The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the 1985 movie Fright Night, at one point one of the main characters points out that nobody cares about vampire movies anymore. Not only have vampire movies gained in popularity in the past few years, but this movie came out the same year as another vampire movie, Once Bitten. I get the feeling that both movies are equally popular, though I'm not fully sure (I know that Once Bitten did poorly in theaters and probably wasn't well-known until Jim Carrey became a star, but don't know for sure whether Fright Night initially did poorly).

Not sure if this was done on purpose or not, but on The Wonder Years, Kevin's first days of both junior and senior high school include scenes where he sees an attractive girl a few lockers down from his own, only for something to get in the way of them (in the first episode, where the scene is often cut in syndication, he accidentally opens the locker door on his head and then gets cut-off from a mean student hiding drugs in his locker, in the other they seem to get close to meeting only for an annoying former classmate to get in the way and talk to Kevin).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Vampires don't have reflections, but is that enough for their clothes to not have reflections? I would think maybe their outfits would show up in the mirror, but they don't. So maybe it's too difficult a film trick (though it'd probably be easier to do today). Maybe clothes loses its reflection when worn enough by vampires (hmm, so if I decided to buy some used clothes from a vampire and looked in the mirror, would I appear naked?).

And most vampires lack beards (does this mean that The Count is not a vampire?), must be difficult to shave when they don't have reflections. Okay, so this I saw pointed out on The Red Green Show. Hmm, but would vampires show up on video monitors/cell phone cameras switched to them? That would be a way to get them shaven.

In the recent Simpsons Guy episode of Family Guy, Homer says that Pawtucket beer tastes like Duff but is worse, but then it's revealed that it actually is Duff, only with its label over the Duff label. So what Homer thought was like Duff but worse actually was Duff....? Could it be that he just thought it was worse just because he thought it wasn't Duff?

Harleena

Reaction score
In Disney World, just about every character has someome representing them in a walkaround costume- Mickey, Goofy, Buzz Lightyear, etc., even Mater. But no Bambi.
I don't think that they have the Crocodile either (YOU KNEW I WOULD!)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In the 1985 movie Fright Night, at one point one of the main characters points out that nobody cares about vampire movies anymore. Not only have vampire movies gained in popularity in the past few years, but this movie came out the same year as another vampire movie, Once Bitten. I get the feeling that both movies are equally popular, though I'm not fully sure (I know that Once Bitten did poorly in theaters and probably wasn't well-known until Jim Carrey became a star, but don't know for sure whether Fright Night initially did poorly).
Yeah it's funny how trends come and go. In the '80s, slasher baddies like Freddy and Jason were all the rage. Now vampires are back in the spotlight (painful for them I'm sure! :wink: )

Harleena

Reaction score
They're called the Teletubbies because they have televisions in their tummies.
This scene has lied to me for years.
I literally just realized like last year that it's Chuck E. Cheese's, not Chucky Cheese's. Also, the "E" stands for Entertainment.
Floyd Pepper is pink. Therefore, he is a Pink Floyd (I knew that for a while)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that everyone's referencing The Warriors a lot lately? To wit:

Regular Show
Black Dynamite (whole plot reference)
American Dad
Amazing World of Gumball...

There's another I'm thinking of, but I can't rightly remember... and with the exception of Regular Show, they've all been within weeks of each other. Weird.

Also, watched Modern Family and was delighted to find out the Male Nanny the Pritcherds hired to take care of their youngest child is... Pizza Steve! Makes me feel bad for not liking the character earlier.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that everyone's referencing The Warriors a lot lately? To wit:

Regular Show
Black Dynamite (whole plot reference)
American Dad
Amazing World of Gumball...

There's another I'm thinking of, but I can't rightly remember... and with the exception of Regular Show, they've all been within weeks of each other. Weird.

Also, watched Modern Family and was delighted to find out the Male Nanny the Pritcherds hired to take care of their youngest child is... Pizza Steve! Makes me feel bad for not liking the character earlier.
Maybe the writers were all spying on one another. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
THAT's the one I was trying to remember. The Simpsons did a partial plot parody of it as well, but months before someone else (except Regular Show). Just very weird that all the sudden that movie gets referenced that much. To be fair, American Dad and Gumball only referenced the "Warriors, come out and play" bottle clinking.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In an early episode of How I Met Your Mother, one of the kids remarks that Ted and his friends went to bars a lot, and future Ted says that that's what people did back then. For years, I thought that conversation was meant to signify that in the future, people don't care about going to bars as much as they do now or in the past (with bars going the way of discotheques, arcades, and video stores), but something just now occurred to me: Ted had probably told his kids not to drink yet constantly talks about going to bars in his story and the kids are calling him out on being hypocritical.

After watching Home Alone quite a bit this past month, I've noticed that the mother says that their relatives in Paris recently relocated there. And in Home Alone 2, Kevin has an uncle who lives in New York but was out of the country, I believe in Paris. All this time I thought his uncle was simply on vacation, but then again, Kevin was aware that that uncle was away (though upon learning that his uncle lived in New York, Kevin contemplated stopping by when his uncle got back, as if he knew/expected him to come back soon). But could the New York uncle also be one of the relatives who lived in Paris in the first movie? And until watching deleted scenes online, I hadn't realized that we barely get to see any of the Paris family in the first movie (I had pointed out in another thread that we don't really get to know much of the family, though the story needed there to be a lot of relatives, meaning too many characters to really develop in a two-hour movie).

And in the Batman movies (the Joel Schumacker ones), The Riddler and Poison Ivy are very similar. They are both red heads who wear a lot of green, they both start out as nerdy characters working for companies owned by Bruce Wayne, and both turned out the (villainous) way they did because Bruce turned down things that they wanted him to fund. Of course with The Riddler, Bruce could have approved of his invention, but wanted to set up an interview and the Riddler didn't want to wait. Also, with The Riddler, he was a big fan of Bruce Wayne (to the point of stalking) who snapped over this rejection, while Poison Ivy wasn't, and Poison Ivy already had her powers before pitching her environmental plan to Bruce, while the Riddler didn't have his Riddler identity yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For a long time, I thought it was odd that the first Super Mario Kart included Donkey Kong Jr. but not Donkey Kong, while the others did feature Donkey Kong but not Donkey Kong Jr. (who seemed to have disappeared when Donkey Kong was revived). But then a year ago I read that the Donkey Kong featured in the Donkey Kong Country series and various Mario games that came out since was actually Donkey Kong Jr., with the "Jr." left out. And only now has it occurred to me that with that in mind Donkey Kong Jr. is in all of the Mario Kart games.