby Benson got arrestted it was because he was a (********). I thought, would Jim Henson really use that, I mean would he go that far, it is only a family show, though thanks for clearing that up. Though, is there a version on Youtube that has the scene in it? I could not find it.