TMS UK Spots

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I am sure most of you know that TMS had two minutes of extra footage in the UK, because of the shorter commercial breaks, and that we now get to see them on the TMS DVDs, but what do you guys think of them? Were they basically filler, did they just blend in with the rest of the show? I think the UK Spots were mixed. The ones with prominent characters were really good, and the ones that actually advanced the plot like the Zero Mostel and Dudely Moore ones were even better, and to me any that featured Sam or Rowlf, or was an Electric Mayhem number is awesome. Though in my opinion, most of the ones that had unrecognizable characters singing strange songs ranged from good to just plain boring. So, what are your thoughts on the two minutes of extra time that featured songs and hilarious exchanges, did you like them or did you really not notice or care what the UK spot was, and think of it as just more muppet stuff.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I am sure most of you know that TMS had two minutes of extra footage in the UK, because of the shorter commercial breaks, and that we now get to see them on the TMS DVDs, but what do you guys think of them? Were they basically filler, did they just blend in with the rest of the show? I think the UK Spots were mixed. The ones with prominent characters were really good, and the ones that actually advanced the plot like the Zero Mostel and Dudely Moore ones were even better, and to me any that featured Sam or Rowlf, or was an Electric Mayhem number is awesome. Though in my opinion, most of the ones that had unrecognizable characters singing strange songs ranged from good to just plain boring. So, what are your thoughts on the two minutes of extra time that featured songs and hilarious exchanges, did you like them or did you really not notice or care what the UK spot was, and think of it as just more muppet stuff.
I personally love many of the ones with random characters singing strange songs. Yes some weren't so good. But sometimes you could get some real gems in there, especially when either Jerry or Louise had anything to do with the singing (well with the possible exception of Kermit and Fozzie singing Any Old Iron - though that one is kind of funny to watch, if only to have a bit of a laugh at some rather ropey puppeteering of a missing-an-eyeball-whatnot - decidedly one of Louise's leastgood pieces of puppeteering- it's really quite interesting, to see how the eyeball incident had clearly unnerved that then rather inexperienced puppeteer. I'm sure once she got more experience she'd be completely unfazed by something like that.

jobi71

Reaction score
Overall I like the UK spots. In doing a quick bit of research I think Rowlf appeared the most frequently in them, so it's a bit sad the U.S. missed many of his songs the first time around. But also what a gift to discover "new" classic Muppet songs and sketches at this point. And a quick comment to add about the one-eyed whatnot bit - there is a similar instance in the Peter Sellers show during Cigarettes and Whisky. The green Salvation Army Trumpeteer loses their trumpet about halfway through (it actually never looked too steady). So the pupeteer (I am assuming it was one who performed both trumpet players) gradually lowers the green puppet and they sort of hide behind Sellers' base drum. And the other was raised up because there is a huge trumpet flourish at the end. It's a neat little near-blooper-the-show-must-go-on moment.