The Gravity Falls Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
What a great way to start off the season with the U.S. government investigating the town and Dipper trying to prove to them that everything in his journal is real by waking the dead with it, which worked a little too well. Nice twist on having Soos still be Soos even after being bit by a zombie, too. :big_grin:

The following episode was no slouch either by having the twins investigate a bunker together with Wendy and Soos as they try to figure out just who the author of the books really is.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Looks like Mabel's intense rivalry with Pacifica has cooled down if you go by the end of the latest episode.

The part where Pacifica's dad tells her not to lose in an almost threatening way, along with her subsequent reaction to it, would be a great issue to explore in a future episode, too. The obsession with competition part, that is.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
So, Pitt Soda is peach soda with a pit in it. You know, I just saw peach soda at a supermarket the other day, didn't make the connection, thought it sounded gross. Now I'm totally regretting not buying a bottle and saving it for the next time GF is on Disney. Worst part, it was a store brand of a market I rarely go to.

Anyway, if there's one episode I'm really looking forward to, it's Soos and the Real Girl. Looks like it's inspired by the story about the Japanese otaku who married a video game character, and might just reference Dating Sims. Plus, it's an episode that revolves around Soos, the first one too. Nice to see another character besides Mable, Dipper and Stan get a day in the spotlight.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Great to see Bill Cipher returning and wrecking Dipper's body along the way! Loved Mabel's epic sock puppet show, along with her pony sweater that she wore throughout most of the episode! :smile:

Bonus points at the live-action puppet show during the credits for having sock puppet versions of Stan & McGucket as Statler & Waldorf! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
They really got so much crap past the radar in this episode.

Among other things, the reference to dating sims, and how there was no problem that Giffany was a typical Moe school girl (underage here, perfectly fine in Japan). But seriously... Stan and Goldie's drunken Vegas escapades leading them to a quick marriage, Soos's Abuela hinting that the grandfather's burning in Hades... just all around wow. A HUGE round of applause here.

It was nice to see an episode focus on a character that wasn't Dipper or Mabel for a change, especially since it's Soos and we get to see more of his private life this time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm sure Giffany and Melody would get a lot of Rule 34 fan art in the future! The former is a loli schoolgirl (no surprise there :concern:), while the latter's hips and thighs are fetish fuel incarnate! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obviously.

But I'm still surprised Disney greenlit an episode that not only implies that a grown man was in love with a simulation, but said simulation is a teenager. Not to mention the really subtle hints at Tentacle Hentai (i.e. one of the options was "Oh, look! A Squid"). Seems the only thing that was altered (implied by production art, probably not in the script) was Giffany calling Soos "Senpai" which can translate either to upperclassman or master. And they didn't greenlight an episode because they were afraid kids wouldn't get a Labyrinth reference.

Not to mention Stan marrying that old Tourist Gimmick (for lack of a better term). WOW!

Also, did Matt Chapman do the voice of the Badger? During his fight with Stan he sounded just a bit like Bubs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, Matt Chapman obviously did the voice of the Hand Witch. He used essentially the same voice as Blue Laser with a little The Ugly One thrown in.

I know I should be over it, but there's just something about hearing Homestar Runner character voices on television that's kinda mystifying.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Great to see another anthology series! I loved how Waddles' "smart voice" in act 2 was supplied by none other than Neil DeGrasse Tyson. And the claymation segment in act 3 was epic, with the monsters supplied by the same guys as Robot Chicken and that new WWE series available for only $9.95 a month. I liked the whole homage to Ray Harryhausen and how it addressed the decline in stop motion effects over the years, though the director's remark on how expensive the medium is probably only true for the way he did it with gigantic hunks of clay and re-animation spells.