Is Frozen overrated?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I think that Frozen was overrated, BUT still good.

I'm not going to automatically dislike the movie just because of all the hype. It was a cute story, had good music, and funny characters (Olaf stole the show IMO). That being said, I wasn't "blown away" by it and I think the thousands of people doing "Let it Go" covers is a little much.

I think that in a few years, once Hollywood has given us a few more movies for people to freak out about, Frozen will fall into its rightful place as a Disney classic that we hear about when we choose to watch it instead of being bombarded with it from every angle.

WemblinFool18

Reaction score
I think we're past the storm of it all, but in general, YES. I think it's overrated. By no means do I think it's bad, but I have found a lot of problems with it. In fact, I think people's fanfictions etc. are better than the movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd expect more Ralph merchandise next time around. The thing is, I don't think they predicted much demand for the Disney-owned characters in the film. Or at least, not yet. They'll already have a fanbase with the sequel. Being that it's kind of the Roger Rabbit or the game world, it deserves more respect.
Most of the Disney Store merchandising of WIR zoomed out of stores the second they came in. The Candy Rush toys were played up too much, and those didn't sell as much. But Ralph and Felix things never managed to stay in stores long. They were never restocked, and the rest of the line went on clearance. A shame, since the figure sets were beautiful. I'm sure outside merchandise played a role, but the only thing available was Thinkway's well overpriced line. Luckily, Funkco released Pop figures at general retail and put Ralph in their latest assortment of Blind Box Disney figures.

I'm not sure if Merida is gay or straight or anything else and I like that they never defined it. The point I believe that they were trying to make is that it isn't important.
Nice points about the movie, but not the one I was making. It's just annoying that the one time we have a Disney Princess that doesn't follow the mold, some creeps say "lesbian" because she wasn't head over heals in love with a guy enough to put herself in mortal danger. There's a weird line between princess character and strong female lead character, and that's a very hard balance that will get criticism from either side one way or another. You can't have an action girl, that's somehow considered offensive, you can't give them flaws, that's offensive. It's hard to make a good female character. Not impossible, but we need writers who are both willing to listen to what women want to see in a character and also realizing they can't please everybody.

That said, I've never been wild about princesses. The Disney princess brand struck hard. I read that's why some character in the MLP:FIM was made into a Princess instead of a queen, when queen makes more sense in context. Girls still love their princesses, and Disney's movies are the reason. Then I saw this ad for Adventure Time...

It's nice to know there are those who are willing to change that.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Most of the Disney Store merchandising of WIR zoomed out of stores the second they came in. The Candy Rush toys were played up too much, and those didn't sell as much. But Ralph and Felix things never managed to stay in stores long. They were never restocked, and the rest of the line went on clearance. A shame, since the figure sets were beautiful. I'm sure outside merchandise played a role, but the only thing available was Thinkway's well overpriced line. Luckily, Funkco released Pop figures at general retail and put Ralph in their latest assortment of Blind Box Disney figures.

Nice points about the movie, but not the one I was making. It's just annoying that the one time we have a Disney Princess that doesn't follow the mold, some creeps say "lesbian" because she wasn't head over heals in love with a guy enough to put herself in mortal danger. There's a weird line between princess character and strong female lead character, and that's a very hard balance that will get criticism from either side one way or another. You can't have an action girl, that's somehow considered offensive, you can't give them flaws, that's offensive. It's hard to make a good female character. Not impossible, but we need writers who are both willing to listen to what women want to see in a character and also realizing they can't please everybody.

That said, I've never been wild about princesses. The Disney princess brand struck hard. I read that's why some character in the MLP:FIM was made into a Princess instead of a queen, when queen makes more sense in context. Girls still love their princesses, and Disney's movies are the reason. Then I saw this ad for Adventure Time...

