Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, this is th icing on the cake this year: egg nog is in stores already.

When has egg nog ever been out this early?

I mean I like egg nog and all (and people, just because it has egg in it doesn't mean it's going to kill you, and it's not alcoholic, people just mix alcohol in it 'cause they're alchies), but, like, it's usually shortly before Thanksgiving when they start putting it out, and here it is still a month before Halloween!

Muppet Master

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ugh... like I said... the Dock Worker's contracts expire just before Christmas, and there's likely to be a strike. That would be a major blow to the retailers, and don't ask me why they can't pressure the shipping companies because that defies all Earthly logic. So we're going to see the Christmas stuff a little earlier.

Older members of this site remember that was a big reason for a delay in the release of Muppet action figures.

Slackbot

Reaction score
CHristmas started in August for me. When my friend came over for Deagoncon the Monday before Labor Day, she brought me the Hallmark Gonzo Christmas ornament. It went right on my dining room table ... with the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree and the Leg Lamp ornament that have been there since last Christmas.

Me, I like the Halloween season more than Xmas. It has more pizzazz. I love to see my apps skinned out all spooky during October. I even bought a Halloween wig at Kroger last week. Not that I plan to wear a cheap wig like that, but it was glow in the dark. I love glow in the dark stuff! If I could find glow in the dark cloth I'd make an entire new wardrobe.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Eh, I'm done griping about how early it is - I just bought my first candy corn of the season! :halo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit that I get baaaaad seasonal depression disorder (or whatever it's called) as soon as summer ends. When they make the transition from lemon-aid and Ice cream flavored stuff to pumpkin, I'm usually not too happy about it. Then again, it was mostly last year when a certain donut franchise stopped their amazing lemon-aid donut (and I usually dislike Lemon donuts, mind you) for the standard pumpkin flavored everything.

Though, I'm usually happy to find out that the Count Choculas are back in stock.

But they always edge out the Halloween stuff as fast as they can, even before Halloween to get the Christmas stuff out. Then everything has to be peppermint because seriously, they cannot find a suitable other Christmassy flavor. Yeah, maybe like one egg nog flavored thing if you're lucky. Fall has pumpkin and apple and maybe even things that aren't candy corn flavored like candy corn and candy corn flavored like anything that isn't candy corn. Christmas has mint. Just mint.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Did you make sure it was fastened correctly, or did you accidentally put the heavier ornaments on one side? Both tend to happen from time to time.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I have to admit that I get baaaaad seasonal depression disorder (or whatever it's called) as soon as summer ends. When they make the transition from lemon-aid and Ice cream flavored stuff to pumpkin, I'm usually not too happy about it. Then again, it was mostly last year when a certain donut franchise stopped their amazing lemon-aid donut (and I usually dislike Lemon donuts, mind you) for the standard pumpkin flavored everything.

Though, I'm usually happy to find out that the Count Choculas are back in stock.

But they always edge out the Halloween stuff as fast as they can, even before Halloween to get the Christmas stuff out. Then everything has to be peppermint because seriously, they cannot find a suitable other Christmassy flavor. Yeah, maybe like one egg nog flavored thing if you're lucky. Fall has pumpkin and apple and maybe even things that aren't candy corn flavored like candy corn and candy corn flavored like anything that isn't candy corn. Christmas has mint. Just mint.
One notable exception, at this time of year we get to see Terry's chocolate oranges. Orange-infused chocolate is a nice alternative to peppermint overkill.

It's nice the candy companies make candy canes in other fruity flavors besides peppermint. But I did a double take when I saw Crayola-brand candy canes. Yes, the crayon company has a line of candy canes.

Next thing you know Bic pens will make licorice.