Questions about anything

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Taylor Swift has announced that she is no longer a country star, she's now a pop star, which begs the question... when was Taylor Swift ever a country star?

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Taylor Swift has announced that she is no longer a country star, she's now a pop star, which begs the question... when was Taylor Swift ever a country star?
She is co headlining "Rock in Rio" (A huge rock festival in Brazil) with Metallica. So does that make her a rock star too? :rolleyes:

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
I think she was more pop country. While I find her music ok, I don't think solely pop star suits her but we'll see how that develops.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
What is considered country any more? I mean this is considerd country now. It's good sure, but it sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more like calypso.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Are you serious? I'm not a fan of her work by any means, but each of her albums has gone platinum multiple times over. She may not meet the definition of "country music" (which is about the same as trying to define "rock in 2014), but there's no denying she's a star and can sell a large amount of albums.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are you serious? I'm not a fan of her work by any means, but each of her albums has gone platinum multiple times over. She may not meet the definition of "country music" (which is about the same as trying to define "rock in 2014), but there's no denying she's a star and can sell a large amount of albums.
Uh, no, I wasn't serious... I was mocking how she's somehow labeled a "country" star when practically all of her music is clearly pop; like, I hear her on the radio all the time, and I never listen to country stations. :stick_out_tongue:

But new question: what's the deal with this whole #FTOP thing? I mean, what is this? I see commercials for it all the time, and like is a show or something? Because all the commercials have a TV14 rating icon on them, but then, there's nothing at the end of the commercials that even remotely say if it's coming soon to whatever channel it would be on.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Uh, no, I wasn't serious... I was mocking how she's somehow labeled a "country" star when practically all of her music is clearly pop; like, I hear her on the radio all the time, and I never listen to country stations. :stick_out_tongue:.
Okay, that makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to tell sarcasm when it's typed out.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Maybe she was a "country star" in her mind for as long as Justin Bieber was an "artist" in his.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
True, and it's a bad assump
Okay, that makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to tell sarcasm when it's typed out.
tion on my part to think that it's obvious enough for people to get it right away when I too occasionally find myself unable to pick up on sarcasm in text.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh, no, I wasn't serious... I was mocking how she's somehow labeled a "country" star when practically all of her music is clearly pop; like, I hear her on the radio all the time, and I never listen to country stations.
What is considered country any more? I mean this is considerd country now. It's good sure, but it sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more like calypso.
I'm glad someone else points this out. Country music as we know it currently is essentially a b&^tardization of rock and pop to some extent. It's not really true country (with small exceptions). And frankly, it's the most mainstream commercial music can get. While there are some genuinely decent performers out there, it's all "Brocountry" music that's about big trucks, 'Merica, and "look at how wholesome we are! We're from the Heartlands. Now enjoy this thinly veiled sex ballad." We no longer have Dolly Partons, Willie Nelsons, and Kenny Rogers-es. Country musicians that could straddle genres and have cross appeal. And that's not even counting the old school Country music of Jimmy Dean and Johnny Cash. No, we have big hat wearing, fake blue collar guys with over the top cartoonish accents singing bland, generic songs about having big trucks. It's like the white southerner version of generic club music about women shaking their fill in the blanks, with increasing reaches and an escalating level of silliness that sounds way less cool than they think. Anyone hear of a song called "Shake your Laffy Taffy?" I did and my world is all the poorer knowing it exists.

Now, there used to be something called Country Rock, which I swear was only used to describe Lynyrd Skynyrd.