The Steven Universe thread

Mr Snrub

Reaction score
Anyone actually able to find the first issue of KaBoom's Steven Universe series?
Yep. Haven't read it yet, but from what I can see (at least for issue 1), it doesn't do the pointless multi-issue story the RS (and possibly the AT one too. I love the show and have most of the comics, but I've just never read them) comic often does.

Slightly off-topic, but still on the subject of comics based on CN shows, how does Clarence not have a comic yet?

Drtooth

Reaction score
My local place didn't carry it, or only got in one issue or something. I heard it has a zine format with multiple short stories.

Honestly, if there's any comic that should have multi-part arcs, it's this series... but I think they're trying to play it safe so as not to step on any of the show's continuity. And while I didn't mind the RS ones, the last one was really stretched out due to the formatting. It looked lovely, but read in 2 minutes. Didn't help that it was plagued by multiple delays. AT at least manages its multi-issue story arcs better.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nicki Minaj wasn't too bad voicing Sugilite, the monstrous fusion of Amethyst and Garnet. And I loved Pearl and Steven's musical number, which really demonstrates Deedee Magno's singing abilities. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually thought that was Garnet's voice actress doing an impersonation of Amethyst. I really hope to see Garnet and Pearl fuse in a future episode. Sugillate being a force of unbridled destruction, and an actual danger to both Garnet and Amethyst while in fusion mode seems like a great concept that will hopefully pop up in another episode. Loved how frightening she was.

And it was nice to have that Broadway-esque number in the middle of the show. We've seen Steven's noodling songs from time to time. It's great to see other characters singing for a change.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Actually thought that was Garnet's voice actress doing an impersonation of Amethyst. I really hope to see Garnet and Pearl fuse in a future episode. Sugillate being a force of unbridled destruction, and an actual danger to both Garnet and Amethyst while in fusion mode seems like a great concept that will hopefully pop up in another episode. Loved how frightening she was.
Pearl clearly kept Amethyst's impulsiveness in check when she fused with her to make Opal, and I'm sure she'll do the same for Garnet with the next transformation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like the gems all bring something specific when they merge.

Garnet is strength, Pearl is balance and grace, Amethyst seems to exhibit a some sort of strong will and deviousness. So, I'd guess that Pearl/Garnet would be gracefully strong?

Anyway, actually found a copy of the comic book today. Short stories in different styles. Sounds pretty good. Though, honestly, I want it for the Uncle Grandpa preview.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Nice job referencing that cheesy Wendy's employee training video from the '80s. Look it up on YouTube and you'll know what I'm talking about. :big_grin:

And apparently Steven knows nothing about VHS despite owning at least one Japanese movie on the format in a past episode. Boy, that blow to the face from Sugilite must have really taken a toll on his memory. :smirk:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Very interesting to see an episode without the Crystal Gems, other than Amethyst's brief role at the beginning and her uselessness at the end. Also nice to see that Lars was that accepted by the Cool Kids from that other episode, not to mention the strange relationship he has with that co-worker... or his coworker has with him.

Can't wait for the cloned Steven episode next week.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I still think Sadie could do better, whatever the nature of her relationship with Lars.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else find Steven's pompadour in the latest episode adorable? :big_grin:

Also, great to see Onion's dad again. Hopefully he got to spend enough quality time with his son along the way.