Very Interesting Sesame Street resource film on the Wiki

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was just sifting through Muppet Wiki, and I found this...

Developing Self Esteem that was apparently distributed on filmstrips for classrooms.

Tell me that's not an amazing little curiosity in Sesame Street media. Sesame Street on film is amazing enough. I really wish they showed filmstrips like that when I was in school. of course, that was like the tail end of that sort of thing, as VCR's were widely available by the time I was in second grade. In fact, I only remember seeing a couple filmstrips... one was with Meadowlark Lemon! And that one was pretty old.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I was just sifting through Muppet Wiki, and I found this...

Developing Self Esteem that was apparently distributed on filmstrips for classrooms.

Tell me that's not an amazing little curiosity in Sesame Street media. Sesame Street on film is amazing enough. I really wish they showed filmstrips like that when I was in school. of course, that was like the tail end of that sort of thing, as VCR's were widely available by the time I was in second grade. In fact, I only remember seeing a couple filmstrips... one was with Meadowlark Lemon! And that one was pretty old.
When I was in fifth grade (2000-2001), one of my science teachers still showed us her old filmstrips, even though it seemed like the projector was going to break down in the middle of class. We even had computers in every classroom by then and she still held on to those antiquated filmstrips.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really wish they showed filmstrips like that when I was in school. of course, that was like the tail end of that sort of thing, as VCR's were widely available by the time I was in second grade.
When I was in the second grade (1991-1992) they showed some film strips of The Rescuers and The Fox and the Hound. I'm guessing those were Super 8 films, unless they actually sold film copies (or if the teachers were lucky enough to get a full film copy). Watching those in the classroom was the first I remembered hearing about those films (I hadn't known that The Rescuers Down Under was a sequel... In fact I recall not even knowing about The Rescuers Down Under until I was taken to see it in the theaters, mishearing it as "The Wrestlers Down Under"). It wasn't until I read about Disney's Super 8 releases that I knew they weren't the full film, and then remembered that I don't recall seeing the full movies back then, feeling like for years I somehow came into the classroom after the movies began. And this was before either movie was available on home video.

When I was in fifth grade (2000-2001), one of my science teachers still showed us her old filmstrips, even though it seemed like the projector was going to break down in the middle of class. We even had computers in every classroom by then and she still held on to those antiquated filmstrips.
This reminds me of a science class I took in tenth grade (1999-2000) where we occasionally got to watch things on laserdisc. And this was when the format was dying, if not dead (and a few years after I had heard of the concept).

Back to the subject of Sesame Street film strips, I wonder if there were more. I noticed that the full title is "The Best of Sesame Street: Developing Self-Esteem". I wonder if there were more "Best of Sesame Street" film strips sent to schools.

And I'm surprised that this one doesn't have Bein' Green or Proud of Me. Or I Am Proud of Me, or Being a Pig, or My Pollywog Ways, or If I Were....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Noticed that the "part 5" film is just one segment, and one not previously mentioned on the wiki (and, I assume, not online). I wonder if that's a long segment.

I hope that whoever ends up purchasing this puts the stuff we didn't previously know about on YouTube or DailyMotion or somewhere (the wiki member who started the page mentioned that it's too much for him to buy).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I remember, I think I did see at least one or two filmstrips in middle school... well out of date, obviously. Though the most hilariously out of date thing I saw was a health class video tape that I can't go into as what was so dated isn't appropriate for this site. Though I will mention that it involved tight jeans. Yeah, they came back, sure... just not then currently.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks for posting that. I also grew up watching 16mm films. I saw a number of movies at church in that format (I particularly remember the classic 1979 "Jesus" movie- still the best movie version of the life, death and Resurrection of Christ in my opinion.:smile:)
Of course, the first VCR my family had was a Betamax- I remember when the VHS section of the video rental store was just a small section- and then VHS took over Betamax altogether. And of course, it sounds funny to think about now, since DVD has since surpassed VCR (after a bout with HD-DVD discs), and Blu-Ray seems to be surpassing DVD- and of course, more than likely, soon everything will be digital.
Oh well- I still like all the old technologies. I don't recall watching any CEDs but I do recall watching LaserDiscs in school for science class. I remember thinking- Wow! That's a HUGE CD!:wink: - that was my first introduction to LaserDiscs.
Yep- good memories. I love both keeping up with technology and remembering earlier ones.:confused::eek::electric: