Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, come on. You act as if there are no good video game adaptation movies. Let's see, off the top of my head, there's Doom. Er... Silent Hill. Wait, Silent Hill 2. Mario Brothers? Oh, forget it, I got nuthin'.
Nintendo vehemently refuses to license their characters out for another movie (barring Pokemon's annual animated film). I can't blame them. The Mario movie production was so incredibly screwed up that it's no wonder it ended up as bad as it was. Imagine what a bad Hollywood producer could do to Legend of Zelda. On the other hand, they're too freaking stubborn to license out their cartoony characters to cartoon series anymore. Not even comics. While they're struggling to remain a presence in video games because they're not X-Box, you'd think some thinly veiled animated series commercial written by longtime series fans instead of 80's cartoon writers would be great way to have the brand reach out.

As for the video game movies, they do indeed suck for the most part. The Resident Evil series managed to break out, but these movies often ignore the rich stories the games have and replace them with well worn cliches of action films. The bad kind.

Final Fantasy should have been a good movie, but they went for some nonsense about aliens. But other than that, even when they ignore the game's plot, there's still plot to work with. Tetris is a puzzle game with no plot. So lacking in a plot, there's no logically way to even write a Tetris Story, unless they pull a Captain N and make it a town of blocks. Even that was a stretch that only worked for that series.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
A movie about an entire town made of blocks? Or block-based constructs? Where even the people are made of blocks? Now why does that set-up sound so familiar... :search:
You don't suppose it could be that block-buster earlier this year? :shifty:
Naaaaah.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Speaking of which, I see there's a Minecraft movie in the works.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure that even at least has a plot and an at the moment following.

I know they're still trying for that Angry Birds film. While I don't see how they could possibly make that work for a full 90 minutes, they at least have a series of actually pretty good short cartoons. There's a comic book also, but it's not something I'd buy.

But when movie makers struggle with movie plots based on video games with plots, Tetris sounds like it wouldn't be any good, even ironically. Suffice to say, the word "intergalactic" gets thrown around if you didn't read the article.

....yeah... something that wasn't even in the game or remotely what the game is about.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
What? Of course "intergalactic" was what the game was about. Millions of weirdly-shaped asteroidal fragments hurtling through the corridors of space (the vertical tube that has to be filled), all being sucked down into an all-consuming black hole (the way the pieces kept sinking down and disappearing), to the shining gleam of newer brighter hotter meteor chunks added later? It just screams "scifi epic!" :rolleyes:

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Then there are those who want to purposely make the message entertaining and accessible, and they produce better done things like VeggieTales and 321 Penguins.
Oh my goodness, those two shows were my favorites as a kid! I would always watch those after my religion class on qubo, and I only missed three first-run episodes-Lyle, The Kindly Viking (because I acted up in class, but I saw a re-run of it in December of 2006) and the last two episodes of the series itself, due to me having to go to two different birthday parties.
Tim "irrevocably ruined Muppets from Space" Hill. Right up his alley, a crappy kiddy film with obnoxious talking animals. REALLY?!?!?! I mean, REALLY!?!?!?
Like that's ever happened before (Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties and the First Alvin and the Chipmunks) There's one movie Tim Hill did that people like-The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (this, coming from someone who finds the show obnoxious, ) Alvin and the Chipmunks was okay, but the sequels were better. I did like the part in the first movie where they went to some mansion with a lot of toys in it-that would have been my childhood dream come true.
Believe it or not Oogieloves is still something that gets mentioned with me and my usher buddies at the movie theater I work at,:smile:
Wow, it's that popular of a discussion? How many people saw it at the theater where you worked?
Another movie I heard rumors about was a CGI Clifford the Big Red Dog movie. And that's not all-there's going to be a CGI Berenstien Bears movie! What's next, a CGI Mumfie with Mumfie spewing pop culture gags and Scarecrow farting every 30 minutes?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of Angry Birds... Wonder how Drtooth will react that it has a potential release date of 7/1/16 and a cast of who's who? among its voices. Slated for the project are Peter Dinklage as Mighty Eagle, Maya Rudolph as Matilda, Jason Sudakus as Red, Bill Hater as a Pork Side character, and John Gad.

What made me cringe is that Fox is eyeing to remake Big, but as a TV series "for a new generation". Ugg. :attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Speaking of Angry Birds... Wonder how Drtooth will react that it has a potential release date of 7/1/16 and a cast of who's who? among its voices. Slated for the project are Peter Dinklage as Mighty Eagle, Maya Rudolph as Matilda, Jason Sudakus as Red, Bill Hater as a Pork Side character, and John Gad.
Sounds like a solid cast. Though, the Birds cartoons have them just make reaction noises with no dialogue spoken, and somehow I think that works better for the characters. Though not so much for a 90 minute movie (or a comic... they speak in the comic). To be quite honest, I didn't dig them much until the cartoon series happened, but knowing me, that's how I got to like quite a few video games back in the day. I actually hated Sonic until his cartoon series. Those mean things the commercials said about Mario....

Another movie I heard rumors about was a CGI Clifford the Big Red Dog movie. And that's not all-there's going to be a CGI Berenstien Bears movie! What's next, a CGI Mumfie with Mumfie spewing pop culture gags and Scarecrow farting every 30 minutes?
The Berenstain Bears movie was something that was threatened years ago, but nothing ever became of it. Unless something new has emerged, I doubt we'll see one soon. Clifford, maybe. I remember years back there were rumors of two Heathcliff movies. A Garfield-like one with Tom Hanks as the voice of a CGI in a real world environment, and a Garfield Gets Real- like one.. a DTV with Frank Welker as an all CGI Heathcliff (essentially making him the official voice of BOTH cats). The DTV one got as far as a trailer, and nothing happened for years after.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Does every single new animated movie have to cast three or more SNL cast members for voices? That's quite a lack of variety for voices.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dude... they're in everything! SNL actors lent their voices to TV animation as well, including, but not limited to The Cleveland Show, The Looney Tunes Show, and Gravity Falls, among others. They've managed to find the nice middle ground between big time celebrity voice actors and regular cartoon voice actors. I think Jason Sudakis even did voice over for Applebees commercials.