It's nice to know there are those who are willing to change that.
There's a section of conservative America that still wants "boys to act like boys and girls to act like girls." This was evidenced last night when I was channel surfing and stumbled on Fox News' Bill O'Reilly talking about the teenager who was told to take of his makeup for his DMV photos. His claim was that,"If he's a boy, he should look like one in his photo." While many DMV representatives will reject an applicant with too much makeup or anything that significantly alters their appearance, the teenager was wearing a slight and tasteful amount of eyeliner, mascara and foundation. If he wears it all the time, then that's how he should look in his ID. I don't know if he's LGBT or what and that doesn't really matter. The fact that bigots still exist in prime time astounds me. So yeah, Brave is really, well, brave for creating a character like Merida. I get your point completely.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There's a section of conservative America that still wants "boys to act like boys and girls to act like girls." This was evidenced last night when I was channel surfing and stumbled on Fox News' Bill O'Reilly talking about the teenager who was told to take of his makeup for his DMV photos. His claim was that,"If he's a boy, he should look like one in his photo." While many DMV representatives will reject an applicant with too much makeup or anything that significantly alters their appearance, the teenager was wearing a slight and tasteful amount of eyeliner, mascara and foundation. If he wears it all the time, then that's how he should look in his ID. I don't know if he's LGBT or what and that doesn't really matter. The fact that bigots still exist in prime time astounds me. So yeah, Brave is really, well, brave for creating a character like Merida. I get your point completely.
Oh I know, O'Reilly was really nasty about it last night. So unnecessary.

Liberals also used to be a bit mocking of LGBT issues in pop culture (see the original MASH film). But Stonewall was also happening around that time; things have changed a lot in society. O'Reilly just sounded very 50s and needlessly cruel. Like a father who says, "Get your haircut, young lady!" to his son. Like you said, we don't know if the boy is gay, but the point still stands.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Oh I know, O'Reilly was really nasty about it last night. So unnecessary.

Liberals also used to be a bit mocking of LGBT issues in pop culture (see the original MASH film). But Stonewall was also happening around that time; things have changed a lot in society. O'Reilly just sounded very 50s and needlessly cruel. Like a father who says, "Get your haircut, young lady!" to his son. Like you said, we don't know if the boy is gay, but the point still stands.
Exactly. He has some kids book that talks about bullies, yet he spends a lot of time making fun of the trans community. It's incredible how he doesn't see the hypocrisy. I understand not everybody is comfortable with everything, but making fun of others because of it is childish. He actually says something reasonable about LGBT issues sometimes, but always reverts to this sort of bigotry. :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Exactly. He has some kids book that talks about bullies, yet he spends a lot of time making fun of the trans community. It's incredible how he doesn't see the hypocrisy. I understand not everybody is comfortable with everything, but making fun of others because of it is childish. He actually says something reasonable about LGBT issues sometimes, but always reverts to this sort of bigotry. :frown:
Well as a woman, I reserve the right to make the very mature statement that O'Reilly's just being a guy. :wink:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well as a woman, I reserve the right to make the very mature statement that O'Reilly's just being a guy. :wink:
Ha! I know you're joking, but I've always taken exception to such phrases. What is a guy? What is a woman? And who made these arbitrary standards? It's still a taboo for a woman to be the breadwinner while her husband stays home with the kids. I don't know why that is. There is no more important job than raising a family and shaping young minds to be confident and to show them love and compassion.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ha! I know you're joking, but I've always taken exception to such phrases. What is a guy? What is a woman? And who made these arbitrary standards? It's still a taboo for a woman to be the breadwinner while her husband stays home with the kids. I don't know why that is. There is no more important job than raising a family and shaping young minds to be confident and to show them love and compassion.
Lol, well it's just something girls say when they don't understand why guys do something. I think it starts the first time your mom reads you "Berenstain Bears - No Girls Allowed." :wink:

Because remember, O'Reilly was also implying there's something laughable about a guy acting like a girl. God forbid, lol. Girls have to deal with that kind of mocking their whole lives.

I think a lot of guys would love to stay home more; their jobs just aren't very flexible, which is quite frustrating. Plus today both parents often need to work. Then of course there are also guys who feel they wouldn't be responsible unless they're the bread winner. Which is silly, but at least they care I guess, lol.

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Lol, well it's just something girls say when they don't understand why guys do something. I think it starts the first time your mom reads you "Berenstain Bears - No Girls Allowed." :wink:

Because remember, O'Reilly was also implying there's something laughable about a guy acting like a girl. God forbid, lol. Girls have to deal with that kind of mocking their whole lives.

I think a lot of guys would love to stay home more; their jobs just aren't very flexible, which is quite frustrating. Plus today both parents often need to work. Then of course there are also guys who feel they wouldn't be responsible unless they're the bread winner. Which is silly, but at least they care I guess, lol.
Also, back on to Frozen. Aside from Snow White's Evil Queen, when was the last time a woman ran a kingdom in a Disney film? In fact, a lot of Disney films have a history of making powerful women the bad guys. Wonderfully so, but still, that's kind of problematic.