Labyrinth sequel in development - Variety report

Rachael

Reaction score
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/billy-crystal-joins-henson-which-witch-1201326184/

Read that last paragraph very closely, and you'll see confirmation that a 'Labyrinth' sequel is in development - this is VERY surprising. I'd be very surprised if anything comes of this knowing the JHC's recent track record, but it's still interesting.

What do people around here think of the prospect of a sequel? Without Connelly and Bowie, I don't see it working - for me, Labyrinth is Jareth and Sarah's story and I don't see a sequel working without them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They've been shopping around that FR movie for years now, and they can't get anybody to cooperate with them on it.

As for DC, didn't they already do a sequel, but as a graphic novel instead of a movie?

Laszlo

Reaction score
Ok, no news.. again. I would love to see a LAB Prequel.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The Jim Henson Company can never stick to anything, what happened to that puppet noir movie or the billions of other things that were in developement? Honestly, can they not stick to their words?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It also still states that the Dark Crystal sequel is happening instead of being completely dead in the water as anything but a comic book.

They've been shopping around that FR movie for years now, and they can't get anybody to cooperate with them on it.
Oh, someone does have the rights to the Fraggle Rock Movie. They just preceded to sit the heck on the license!

Yeah. Henson can NOT get a project off the ground, and this is no exception. I agree. What the heck happened to the small time, not that big of a budget, sleeper film "HappyTime Murders?" If they can't get a small project like that off the ground, there's no hope for anything as large as a Labyrinth movie. Prequel, sequel, midquel, reboot, remake, inter-continuity storyline or whatever, I don't see a Labyrinth movie going forward at all. I don't think we really need one, and the old one somehow managed to hold up better with the rise of fan fiction making it oddly more relevant than when it was released. I don't see why they don't just pull a Ghostbusters and rerelease the thing digitally remastered nationally.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Ok, no news.. again. I would love to see a LAB Prequel.
I actually had an idea for that believe it or not.I have a theory about Jareth's beginning. My theory is with the death of a goblin king before him, Jareth was taken away from his own life and wife and child. Then he got bitter, and started to kidnap babies and lure their sisters in. However, Toby reminded him of his own child, so he wouldn't turn him into a goblin and wanted to keep him, the evidence being his calling him Jareth. (After possibly a son named Jareth Jr.) I may have to write this......

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Henson Co can't do anything but lousy CGI kids shows these days. Although, with the buzz the sequel rumor caused, it may be possible to get funding for it. The question is, do we really want a sequel/prequel/whatever to Labyrinth?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lousy CGI Kid's shows that they make money off of. Any money coming in is good money, and I applaud them for trying to find alternate forms of media to go after. Though the only thing that gets me excited is the partnership with Archaia comics. Unproduced scripts in comic form? Wish I had more money to snatch these things up. It's the only partner that wants a long term investment in the company. THAT'S the major problem.

Major motion picture studios don't want to partner with Henson, yet someone looked at a certain comic strip that was irrelevant 40 years ago about a dog that eats pies off of window sills that was barely memorable in its hey day that only those over the age of 50 would care about, slammed their fists down and said "We're making this a movie because we can't lose with the younger demographic that's 3 generations away from those who even enjoy it ironically!"