Is Frozen overrated?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Also, back on to Frozen. Aside from Snow White's Evil Queen, when was the last time a woman ran a kingdom in a Disney film? In fact, a lot of Disney films have a history of making powerful women the bad guys. Wonderfully so, but still, that's kind of problematic.
Yeah there's a reason why people make fun of Disney's dead mother syndrome, lol. Technically Aurora's mom rules the kingdom, even if it's also with the king.

On the one hand I don't mind movies like Snow White or Cinderella because to be blunt I know what's it's like to be a young woman bullied by older women in authority, lol. I literally still cry when Cinderella begs the stepmother to unlock the door. Women can be uniquely nasty to each other. But yeah there are also great female leaders and it is about time Disney changed it up a bit. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a section of conservative America that still wants "boys to act like boys and girls to act like girls." This was evidenced last night when I was channel surfing and stumbled on Fox News' Bill O'Reilly talking about the teenager who was told to take of his makeup for his DMV photos. His claim was that,"If he's a boy, he should look like one in his photo." While many DMV representatives will reject an applicant with too much makeup or anything that significantly alters their appearance, the teenager was wearing a slight and tasteful amount of eyeliner, mascara and foundation. If he wears it all the time, then that's how he should look in his ID. I don't know if he's LGBT or what and that doesn't really matter.

[political rant] Doesn't seem the least bit out of character for O'Reilly. Seems that he's still pandering to the old, angry shut ins that think any sign of societal change on any level, no matter how small, as some sort of slide into Sodom and Gomorrah. As in the whole "things were better in my day," which really means "I'm secretly scared of how old I am." Therefore, remain scared and angry and don't let progressive thought and politics continue to spread. I'm glad that influence is starting to fade, but it's still out there. But keeping them angry is what the entire network's about, as it gives them political influence and ratings.[/political rant]

So yeah, Brave is really, well, brave for creating a character like Merida. I get your point completely.
The film was well meaning. And I also applaud it for Pixar breaking out of their comfort zone of "cute thing, preferably one that shouldn't talk, learns a lesson." The film could have been much better if it wasn't for internal politics, but I like what they were trying to do.

Also, back on to Frozen. Aside from Snow White's Evil Queen, when was the last time a woman ran a kingdom in a Disney film? In fact, a lot of Disney films have a history of making powerful women the bad guys. Wonderfully so, but still, that's kind of problematic.
Depends on how many of them had Kingdoms and regal figures that were part of the story. They haven't done that sort of fairy tale since Beauty and the Beast (didn't see Tangled, so I don't really know). While not entirely related to the conversation, I really wish they had time in the film version to officially state that Ursula was Triton's sister. They supposedly bring that back for the musical. It added a level of sibling rivalry in what would otherwise be just a megalomaniac sea witch.

Actually... getting semi-related to the topic... there was a huge push a while ago (seems to have died down) for a plus sized Disney princess. Now, I don't know how that would work, she'd probably be curvy, sure, but it seems no one can agree to what plus sized really is. At least on the scale of voluptuous to fat. Then I remembered something I read that really puts out this fire. Broadway from Gargoyles was originally supposed to be a female character, but Disney refused to have an overweight female protagonist. And I actually haven't seen one until Amethyst in Steven Universe. And good for Steven Universe for that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Doesn't seem the least bit out of character for O'Reilly.
I honestly don't think O'Reilly saw it as a gay issue. He was being your teasing, macho dad that ridicules his sensitive son for reading poetry. Everyone has that guy in their family. Yes, it would be great if people were nicer in general in society, but I'm not going to force people to walk on egg shells around me either. A better world doesn't come from "silencing" the annoying people. It comes when we learn to walk away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
He's more like the drunk uncle that says inappropriate things at holiday gatherings that no one in their right mind would want to talk to. Whether what he said was in jest or to incite a bunch of backwards thinking angry old people doesn't matter. People actually listened to that and took it at face value.

So yeah, I agree. Ignoring jerkwad pundits like him is the best option. He'll run out of an audience in time, just not soon enough.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I honestly don't think O'Reilly saw it as a gay issue. He was being your teasing, macho dad that ridicules his sensitive son for reading poetry. Everyone has that guy in their family. Yes, it would be great if people were nicer in general in society, but I'm not going to force people to walk on egg shells around me either. A better world doesn't come from "silencing" the annoying people. It comes when we learn to walk away.
I don't count it as silencing as much as pointing out his bullying - particularly since Bill-O wrote a kids book addressing the issue. He has harsh words for bullies and explains why they do what they do and then proceeds to be one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't count it as silencing as much as pointing out his bullying - particularly since Bill-O wrote a kids book addressing the issue. He has harsh words for bullies and explains why they do what they do and then proceeds to be one.
What bothers me is that his audience loves how he's a bully yet calls everyone who disagrees with him a bully. And the worst part is, there are far worse people associated with that channel.

Speaking of an overrated and popular film (also a fad)), a woman is suing this movie.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09...ally-insane-2294934?lt_source=external,manual
That always happens when a movie's successful. And usually it's based on coincidence. This is based on a woman who has mental problems. I mean, there's a story where Steven Tyler was so incredibly high (or drunk, or whatever) he was paranoid enough to think that Spinal Tap was really about Aerosmith. THAT was much more reasonable. This woman needs help, not a lawsuit.

Speaking of overrated films, I'm going to say what I said in another thread. The most overrated film of the last few years is Rio. Just Rio... it was a meh film that got a terrible sequel. Even fans of the first movie hate the second.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Speaking of an overrated and popular film (also a fad)), a woman is suing this movie.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09...ally-insane-2294934?lt_source=external,manual
This reminds me of Nancy Stouffer, the nutjob who claimed that Rowling had plagiarized her dreadful works for her Harry Potter series. Out of curiosity I bought the book (a penny plus shipping on Amazon) and found it so badly written I couldn't finish it. The ruling on her lawsuit, on the other hand, was very interesting, even amusing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's also similar to Mr. Ray the awful kid's musician suing over Finding Nemo's character. That character's songs were better anyway. Then of course Monsters Inc's lawsuit with a not at all known book about monsters with children under their beds... as if flipping that concept was the greatest artistic achievement of all time that no one could have though of themselves... even though it was a completely different case than what happened in the movie anyway.

Those kinds of suits happen all the time. Though you wonder why the Osamu Tetzuka estate didn't sue for The Lion King (though, frankly, the similarities are there, just not as prevalent as everyone says it is... Kimba has humans in it) or Gainax over Atlantis (though, to be fair, the writers of that would have had to been present at some basement/A.V. room anime club to have heard of Nadia).

But the Frozen case is special... this woman thinks they plagiarized her life. They have those "this is a work of fiction and any resemblance to real people, living or dead, are coincidental" disclaimers for that reason. Any idiot can come up and say "that happened to me! I'll sue you!" if they can come up with a thin parallel. But this is a sign of mental problems. She's claiming that a work of pure fiction (featuring someone with magic ice powers) is ripping off her autobiography, tantamount to having a blurred line between reality and fiction. Even if it's a parallel to just the sister relationship in the movie, that's kind of creepy and paranoid.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This is interesting: WatchMojo has Frozen in their list of best 2013 movies and best animated movies of the 2010s', but they also have it in their list of overrated movies.