A Children's Television Workshop disclaimer?

wiley207

Reaction score
I remember those from "Muppet Babies." I liked the window-shade one best.

dinoboy

Reaction score
what I found to be really scary on the show, is when they show a live action segment, where in the end of a song , the muppet runs into the camera , or when the muppet opens his mouth and the camera zooms quickly into it's mouth. Made it seem like you're getting eaten by the muppet. Or those live action clips when a person or things like a train run into the camera.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I had to completely reread the entire thread to even understand what this was about. Almost thought it was that idiotic Old School DVD's not being suitable for kids bit (as in, not idiotic because they exist, but idiotic because they have to).

He meant production logos. And yes... the original CTW logo was pretty...off. The Moog synthesizer was good for one thing... making late 70's and early 80's anime sound effects (like Lum's flying off sound).

Then again, the 70's was the time for creepy Moog synthesized, loud and braggy logos. The ones that most people talk about online.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I had to completely reread the entire thread to even understand what this was about. Almost thought it was that idiotic Old School DVD's not being suitable for kids bit (as in, not idiotic because they exist, but idiotic because they have to).

He meant production logos. And yes... the original CTW logo was pretty...off. The Moog synthesizer was good for one thing... making late 70's and early 80's anime sound effects (like Lum's flying off sound).

Then again, the 70's was the time for creepy Moog synthesized, loud and braggy logos. The ones that most people talk about online.
I love watching YT vids of people playing vintage analog synths. This guy shows the great musical potential of the Minimoog, though he does pull off plenty of those creepy production logo sounds that you mentioned.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's amazing how big and bold they wanted production logos back then. I'm sure those who were afraid of the V of Doom weren't so because it was quiet and low key. The music always had to sound so regal as well.

Oddly enough, I find that the zipping, electrical, echoing sparky CTW logo worked for 3-2-1 Contact. Don't see why they didn't think that would be off putting and scary to young Sesame Street watchers, though.

I do kinda like the new international character and Pinky Dinky Doo one.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Wow. Did you know there's a wiki for scary logos? That's something I didn't expect.

I've been looking for the "V of Doom," but I found the Viacom logo. Looking at the CTW page, I found descriptions but only one picture and no videos.

Huh, some people thought the ITC spinning diamonds were scary? They always made me happy, 'cause TMS came right after. For my money, the worst one is the THX logo. The combination of the huge, monolithic letters and the Deep Note vibrating right through me doesn't frighten me, but it puts my nerves on edge.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow. Did you know there's a wiki for scary logos? That's something I didn't expect.
You go to the right places, that's the least surprising thing there is on the internet. Logos have a huge following on the internet, and talking about how scary they are is almost constant. And frankly, I agree with some of them. Loud, minor key music. In your face ugly graphics... some of them are just not pleasant, but mostly by accident. "cept that Russian one. They wanted that one to be unnerving.

Luke kun

Reaction score

MUAHAHAHA! Which anime is that from? (has only seen Speed Racer and Doraemon)

Drtooth

Reaction score
You don't even have to see an anime. Just watch an early 1980's cartoon animated in Japan for the Western Market. It was used intermittently during Inspector Gadget, mostly season 2. "Gadget in Minimadness" has a sequence where the little monsters fall out a window, and we're treated to the moog falling sound. It's dated as heck, but it sounds great.