On Writing Fan Fiction (Rules & Advice)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Sounds fine to me, but I am the worlds worst at telling people what should and should not be posted.

fictionalnice

Reaction score
thanks! I'll post the first chapter and see what people thinks. I am open to constructive criticism.

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Do the posts on this forum have a word limit? Me and AnimatedC9000 have written a one-shot fic that has ended up with a word count of 7,714. I just wanted to know before one of us puts it up (we'd prefer to post it in one go rather than in parts).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I believe the word count limit for posts posted here is set at 10000, however I'm unsure as I had to divide the new 2014 FLI thread into thread separate posts. So go ahead and post and see what happens. Worst comes to worst I can always merge the story posts for you in the end.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm just asking for your collective opinion, I'm working on a fan-fic and I'm considering doing another Bobo or Uncle Deadly or another character like that as the villain's henchman. This strategy worked pretty well in The Muppets and in Muppets From Space (in my opinion, the Bobo/Jeffrey Tambor scenes were the best part of MFS).

Do you think it's overdone? or would you still love to hear more stories with that element?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm just asking for your collective opinion, I'm working on a fan-fic and I'm considering doing another Bobo or Uncle Deadly or another character like that as the villain's henchman. This strategy worked pretty well in The Muppets and in Muppets From Space (in my opinion, the Bobo/Jeffrey Tambor scenes were the best part of MFS).

Do you think it's overdone? or would you still love to hear more stories with that element?
Go for it! If you have a funny scenario to stick the characters in, then definitely write it.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Go for it! If you have a funny scenario to stick the characters in, then definitely write it.
Thanks! I've had bits and pieces of an idea floating around my head for years, and now i'm trying to put together a decent outline. It'll be a while before its ready, but my goal is to share it in October.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I'm getting closer guys! I've been able to piece together more of my story and iron out the details/dialogue/etc. I'm still aiming for releasing it in early October. I don't want to give anything away, but a big theme of my fanfic is showing unusual character pairings that we haven't seen on screen.

Harleena

Reaction score
…or even Muppets accepting the Christian faith. I am Christian, but I cannot condone Muppet characters doing something they wouldn’t do in a movie or any other media.
What about the Christmas films though? I understand why you shouldn't make it a major point in your story, though.

That said, I don't think there's much cause for worry about Mary Sues in this fandom, at least where the authors at this board are concerned :wink:
Although it does have a ton of self-inserts. And these self-inserts are often Mary Sues who join the Muppets, wow the Electric Mayhem with their gorgeous singing voice, become Janice's BFF, and end up dating one of the available members (Zoot seems to be the most popular, but there's probably only like 9 Electric Mayhem fangirls in existence). I actually created an OC, but I made her to specifically not be a self-insert. I ran her by my sister, and she said that my character was okay. I'm just saying, if your name is Rebecca, don't name your character Rebecca. And slightly changing it doesn't count.
Random Guy: SHE'S GOT A HETALIA OC NAMED HARLEY!
Me: IT'S SHORT FOR CHARLOTTE!!!!! AND NO ONE EVEN CALLS ME HARLEY! Yeah, but anyway, that OC is clumsy and awkward (not in the cute way, but in the clumsy and awkward way), and some characters even describe her as "weird".